Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Vacuum Systems

• 07-10-2009 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi All,

Has anyone installed a central vacuum system in their house?

Currently building a new house and debating about whether to install a central vacuum system or not :confused:. Got a quote for €2,000 and thought it was a bit pricey. I've heard the suction is great but you still have to carry around and store a 9m hose and of course the pump.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Can this be done mostly by DIY using standard plumbing PVC 40mm pipe?

Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

soldsold wrote: »
    Can this be done mostly by DIY using standard plumbing PVC 40mm pipe?

Steve

Yes and No.

Yes, it can be installed quite easily (ive done it 3 times in my 3 homes so far)

No, its not standard pipe.

OP, you don't carry round a hose as such, you plug it in a various inlets round you home and vacuum the house, and you can have an outlet in the garage and vacuum the car so easily.
    The Suction is legendary!
    And anything sucked up by accident can only go to one place (the canister) and is then easily retrieved, unless hoover bags - YUCK!:eek:
    And , you dont carry the pump, the motor is positioned in your utility or in the garage and makes the house silenbt while you vacuum.
    I would have a house without one and I've installed them for about €1200 all in DIY.
    They was lads charging 3k in the boom for a system.
    Plus a system will last 20 years or so, how long would a expensive <snip> vacuum last?? 2 or 3 years maybe as they are shyte like all those vacuums.

Edit: Don't be bold, leave the names out of statements like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

Hi niceirishfella,
    Can you Pm me where you bought your central vacuum please?

Cheers,
    Eddie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Mods ... assume this is ok but feel free to remove if any issues:)

Here's the quotes we got for a 3000 sq ish storey and a half house with the unit located in Utility. Most quoted for 9 points , 1 vacpan in Kitchen and one non-retractable hose.

Details in the following order ....Contact Name Company Name Email Address Phone Number Quote

Pat McNamee Glenvac (Husky) patglenvac@hotmail.com 087 2711038 1,785 inc VAT (inc 2 hoses!)
    Gerry Rowley Sach Central Vacuum Systems rowleyg@eircom.net 086-3261664 2,300 + VAT
    Stephen Walsh Cyclovac Ireland info@cyclovac.ie 086-8801300 2,100 + VAT
    Dave Redmond Beam 086 252 4088. 2080 inc VAT

murphyep wrote: »
    Hi niceirishfella,
    Can you Pm me where you bought your central vacuum please?

Cheers,
    Eddie

The system I have is a Duovac, canadian made sytem, has never gone wrong bar and issue with the present quality of the hoses.
    The old hoses used to be of suberb quality but I'n my opinion, they are not as good as they used to be.
    It was a install and its easy to do tbh.

Re; the previous mod edit, I have not being bold, it was an error on my part naming that brand etc.
    The spirit of my post remains.

Re those quotes Junior, think about what they are specing to you.
    My house is 3000 ft +, and I have 4 points, not 9 - its all about where you strategically place them so you can get to every square inch of your house from all the plugs, not how many you have. The less you have, the less the quote should be, why over spec? You would'nt lash in way more electrical sockets the same way as this - it's costly.
    Like when you vacuum, you don't want to spend you're time constanty unplugging and replugging to get the house covered - I rather leave it in 1 for one big area and just get on with the cleaning.
    Also, are those motor units externally vented? or internally?
    Is there a outlet to enable you to do your car?
    The hoses, ask how much they are in the future to replace - they can ride you on these accessories:eek:
    Does the hoses have integrated on/off switches? if not, forget about it, its not a proper system!:P

HTH's

• Advertisement

Hi NiceIrishFella. Thanks for the info. Think we need the 9 points alright - longish house with funny design.
    Have one for the car on an outside wall too - garage wont be built until a while after the house.

Not sure about the external venting of the unit but I'll check it out. Why is this required - what are the problems if this is not the case?

Thanks again for your feedback on this..

JuniorB wrote: »
    Hi NiceIrishFella. Thanks for the info. Think we need the 9 points alright - longish house with funny design.
    Have one for the car on an outside wall too - garage wont be built until a while after the house.

Not sure about the external venting of the unit but I'll check it out. Why is this required - what are the problems if this is not the case?

Thanks again for your feedback on this..

no worries, understand re the points.
    Re; the external point- Idea, leave the pipe work availabe to plumb into your garage and have a point in there when you have it built - its the dogs!
    Re; venting - depends on the motor, mines internally vented - no issue - but if its externally vented they need to drill a hole, but no issue there either if they are a tidy and neat installer.
    I'd go and see one of their previous installs and ask the home owner would they recommend them?

Sound mate, have a buddy who is using same guy/brand as us. His will be up and running in next couple of months so will have a gander then.
    Thanks again for the heads up on what to keep an eye out for..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Elecs

You can buy vacuum systems at Kelliher Electrical. They have branches all over the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mosstown

We had our vac system supplied and fitted by Gerry Rowley from Sach (details above). His work is spot on and a totally sound fella. No personal interest just a satisfied customer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SOPHIE1

The central vacuum system works great. We had ours installed by sach central vacuums, gerry rowley. He was 200 Euros cheaper than the other three quotes we received. We also got the variabe suction unit installed in our garage. No one else was offering it at the time. It works great for upholestry and curtains. They even matched our brushed chrome electric sockets exactly. First class job. P.S. keep your hose length down to 8 meters for ease of use.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi
    got 1 from central vac 2 years ago , have had no trouble in the whole time and only have to empty it once every 6 mts.
    Its greath for people with breathing problems as there is no dust from the vacuum.
    It also came with 5 years parts, cost was € 1800 inc.
    I also got a externel out let for the car.

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Questrel

Hi there

Has anyone heard of EirVac. I was looking to get my system serviced (based in south east) but it appears this manufacturer is no longer in operation?

Welcome any insights or thoughts on who could service this system?

Advertisement