Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smuggling my dog into Ireland

Options
  • 07-10-2009 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hello all, i am looking to get a rare breed of dog. unfortunately the only place where i can source one is denmark. i am considering sneaking it in from mainland europe and bringing it to ireland by ferry. the reason for this is that the poor puppy if to be brought in legitamately would have to be quarantined for 6 months. this would mean that i would not have the dog in my house until it is 10 months old at the earliest. i would worry about how this would effect the development of the dog as the early years are the most important to ensure a good temper.

has anyone ever brought there dog on holiday to europe? how did it go with customs?
    Do you think this is a bad idea?
    any views would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

What type of dog is it?

Probably a bad idea, the heart says good, the head says bad - the quarantine is there to stop rabies and other diseases entering the nation

Also assume if you got caught it would be a hefty fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I think they might not even let the dog in without the quarantine etc (if the detect him). So you'd have to go back, get it all done, and then try and bring him in again. On top of a fine, obviously.

Check out the customs websites, but I don't think even trying to smuggle animals in without all the vaccines and paperwork is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

update:

all the info here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-to-ireland/coming-to-live-in-ireland/bringing_pets_to_ireland

Also, even though they might not detect the dog upon arrival in Ireland, the UK ferry staff probably will. They're usually pretty thorough. (unless you go via France to Ireland - but driving from Denmark to France is a journey I would not recommend with a pet. It's long.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

you could get the seller to get a pet passport for the dog.

Due to the necessary vacs and waiting times this would amount to approx the same six months as quarantine before it could travel ...but at least that time could be spent with the breeder (if they agree to it)

Smuggling a pet is not such a good idea as you most likely will get cought, fined and the poor animal confiscated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jimmyn

Best not to chance smuggling it in. Could cause you all sorts of problems. The possibility of private quarantine may be worth looking into though:
    If you want to import a dog or cat into Ireland from a country eligible under the EU Pet Passport System but the pet has not been fully prepared, you must have an import licence. The pet will:
    • be put in approved public quarantine in Ireland for at least six months
    • or be put in approved public quarantine for one month and then approved 'private quarantine' for a further five months.
    The second option is only available if the animal has come from a qualifying country and meets certain requirements when the one-month quarantine is finished. The animal may be 'quarantined' for the further five months at the owner's residence, provided there is a suitable facility there and approval has been given in advance of the importation by the Veterinary Inspectorate of the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food. The animal and the premises will be subject to further inspection by private veterinary surgeons during the five-month period.
    You should apply for approval for such premises at least three months before bringing the animal to Ireland. More information on private quarantine is available from the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.

What breed is the pup? Can you not get one in the UK? No quarantine requirements for the UK - essentially a common travel zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

peasant wrote: »
    you could get the seller to get a pet passport for the dog.

Due to the necessary vacs and waiting times this would amount to approx the same six months as quarantine before it could travel ...but at least that time could be spent with the breeder (if they agree to it).
    Definitely a better option over smuggling.

Friend of ours imported a dog from Finland this year doing the pet passport thing. The breeder had the pup stay with a friend where the dog was safe and in company - the friend even trained him up a bit while he was there. Once all the necessary waiting times were passed the dog came over here (aged 9 months I think) and he's settled into his new home fabulously with the other 4 dogs that are there.

Much better than having him isolated in quarantine for 6 months ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

also ...there is no Ferry from Denmark to Ireland, you'd have to go through the UK. Personally I wouldn't fancy getting cought smuggling animals in the UK ...might not be only the dog that ends up in "quarantine"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

peasant wrote: »
    also ...there is no Ferry from Denmark to Ireland, you'd have to go through the UK. Personally I wouldn't fancy getting cought smuggling animals in the UK ...might not be only the dog that ends up in "quarantine"
    Denmark > France > Ireland?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Why do the regulars let threads like this continue and even worse respond to them.
    The op is asking for advice about something which is highly illegal and dangerous if for example the pup had rabies.

Im surprised that someone didnt hit the "report" button.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement