Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Printing Service

Options
  • 07-10-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I'd like to get a small plastic prototype printed in 3d. Does anyone here know of any companies that could do this for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm unaware of anyone that does 3d printing in Ireland.
    Its could be available, but maybe not on a consumer type scale. Try google/golden pages

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

Thanks mellor. I did find a few companies in the UK, Belgium and Holland, using Google. I suppose I'm looking to see if anyone can share their experiences dealing with any specific supplier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

Look at 'futura Design'

They have Rp machines

www.futuradesign.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

You could try 3rd level colleges. If you are planning on getting funding through enterprise ireland, they have an innovation voucher scheme, where they will contribute towards prototyping through 3rd level. Haven't gone through this process myself.

jimbo 22 wrote: »
    Look at 'futura Design'

They have Rp machines

www.futuradesign.ie

Thanks for the link jimbo.
    You could try 3rd level colleges. If you are planning on getting funding through enterprise ireland, they have an innovation voucher scheme, where they will contribute towards prototyping through 3rd level. Haven't gone through this process myself.

Thanks for this piece of info too random.stranger. I wasn't aware of it.

• Advertisement

Your very welcome. A bit short notice, but there's an exhibition on tomorrow (Wednesday 14th) & Thursday called "Manufacturing Technology Ireland", it's near dublin airport. There's a couple of companies attending that do rapid prototyping if you want to meet them face to face.

More info at:
    http://www.industryireland.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

You could try Laser Prototypes in Belfast, I use them often and they are both good and fast. Their website is here.
    http://www.laserproto.com/
    Be very careful with EI vouchers, I was offered two €15k research vouchers a couple of years ago to have a third level institute build a prototype for me, the small print that EI didnt tell me about was that if I used the vouchers the third level would own the IP and I would have to buy a global exclusive licence from them for the product I designed. Laser prototypes have no such small print. I also use a third level institute (that I wont name here) at the moment but as I pay them I retain IP.
    PM me if you want to know more about EI vouchers, there not all there made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 monzadesigner

3dsteel wrote: »
    I'd like to get a small plastic prototype printed in 3d. Does anyone here know of any companies that could do this for me?

Hello. You may have already got sorted,but I have full access to the latest technology in laser 3d printing and prototyping,you will not find 3d printing cheaper than what I can offer. If interested drop me a mail.
    All the best.

Hello. You may have already got sorted,but I have full access to the latest technology in laser 3d printing and prototyping,you will not find 3d printing cheaper than what I can offer. If interested drop me a mail.
    All the best.

Thanks for the reply. One of the lads involved had a contact in Germany so we got it done there. I got your pm so I'll keep you in mind if I require this again :).

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrPreachan

Hi Monzadesigner, can you send me your contact details please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fifie

Hi Monzadesigner

can you send me your contact details please

regards
    Fifie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Hi Monzadesigner, I'm interested in having some 3d printing done. Can you email me details if you can help?
    I'm looking for something with a reasonably high resolution for fine detail...

Anyone have any idea what a reasonable price is to pay for something about the size of a lego man?

I was quoted £300 by a company in the UK!!!

weiland79 wrote: »
    Hi Monzadesigner, I'm interested in having some 3d printing done. Can you email me details if you can help?
    I'm looking for something with a reasonably high resolution for fine detail...

Anyone have any idea what a reasonable price is to pay for something about the size of a lego man?

I was quoted £300 by a company in the UK!!!

I sent you a message. Monza Designer

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Hi Monzadesigner,

Can you please PM me re costs to do a 3d model of a part about the size of a small easter egg and similar shape.

Thanks!

soldsold wrote: »
    Hi Monzadesigner,

Can you please PM me re costs to do a 3d model of a part about the size of a small easter egg and similar shape.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 daithi007

I am also interested in 3D printing, wondering if you can send me your contact info.

Thanks

daithi007 wrote: »
    I am also interested in 3D printing, wondering if you can send me your contact info.

Thanks

Hi you can get me at the following www.advanceddesign.ie and some more information about the services.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tempteh

3dsteel wrote: »

Hi there , I do 3d printing as well, have a look at few examples. www.aquaprint.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ronaldsmack

Excellent information! The details are really very helpful for me. I have recently utilized the service of Protoswift for 3d printing at reasonable prices and i completely satisfied with their quality services. Thanks for sharing the valuable information.

make model | prototyping | cad files

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kevin2011

Could anybody tell me if they have dealt with this company before, I was speaking with them about a product they would fabricate for me a few weeks back and told them my idea and designs. And even though I tried to contact them afterward they won't reply. Has this happened to anyone else as I wondering if they may have take my idea. Seems a bit strange!!

futuradesign.ie

• Advertisement

kevin2011 wrote: »
    Could anybody tell me if they have dealt with this company before, I was speaking with them about a product they would fabricate for me a few weeks back and told them my idea and designs. And even though I tried to contact them afterward they won't reply. Has this happened to anyone else as I wondering if they may have take my idea. Seems a bit strange!!

futuradesign.ie

I'm pretty sure I met them at an exhibition a couple of years ago & they seemed legit.

If you're having no luck over the phone you might try getting in touch with Niall English (if google serves me right)
    http://www.smallbusinesscan.com/forum/7-ask-for-help-or-share-an-insight-general/729-new-product-development.html

I haven't an account with smallbusinesscan.com, but I assume if you set one up you would be able to message him through that.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JeffYates

Hi monzadesigner.
    I Have the need for a 3D printer service based in Ireland. Can you help?.

All the best.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Can anyone share there experiences of migrating a rapid-prototyped design to a production component? I'm considering rapid-prototyping a design that will eventually be made in injection-moulded plastic, and want to get the prototype design details as close to the production ones as possible.

Can anyone share there experiences of migrating a rapid-prototyped design to a production component? I'm considering rapid-prototyping a design that will eventually be made in injection-moulded plastic, and want to get the prototype design details as close to the production ones as possible.

If you have not done so you need to get the design modelled in a 3d package such as Pro Engineer etc. Then 3D prototype your design (should not be that expensive if it’s a small part), approve your design or conduct any changes, conduct a design for large scale manufacture review of the part. Give it to a moulder and they’ll guide you through the rest.
    Get it designed correctly first. Time spent at this stage will save you a lot of pain and money later.

I do it on a regular basis. Rapid prototype parts play a big part in product design. They are dimensionally accurate and can be finished to a very good quality. Unfortunately because of the nature of their construction they can only really be used to show how a product/part will look. They dont have anywhere near the same strength as molded parts.
    Rapid prototype parts can be manufactured quickly and they dont require a mold which often costs €10k+ so I use them to check that all the parts fit together properly before and tooling is ordered. I also use they when a customer of marketing wants to see what the product will look like. Its one thing to look at a model on a computer screen buts it often completely different to look at the same thing as a physical model in your hand.
    On average they cost between €500 and €2k for a set of rapid prototyped parts. The same parts might only cost €2 - €3 from a manufacturer excluding tooling costs. I would recommend that anyone designing any product or polymer part get a set of rapid prototyped parts BEFORE ordering tooling. If you want to know anything else PM me if its pre patent stage or post your questions here and I'll answer as best as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

If you have not done so you need to get the design modelled in a 3d package such as Pro Engineer etc. Then 3D prototype your design (should not be that expensive if it’s a small part), approve your design or conduct any changes, conduct a design for large scale manufacture review of the part. Give it to a moulder and they’ll guide you through the rest.
    Get it designed correctly first. Time spent at this stage will save you a lot of pain and money later.

Thanks monzadesigner, I'm familiar with 3D modelling so creating the basic design wouldn't be any problem. The issue (as I see it) is designing for manufacture (DFM), e.g., using design features that can be sensibly moulded. Rapid prototyping is much more flexible than traditional manufacturing processes, but I'd be inclined to design the part to be suitable for both moulding and rapid protyping from the start.
    Offy wrote: »
    I do it on a regular basis. Rapid prototype parts play a big part in product design. They are dimensionally accurate and can be finished to a very good quality. Unfortunately because of the nature of their construction they can only really be used to show how a product/part will look. They dont have anywhere near the same strength as molded parts.
    Rapid prototype parts can be manufactured quickly and they dont require a mold which often costs €10k+ so I use them to check that all the parts fit together properly before and tooling is ordered. I also use they when a customer of marketing wants to see what the product will look like. Its one thing to look at a model on a computer screen buts it often completely different to look at the same thing as a physical model in your hand.
    On average they cost between €500 and €2k for a set of rapid prototyped parts. The same parts might only cost €2 - €3 from a manufacturer excluding tooling costs. I would recommend that anyone designing any product or polymer part get a set of rapid prototyped parts BEFORE ordering tooling. If you want to know anything else PM me if its pre patent stage or post your questions here and I'll answer as best as I can.

Thanks Offy, we've had a few rapid prototypes here (albeit pretty simple designs) and have been impressed by the finish. Even for machined parts it can work out cheaper if there's a lot of raw material used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MiamiDublin

Hi Monzadesigner

I have a query about 3d printing. Could you message me a contact??

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 37 vinnyme

Hi all just to let you know we're a company based in Sligo doing rapid prototyping www.verus.ie. We have an Objet Eden 260 V as well as a Roland 4 axis prototyping milling machine. Get in touch with myself (vinny) or Mark, even if it's just for a query about how to design for prototyping or migrating from prototyping to DFM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Advertisement