Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate paying for a TV licence when I can't recieve RTE

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mcaul wrote: »
    How is it that so many people who will pay Sky Broadcasting (A uk company that provides very little employment in Ireland) €300 a year for channels that are mainly feee to air yet have a problem paying €140 in Ireland that creates thousands of jobs in braodcasting, film & drama?
    The problem is they are forced to subscribe to it, just because they have a TV. If people were forced to subscribe to Sky they would be bitching too. Obviously the people who subscribe to sky actually want to. They know they have such poor quality programs that many people would not subscribe to them, they are running scared so have this cosy little setup keeping the boys all in jobs. People object to the ridiculous fees being paid to these "celebrities" too.
    At the end of the day, the licence fee contributes to programming quality far above what would be possible in a commercial only envirnoment.
    Yes, it is not fair on the other companies, why is it not a free market. If sky had forced subscriptions their programs could be better too.
    Whilst the fee is obligatory, you are not obliged to watch anything or any channel.
    Yes and much of this money spent goes unwatched by many subscribers. This is what sickens people most, knowing the likes of Pat Kenny is being paid a fortune and hating the fact that they have to pay for him.

I have used the analogy before of having a cooker licence, I expect 99% of homes have a cooker too. The government could issue households with recipes and/or food for the bargain €160 per year. If you do not like the recipes/food then STFU, just bin it, let it go to waste, like unwatched TV, someone out there might enjoy the food, nobody is forcing you to eat it, just forcing you to pay for it. We could get some unknown chef and in 10 years time he might be on a million euro, but sure hes worth it.

People are watching these programs, maybe they do not have much choice of channels. If there were allowed spend that €160 on other subscription channels or had the money to buy dvds they might not be watching fair city.

But it is presumed they do like it. I expect if they forced people to have the cooker licence people might eat food they do not particularly like just to not let it go to waste, and since they already paid for it and cannot afford an alternative. Since it has been around for most peoples lives they just accept it, there are no TV licences in many countries.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

suimhneas wrote: »
    they keep showing that flippin reeling in the years how many times a week is it on and then on sunday they do back to back episodes, and for the love of god dont get me started on the late late show! National broadcaster? National Disgrace more like.

I'd rather they show reeling in the years then soaps, reeling in the years is one of the best programs RTE has ever produced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've heard that one so many times, yet the same people will watch Rugby, soccer, news and a lot more than they realise on RTE. They'll listen to rte radio too.
    I never listen to RTE radio. I'll watch rugby and soccer on RTE as a last resort - if it's on any other channel, I'll watch it there. I rarely watch the news, since I generally get it off the web during the day.
    At the end of the day, the licence fee contributes to programming quality far above what would be possible in a commercial only envirnoment. It pays for many hours of truly Irish made programming which is made by local Irish people in irish film studios.
    That's great, but most of the locally produced stuff that ends up on RTE is dire. Look at tonight, from 7pm on.
    RTE 1- Living lightly (some kind of reality program about economising), Eastenders, Fair City, About the House (some kind of interior design program), the news, Prime Time, Addicted to Money (McWilliams blathering about the recession again), The View (Nick Cave's written 2 novels?)

RTE 2 - US imports all the way, apart from the news and Anonymous.

There's actually nothing in all of that that I'd count as original quality programming made in Irish studios. The only thing that's Irish is news + current affairs, which is the one thing RTE generally does well, a couple of reality shows, and candid camera.

I'd say the big problem most people have with the TV license is the insane salaries paid to keep some 'stars' who'd realistically have no chance of getting a job outside Ireland. If they're serious about developing Irish programs/talent, then spend the money there, no millions on a half dozen talking heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

US imports being the operative word, we actually have a great amount of US imports which UK has to subscribe to sky to get. RTE provides us with a lot of nearly up to date series for free (almost.....)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

why are the posts continually making the correllation of TV licence = RTE when - as pointed out early in the thread - they have nothing to do with each other, the licence is matched with your TV not whether you watch/receive/ignore/love/hate etc RTE

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

slave1 wrote: »
    why are the posts continually making the correllation of TV licence = RTE when - as pointed out early in the thread - they have nothing to do with each other, the licence is matched with your TV not whether you watch/receive/ignore/love/hate etc RTE

The reason is because the government justify the license by saying it is to fund public broadcasting.

A bit like motor tax. It is not ring-fenced but is justified by saying that the ownership of a vehicle costs the government money (roads, signage etc.). However at least there is some sense in motor tax in that you don't have to pay it if you don't use public roads.

TV license is nonsense! It just punishes the compliant. Because a huge number don't comply, the price goes up and is very high for the average Joe wife and 2 kids. The funding for state broadcasting should come from central exchequer and any such license be abolished!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

why are the posts continually making the correllation of TV licence = RTE when - as pointed out early in the thread - they have nothing to do with each other,
    Because there IS a direct correllation, as I already pointed out early in the thread
    rubadub wrote: »
    That might be the legalistic argument, but legal mumbo jumbo and pedantics aside I would argue that it certainly is to do with RTE. From their own website.

http://www.rte.ie/about/licence.html
    What is the licence fee used for?
    The greater proportion of RTÉ's activities are public service activities but the cost of providing these services is well in excess of the amount of public funding received in the form of Licence Fee revenue. As a result RTÉ is critically reliant on a Dual Public / Commercial funding model and must engage in ancillary commercial activities aimed at generating commercial revenues to bridge the gap in public funding received.

The accompanying pie-chart shows the attribution of Licence Fee revenues, received by RTÉ during 2008, to some of the public service activities carried out. The table following separately sets out a representation of how the proportion of each Licence Fee received was utilised during 2008 as RTÉ neither receives, nor is entitled to the benefit of, all of the Licence Fee monies collected.

NOTE: RTÉ 2fm and RTÉ Publishing (RTÉ Aertel, rte.ie, RTÉ Guide) did not receive any public funding.

licence_graph.gif

I have major issues with the TV licence, it should be abolished and let people subscribe to TV, they are running scared though. But if they insist on a compulsory subscription then it should be just included in normal taxes, the costs in policing and administation are huge and....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is very true you pay regardless of what channels you watch, the problem for the majority of people incl myself is RTE get the vast majority of money from this fee.

In reality RTE should be made survive on their own like TV3 or previously how Channel 6 did and should not be supported by the tax payer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

when I get my own place, I gonna tell them to disconnect any tv from the place, and then I'm gonna play my games thru my computer monitor, and watch any tv shows for free online (at least until they amend what is one of the stupidest laws in existence)

btw, if a licence inspector calls to the door, you can tell them to **** off, as they have no right to enter your premises without your permission or a warrant (only customs officers are exempt from this), and if they force their way into your house you can call the gardai on them for trespassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭musky

I don't feel comfortable answering my door to unannounced noises. These are difficult times and the risk of burgulary and theft are more prevalent than before.

Sometimes it's better to stay safe and not talk to strangers.

Question

Are sky and upc obliged to pass over their client list to an post?

and if so, is that a violation against the data protection acts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

btw, if a licence inspector calls to the door, you can tell them to **** off, as they have no right to enter your premises without your permission or a warrant (only customs officers are exempt from this), and if they force their way into your house you can call the gardai on them for trespassing

i've often wondered about this. but are they allowed look in your windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

musky wrote: »
    Question

Are sky and upc obliged to pass over their client list to an post?

and if so, is that a violation against the data protection acts?

I believe that Sky/UPC, etc do pass on their list.

I don't believe it's against the data protection laws, but believe it's a requirement on them to provide the information. You'd have to check the specific Acts to be sure.
    subway wrote: »
    i've often wondered about this. but are they allowed look in your windows?

Yes, nothing wrong with them look in your window, unless you have already asked them to leave your property, but if they can see from the street, there is nothing wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

grand, ill be staring in my neighbours windows, legally, from now on :D
    hope theyre all naked

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

How do "performing groups" get access to that 7.7% of the license fee?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Is there anyway you can get a flat screen monitor to do the trick. My tv has wire that plugs into reception in the wall. Idont get rte so I dont want to pay the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

Was wondering this myself?! It must be the RTE Orchestra. Each musician must be paid more than Gerry Ryan!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

It's not as clear as it might be, the 'performing groups' is the title used for the grouping of classical groups funded under license fee. From the faqs here:

http://www.rte.ie/performinggroups/
    They are the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra, the RTÉ Concert Orchestra, the RTÉ Vanbrugh Quartet, the RTÉ Philharmonic Choir and the children's choir RTÉ Cór na nÓg. The five groups present over 250 events annually, including live performances and work in education. The groups are largely funded by licence fee revenue.

In 2008, both orchestras celebrated 60 years in existence. Between them, the RTÉ NSO and the RTÉ CO employ a total of 134 professional musicians. The RTÉ Philharmonic Choir and the children's choir RTÉ Cór na nÓg are for singers at an amateur level. Currently, approximately 200 adults and children are involved in the choirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

copacetic wrote: »
    It's not as clear as it might be, the 'performing groups' is the title used for the grouping of classical groups funded under license fee. From the faqs here:

http://www.rte.ie/performinggroups/

they should get more than that imo, and take it all out of Gerry Ryan's pay :D

Advertisement