Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate paying for a TV licence when I can't recieve RTE

Options
  • 07-10-2009 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I live in a duplex apartment,.. and cannot put up an RTE arial,.. the rabbit's ears don't work,.. I've got all the freeview channels with the satellite dish,.. but RTE isn't available unless I buy a sky package

I hate having to pay my TV licence (due again now) !

When will RTE broadcast digitally ?

I know it's pointless,.. but I just needed to have a little rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Gixerboy wrote: »
    I hate having to pay my TV licence (due again now) !

I hate paying tax, but such is life.

Not much you can do, except pay your TV license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Paying a TV licence has nothing to do with being able to watch RTE, or even receive the channels. It's a licence to own a television, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

a) you can receive RTE but your apartment block won't allw you putup an aerial, not RTE

b) you can get it digitally

c) TV licence is for TV, not getting reception (it sucks, but such is life)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

TheDriver wrote: »
    a) you can receive RTE but your apartment block won't allw you putup an aerial, not RTE

b) you can get it digitally

c) TV licence is for TV, not getting reception (it sucks, but such is life)
    but you have to pay twice for the privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

If you cant get RTE you dont have to buy a tv licence ...FACT *

* This is a lie, the fact that I put FACT at the end of sentence means nothing...FACT :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Gixerboy

I think RTE tested digital broadcasting around Dublin before,.. and I assume they will have to do it sometime (maybe, hopefully) in the near future,.. put some of our licence money into updating technology

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

metal clothes hanger => best aerial ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you have a DVB receiver, or a TV that has DVB built in, then you can receive RTE1 & 2, TV3 and TG4 in most areas already. The DVB receiver must have an MPEG4 decoder, so a lot of ones bought from the UK won't work, as they use MPEG2. A small indoor aerial is often enough to receive the digital broadcast.

Digital broadcast is currently in testing, so it's not always turned on for all channels. It comes and goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jor el wrote: »
    Paying a TV licence has nothing to do with being able to watch RTE, or even receive the channels. It's a licence to own a television, nothing more.
    That might be the legalistic argument, but legal mumbo jumbo and pedantics aside I would argue that it certainly is to do with RTE. From their own website.

http://www.rte.ie/about/licence.html
    What is the licence fee used for?
    The greater proportion of RTÉ's activities are public service activities but the cost of providing these services is well in excess of the amount of public funding received in the form of Licence Fee revenue. As a result RTÉ is critically reliant on a Dual Public / Commercial funding model and must engage in ancillary commercial activities aimed at generating commercial revenues to bridge the gap in public funding received.

The accompanying pie-chart shows the attribution of Licence Fee revenues, received by RTÉ during 2008, to some of the public service activities carried out. The table following separately sets out a representation of how the proportion of each Licence Fee received was utilised during 2008 as RTÉ neither receives, nor is entitled to the benefit of, all of the Licence Fee monies collected.

NOTE: RTÉ 2fm and RTÉ Publishing (RTÉ Aertel, rte.ie, RTÉ Guide) did not receive any public funding.
    licence_graph.gif

I have major issues with the TV licence, it should be abolished and let people subscribe to TV, they are running scared though. But if they insist on a compulsory subscription then it should be just included in normal taxes, the costs in policing and administation are huge and....
    What if I don't have a TV licence?
    In Ireland, around 99% of households have a television.

It would be like having a pavement or walking tax, checking people on the street for a walking licence, when 99% of people do walk. Its ridiculous and there is a high rate of not paying in Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland
    In 2002, the rate of licence-fee evasion was estimated at 12%.[6] In the Dublin region in that year, approximately 21% of detected evaders were summonsed for prosecution (6,000 cases);[7] approximately one third of these cases resulted in fines, averaging €174.[8] Only 4% of fined evaders followed up three months later had purchased a licence

It does also say
    The licence must be paid for any premises that has any equipment that can potentially decode TV signals, even those that are not RTÉ's
    So the OP does indeed have to pay, but I think this should not be the case, it is obviously intended for RTE, and this clause is a cop-out for their poor service/transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

So what they're saying is that the potential fine is only an average of €14 more expensive than the license?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Gixerboy

Since my initial rant,.. I've searched the RTE website myself, and found the following article suggesting we might have the digital broadcast by 2012,.. ah not so bad,.. it has to happen sometime soon

One Vision awarded DTT contract

Monday, 11 May 2009 16:57
    The Broadcasting Commission of Ireland has awarded the contract to provide digital terrestrial television services in Ireland to the One Vision group.
    One Vision includes TV3, Setanta and Eircom.
    The BCI said the award was subject to negotiations, which will take place over the coming weeks.
    Advertisement

Last month the original winner, Boxer, which included Denis O'Brien's Communicorp, said it had withdrawn its applications for the three multiplex contracts.
    Following the withdrawal, the BCI said it would ask One Vision, which came second in the competition last year, if it was interested.
    DTT is set to replace the current analogue television signal, which is due to be switched off at the end of 2012.
    Households without satellite or cable television services will have to upgrade to DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think that the law, while clear, is still an ass on this occasion. If people demonstrate that they are incapable of getting EBU grade 3 reception without taking a cable/sat subscription, the law should reflect that fact. This is especially true if that house still has TVs for the purpose of watching non-broadcast things (games, DVDs in particular).

We may rest assured that the good civil servants of the DCENR shall never let that come to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

RTÉ is already availably digitally, via the DTT tests in progress - however, if you can't get an analogue signal through rabbit's ears in your apartment, then you probably won't pick up the DTT mux either. It will almost certainly NEVER be available, free, through digital satellite. Rights issues being one, the fact sky pay all the costs associated with RTÉ broadcasting on satellite being another.
    Thoie wrote: »
    So what they're saying is that the potential fine is only an average of €14 more expensive than the license?
    You have to pay the fine AND then you are supposed to buy a licence on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I refuse to pay my tv license, I paid for the tv I'm sure a **** not paying for the right to watch it, **** RTE and their antiquated tax, a license for a tv ffs its not a dog! We've lived in the same place for 5 years, got 2 letters about getting a license in all that time and it was never followed up on, sometimes our inept government bodies are an advantage

Gixerboy wrote: »
    DTT is set to replace the current analogue television signal, which is due to be switched off at the end of 2012.
    Households without satellite or cable television services will have to upgrade to DTT.
    So does this mean if you do not upgrade you don't have to pay a TV licence? My plasma has no tuner so is exempt, but I have decoders & other TVs. I do know a guy with a holiday home who would have to pay full whack for a TV he rarely would use, so he got a LCD with no tuner and just watches dvds while there.
    krudler wrote: »
    I refuse to pay my tv license,
    Don't worry, everybody else is paying for you. Thats why they licence is so high, because of the likes of you. It is ridiculous how easy this tax evasion is, this is why I would like it included in normal taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

rubadub wrote: »
    So does this mean if you do not upgrade you don't have to pay a TV licence? My plasma has no tuner so is exempt, but I have decoders & other TVs.
    No such luck I'm afraid, unless the law is changed a license would still be required after RTE switch over to digital. The licence is for any kit which is capable of receiving and displaying broadcast tv so that would include a decoder & tv setup. If you only had an analogue tv it would still be capable of receiving from other analogue broadcasters even if RTE go total digital.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1972/en/act/pub/0005/sec0001.html
    "television set" means any apparatus for wireless telegraphy designed primarily for the purpose of receiving and exhibiting television programmes broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction therewith) and any assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.
    Don't worry, everybody else is paying for you. Thats why they licence is so high, because of the likes of you. It is ridiculous how easy this tax evasion is, this is why I would like it included in normal taxes.
    normal taxes = VAT or income tax? if the latter anyone on the dole or below the income tax threshold won't be liable, while some households would effectively be paying 2 or 3 times (multiple earners). More door-to-door knocking is needed to catch the offenders.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    No such luck I'm afraid, unless the law is changed a license
    Yes, thats what I am getting at, will the law change. The license is for RTE, the equipment talk is just legalistic crap to avoid loopholes.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences
    Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means) must have a television licence. A television licence is a certificate that states that you have paid the appropriate fee to the government and contributed to the cost of public service broadcasting in Ireland.....

Each year, the government provides a grant to RTE (the national broadcasting organisation), which is funded by your television licence fee. RTE has responsibilities to deliver public service programmes in Ireland.....

If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it.
    So maybe they will call your TV "broken"
    normal taxes = VAT or income tax? if the latter anyone on the dole or below the income tax threshold won't be liable
    I am not sure where the money should come from. But it says the government give RTE a grant, it should just come from where the same pot other grants come from. If that is from income tax then people on the dole are not paying for other grants. Like my suggestion that a walking licence would be ridiculous, or a "shoe tax" if the shoes are fit to walk on a footpath you must pay for the footpath, whether you use it or not. Who pays for footpaths?
    some households would effectively be paying 2 or 3 times (multiple earners).
    And I do think house holds with multiple earners should be paying more anyway. It is not fair that a single person with 1 TV can be paying €160 for what is essentially a forced contribution to a grant to RTE, while next door could have 5 people with 10 TVs all working and they just have to pay 1/5th of that grant, simply because there are more people in their house.
    More door-to-door knocking is needed to catch the offenders.
    This costs a huge amount of money, as does the processing, admin, court time, imprisoning etc. It makes no sense to me to go out catching offenders when they should not even be given the means to offend in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

normal taxes = VAT or income tax? if the latter anyone on the dole or below the income tax threshold won't be liable, while some households would effectively be paying 2 or 3 times (multiple earners). More door-to-door knocking is needed to catch the offenders.

Nope, people on the dole don't get free licenses.
    That's for people on disability and also pensioners.
    Edit: People who are blind get free TV licenses too :D

RTE have to pay the contract with An Post and this costs millions every year!
    Inspectors have to paid, admininstrators to send notice and to manage the system and of course solicitors for the lists of people they prosecute

I was in court last month, I hadn't paid a TV licence for 14 months.
    I got fined 120 euro, lol I saved money as the licence is 160
    Though I had to take time off work so maybe not.....
    I have a license now

With 99% of homes having a TV it makes sense to scrap the licence and absorb it into taxation.
    Now maybe RTE would be afraid of government interference and their budget would be slashed if they hassled a minister. We have a Minister for Communications so get some funding guarantee and that problem is solved

The only loser is An Post and that is a commerical company, it isn't semi-state, so feck them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

mikemac wrote: »
    Nope, people on the dole don't get free licenses.
    That's for people on disability and also pensioners.
    Edit: People who are blind get free TV licenses too :D

I think you may have misunderstood my post, I wasn't saying that dole recipient get free licences. What I was saying was that tax payers would be funding licences for non-tax payers if the licence was derived from income tax.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think you may have misunderstood my post, I wasn't saying that dole recipient get free licences. What I was saying was that tax payers would be funding licences for non-tax payers if the licence was derived from income tax.

Thats not awhole lot different from the current system where the honest majority pays and still a number of people knowingly do not pay dispite the fact they have a device receiving tv signals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

How is it that so many people who will pay Sky Broadcasting (A uk company that provides very little employment in Ireland) €300 a year for channels that are mainly feee to air yet have a problem paying €140 in Ireland that creates thousands of jobs in braodcasting, film & drama?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mcaul wrote: »
    How is it that so many people who will pay Sky Broadcasting (A uk company that provides very little employment in Ireland) €300 a year for channels that are mainly feee to air yet have a problem paying €140 in Ireland that creates thousands of jobs in braodcasting, film & drama?

People like to bitch and moan ;)
    My only problem is those actually paying for a tv license when they don't use their tv to view ANY tv channels and only use it for dvd's etc

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

A f*cking deplorable excuse for taxation. There are many, many things which contribute to a growing, seething resentment I have for how this country is run. But when you factor in a tax just to own my television set, it's just borderline absurd. And then there's the ad campaign... should I even start? Depicting people as criminals for not contributing to this farce? Don't make me f*cking sick.

There is not a single television station recieved in my household as we find this form of entertainment obsolete with the internet's ease of use. I have already paid ludicrous amount of money for my monitor, setup and internet connection. By far, the last thing on my agenda is a guilty conscience for avoiding this disgraceful display from our higher ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭blackbox

I pay for Sky because it is the only way that I can receive RTE.

Terrestrial reception is blocked by hills. I have been in contact with RTE and they have no interest in resolving the situation.

...so yes, I resent having to pay twice for RTE - most of the other channels BBC , UTV etc. are available on freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's a damn good point. Coverage issues would quickly disappear were the license fee be linked to reception quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Because I almost never watch anything on RTE? Because they're incapable of basics like showing programs at scheduled times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭suimhneas

they keep showing that flippin reeling in the years how many times a week is it on and then on sunday they do back to back episodes, and for the love of god dont get me started on the late late show! National broadcaster? National Disgrace more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

MOH wrote: »
    Because I almost never watch anything on RTE? Because they're incapable of basics like showing programs at scheduled times?

I've heard that one so many times, yet the same people will watch Rugby, soccer, news and a lot more than they realise on RTE. They'll listen to rte radio too.

At the end of the day, the licence fee contributes to programming quality far above what would be possible in a commercial only envirnoment. It pays for many hours of truly Irish made programming which is made by local Irish people in irish film studios.

Whilst the fee is obligatory, you are not obliged to watch anything or any channel. Same way, taxes pay for upgrading of roads in donegal - I would rarely use them, but a portion of my tax went to pay for them. Equally, a portion of my paye goes to fund social welfare - I've never had to claim, & hopefully never will, but I can't just say eff you, take that portion off my tax bill.!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

this is one debate where all it will succeed is getting blood pressures elevated. Licence fee won't even be gotten rid off and all we can hope is that is doesn't go up.
    With regards bad programming, well most other channels are the same. you pay for sky and watch lots of ads every 15 mins, the fta english channels have lots of repeats and bad programmes too, every channel suffers from the same. However, many people still watch the Late Late and hopefully the digital trials will sort most of the reception problems:I could never get tv3 but on the trial, I can get all 4 perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

rubadub wrote: »

Ironic, but the poster that you were criticising, recently had the gall to criticise programmes on RTE in the television forum.:pac::rolleyes:

Advertisement