Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle parking at Galway coach/train station

Options
  • 07-10-2009 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if I can safely park my bike anywhere near/in the coach or train stations?
    I'm heading off for a few days, and need to cycle to the bus.

TIA,
    HD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

well for me i wouldnt leave it there cos it wont be there when you get back. ask at the station could you, no harm in ask,n its either a yes or a no. there be so many winos and things with nothing else to do around there late at night. cud you get a bus or some kind person to take you to the station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

is there anywhere safe to park a bike in town? are people afraid to cycle places because of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

best bet would be to leave it at the top of the square outside the advertiser and the taxi rank, cause the taxi drivers are there all day every day.

word of warning, i left my bike in town overnight once and it wasn't there in the morning (nun's island area)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

harryD what do you think now? its just not safe to leave it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I'm sorry to say it OP, but I would seriously advise you get a bus/taxi/lift to the station.

The risk of theft is far too high.

Asking in the station if you can leave your bike there will have you directed to the left luggage office. If you are going to be away for a few days, it will likely cost a bit more than a taxi.

I can't imagine that you MUST cycle if it incurs costs over and above what a taxi might...

Hope I was of some help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

OK, Thanks for the advice guys.
    It seems I'll have to avoid cycling..
    Put out by scumbags again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I don't understand why train stations here can't just offer bike lockers like they do all over the world. They even have them in the tiniest of station in the UK

translinkbikelockers.jpg?w=300&h=160

Honestly, they're trying to encourage people to be green and to cycle, but who wants to do that when your bike is at risk of being stripped or robbed if you leave it anywhere:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

They even have them in the tiniest of station in the UK
    Honestly, they're trying to encourage people to be green and to cycle, but who wants to do that when your bike is at risk of being stripped or robbed if you leave it anywhere:rolleyes:

It's not really the governments fault that scumbags rob things though. It is perfectly safe to leave your bike locked during the day. BUT DO NOT LEAVE IT IN TOWN OVERNIGHT. I'm sorry to say it will either get robbed or jumped on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

cL0h wrote: »
    It's not really the governments fault that scumbags rob things though. It is perfectly safe to leave your bike locked during the day. BUT DO NOT LEAVE IT IN TOWN OVERNIGHT. I'm sorry to say it will either get robbed or jumped on.

Eh no it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

There is nothing anyone can do to stop all scumbags. but surely it should be the governments responsiblilty (and especially the green side of it) to provide a proper and secure bicycle parking facility especially as they are the ones pushing this green alternative way of transport. btw the cylce paths etc around this city is a joke.

• Advertisement

No it isn't.

I know people who have purposely 'depimped' their bikes so they won't get touched during the day. Imagine, spending a few hundred quid on a decent bike and then having to rough it up so it won't be stolen??? And even at that they still have had bits robbed from it.

The government have introduced a bike to work scheme, they are encouraging people to be more green and rely less on fuel propelled transport. How do they expect people to do this if they don't make proper provision for it in public areas, and give grants to Transport companies to provide similarly secure areas?? They even have bike lockers in some public areas in the UK, and charge a nominal rent for the service; which I am sure that people would pay here if something similar was provided.

muskyj wrote: »
    btw the cylce paths etc around this city is a joke.

FYI Prime Time have a special on this tonight.....albeit based on cycling in Dublin, but still relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

No it isn't.

I know people who have purposely 'depimped' their bikes so they won't get touched during the day. Imagine, spending a few hundred quid on a decent bike and then having to rough it up so it won't be stolen??? And even at that they still have had bits robbed from it.

OK so I'll qualify my idea of safety.
    I have a €700 euro Specialized Globe Comp and I haven't depimped it (though to be honest it wasn't pimped in the first place). I use a hacksaw proof lock and 7 feet of steel braided cable and I always lock it beside other bikes and take my lights etc off so yes I feel safe about locking it up during the day.
    As for the bike lockers, I lived (and commuted by bike) in London for 2 years, Australia for 2 years and the Netherlands and Germany for 1 each and I never saw any.

OK so I'll qualify my idea of safety.
    I have a €700 euro Specialized Globe Comp and I haven't depimped it (though to be honest it wasn't pimped in the first place). I use a hacksaw proof lock and 7 feet of steel braided cable and I always lock it beside other bikes and take my lights etc off so yes I feel safe about locking it up during the day.
    As for the bike lockers, I lived (and commuted by bike) in London for 2 years, Australia for 2 years and the Netherlands and Germany for 1 each and I never saw any.

I can only speak for the UK recently but they definately have bike lockers in the majority of stations there now; and/or extra secure locked racks for bicycles.

If you do a quick google search you will also see that such a facility is available in parts of Oz and also Canada.

Germany and the Netherlands still had more traditional type racks last time I was in either location, but then they take a different attitude to bikes and cycling to what we do here.

Anyway, I have many friends who commute by bike regularly and none feel particularly confident leaving their bikes locked by day, no matter how secure; and certainly not overnight.

Maybe it depends on the part of the city???

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I left my bike locked in Eyre Sq overnight as we went for a few drinks after college. I came back the next day and it was bent in half, completely crumpled mangled wreck. It was a tragic sight.
    I'm sure someone had a laugh as I stood there staring at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

how about this?

like a tree that stores bikes safely...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Brilliant. But if I have to wait a year to get the Council to deal with a public health issue because of 'lack of funds', I think there's a snowball in hell chance of them buying bike trees.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You would think that a private sector company could be involved, they pick up the cost of the lockers, and in return get advertising rights and the rental revenue. Surely it's a business opportunity ripe for the picking, in a town like this?

(Much the same way that swimming pools etc are provided by the council in the UK, but here they're private-sector run.)

Advertisement