Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What controller should I buy?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

4 Decks is overrated. It's fun to play with for a while but I'm not sure if tis worth investing in as you probably won't use it all that much really. If you are serious about it then get a VCM-600

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

If you wanted to change to a four deck set-up would you not just sell the exponent, and get an actual mixer and controller that can cover 4 decks? Would be a much neater solution IMO, especially in a club.

That's an option alrite....but at the moment(same with most) moneys a bit on the tight side, and the x session pro is only around 100euro...which will do nicely with my xponent!

Zascar....the price of the VCM is killing me.....and the lack of jog wheels....not really for me!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yep its expensive alright. Maybe look at the TR1? No job wheels on that either but its pretty good and cheaper than the VCM, with 4 deck capability. Otherwise the VCI-100SE from www.djtechtools.com can do 4 decks easily enough (although I never really use it) and it has jog wheels too. Notably, some people laughed at me for wanting jog wheels when I was choosing a controller - however I find them very handy. Just for things like scrolling around the track, finding the right part, beatmatching from the DJ before you, or fixing the grid on the fly when traktor gets it wrong etc.

I'll have a look in to the VCI100Se and see what the story is....

and your reasons for the jog wheels are the same as mine!:)

This is the latest mapping release: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11938 the thread has video's so you can see how it all works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Got the Numark Omni Control today, was working grand with Traktor Pro but then something went wrong and I can't preview track in my headphones anymore, tried all versions of traktor so I'm thinking it's a driver issue. They don't have an official driver for Windows 7 so I'm going to switch back to Vista. Nice controller though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Got the Numark Omni Control today, was working grand with Traktor Pro but then something went wrong and I can't preview track in my headphones anymore, tried all versions of traktor so I'm thinking it's a driver issue. They don't have an official driver for Windows 7 so I'm going to switch back to Vista. Nice controller though :D

had a similar problem when i bought my xone 1d.

there was no drivers for windows 7 so i bought a usb to midi http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-to-MIDI-Keyboard-Interface-Converter-Cable-Adapter_W0QQitemZ270544289528QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMidi_Controllers?hash=item3efdb23ef8

and used that. the drivers were released then at the end of feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

IO Vista drivers work fine in 7, have you got the latest ASIO drivers in?

Not a driver problem either, same problem on Vista. The Omni control is working perfectly, all knobs and sliders are mapped perfectly. I can preview a track in my headphones using the preview player. When a track is loaded onto a deck, I select the Headphone option to have it play over the headphones only but it comes out across both speakers and the headphones. I have the mix knob turned fully anti-clockwise to 0%. I can't figure out what's wrong, the controller is working perfectly and when I preview the song it comes out only across the headphones. Must be something with the Traktor software. Any ideas ?? I've posted it on the NI forum as well, glad I didn't buy the Pro version till I get this sorted :(

Not a driver problem either, same problem on Vista. The Omni control is working perfectly, all knobs and sliders are mapped perfectly. I can preview a track in my headphones using the preview player. When a track is loaded onto a deck, I select the Headphone option to have it play over the headphones only but it comes out across both speakers and the headphones. I have the mix knob turned fully anti-clockwise to 0%. I can't figure out what's wrong, the controller is working perfectly and when I preview the song it comes out only across the headphones. Must be something with the Traktor software. Any ideas ?? I've posted it on the NI forum as well, glad I didn't buy the Pro version till I get this sorted :(

You have the mappings right then, but thats only MIDI data. You need to set the sound settings. The image below is the screen you need. Ch0 and Ch1 are Master and ch2 and ch3 are Monitor if they use the same setup as the IO for the Omni.

bcd2000-traktor-output-routing.jpg

• Advertisement

You have the mappings right then, but thats only MIDI data. You need to set the sound settings. The image below is the screen you need. Ch0 and Ch1 are Master and ch2 and ch3 are Monitor if they use the same setup as the IO for the Omni.

bcd2000-traktor-output-routing.jpg
    Yep, thats setup as it should be. I can stop the preview being sent out over the master by moving the crossfader to the deck I don't want to preview, little awkward though :(

Yep, thats setup as it should be. I can stop the preview being sent out over the master by moving the crossfader to the deck I don't want to preview, little awkward though :(

Have you got the RCAs connected correctly then, because thats really weird.

Have you got the RCAs connected correctly then, because thats really weird.
    Yep, I can preview the song in the library area through the headphones grand, it doesn't come across the speakers at all. It's only when the tracks are loaded onto the decks. I can work it with the crossfader but it'd be a little disastrous if you forgot to adjust the crossfader before previewing the track :eek:

Waaait a sec. Are you talking about the main crossfader?

If so, thats the way its meant to work:p You are playing out Deck A and then you load the new track to deck B. If the crossfaders in the middle you'll here both out of the master, but thats why you have full left. Hit the right cue and you can beatmatch/loop, and when you're ready to go start sliding.

Waaait a sec. Are you talking about the main crossfader?

If so, thats the way its meant to work:p You are playing out Deck A and then you load the new track to deck B. If the crossfaders in the middle you'll here both out of the master, but thats why you have full left. Hit the right cue and you can beatmatch/loop, and when you're ready to go start sliding.
    Really ?? Lol, sounds right so, didn't know it was meant to do that, can see the benefit off it when you put it that way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

Hi Lads, thanks for your help in the past. My pocket has has decided to get the Beringer 3000 beacause it has the sound card and is 100 Yo Yos less than the omni.

I am buying it from Thomann, Last question can you suggest a cost effective derby light from Thomann, if thats what I should be buying that is. My gigs which just started are in Pubs and 21sts only, so you lads would know what I need.

P.S. if you really think the Omni for the extra 100Euros is much better than the 3000 I will go with your decision. (borrow from somebody):mad:

Also the BCD 3000 says it doesent have an onboard memory base, whatever that means.

As for the lights sorry for going off topic, but I have annoyed enough without opening a new thread.

Below is the comparisons for the controllers.

I done my first gig on mothers day which I hear went down a bomb. The same bar has me playing tomorrow St patricks night. I dont even know what to charge for the 2 nights as its 20 years since I done a Gig.

I have 30.000 mp3.s on a hard disk which is handy, comparing to the time I had boxes of flight cases of singles 7" inch and 12" inch singles. I think I still have all them vinyl discs somewhere if anybody wants them.

Anyhow I digress, Thanks in advance for any replies. You lads have been really helpful to me. Especially ElectroGrimey.:)

http://www.thomann.de/ie/search.html?xsid=79b11e6f9d7adcd05692da22028febc7&gk=DJCO&kf=on&oa=ala&pc=show&chk120486=on&chk108354=on&chk93741=on&chk93193=on&chk123156=on

AFAIK neither the Omni nor stealth can run standalone, think thats a mistake.

In terms of lights, I have Stairville stuff, its a thomann rebrand and good for the money though you'll need to change the plugs(Only do so if you are sure you know what you are doing, shoddy wiring + 240V + sweaty conditions = :eek: .

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

Thanks LB

No the system I have is not stand alone , I have a numark cd and mixer setup, plus a pc,

What are the specific lights you talk about?

Have You got a link?

ok,

im in the market for a second midi controller, gonna use the xone 1d for the effects and loops and use the second one for the upfaders and eqs and ****.

so i was gonna go for the uc33e but theyre hard to find second hand and its like 8 channels when to be honest, i cant see myself using more than the 2. yeh, richie hawtin looks great with 4 tunes playin constantly but i aint hawtin :D

so i was looking at the m-audio x session pro. anyone tried it?

seems cheap enough and seems to be exactly what im looking for now.

any other suggestions?

rob

• Advertisement

I only added an x session pro to my xponent setup last week, and I have to say, I'm delighted with it!

A fantastic little bit of gear!

Highly reccomended!

you buy it new?

thomann?

I actually picked it up in maplin in Limerick while i was passing through!

60euro! Bargain!

Don't think they stock them any more tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Just wondering, I'd like to have a controller to mess about with my laptop, maybe have it as back up to my decks, is this worth getting to do a basic enough job with traktor for example?

http://www.thomann.de/ie/hercules_dj_control_mp3_e2.htm

that would probably suffice for what you want it to do.

but if you catch the digital bug no doubt you will want to upgrade eventually

I've decided im going to get a xone 4d!

the job, has everything on it and no need to add anything else to it!

Just gotta save up some money and I'll pick it up over the summer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

if you use traktor - kontrol x1 and A&H Xone 42:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

http://www.musicstore.de:80/en_EN/IEP/-/art-DJE0003158-000

what do people think of this controller i was told that this is a very good controller and it maps to traktor when you connect it if people could tell me their thoughts it would be cool as im thinking of getting it

A V A wrote: »
    http://www.musicstore.de:80/en_EN/IEP/-/art-DJE0003158-000

what do people think of this controller i was told that this is a very good controller and it maps to traktor when you connect it if people could tell me their thoughts it would be cool as im thinking of getting it

a no from me!

cheer empirix have you anything else to add like give me bit of advice i dont knw why i dont want to get the omni controller tink it looks cheap or something i dont know why i dont like it and the reloop looks like it can do the job from what i seen on youtube

i was going to get the uc33e but that you cant use headphones with that and it doent have a sound card but i really want it because its so small and powerfull and so easy so carry round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

A V A wrote: »
    cheer empirix have you anything else to add like give me bit of advice i dont knw why i dont want to get the omni controller tink it looks cheap or something i dont know why i dont like it and the reloop looks like it can do the job from what i seen on youtube

i was going to get the uc33e but that you cant use headphones with that and it doent have a sound card but i really want it because its so small and powerfull and so easy so carry round

Then just get the uc33e and buy a seperate sound card?

Personally, I think your mad for not wanting the Omni Control, its a beast of piece of kit!

• Advertisement

but with uc33e if i buy a soundcard that would give me the headphone capability to list to deck a and b yes ? i have a mbox 2 im trying to figure out how to use that as a soundcard and using the headphone slot because its only letting me hear one deck and thats the one thats playing not the one i have cue'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Have you had a look at the Hercules RMX? Similar price and a very solid piece of kit. I had one before I upgraded to my VCI-100 and I found it very good. Some good Traktor maps going around for it now too.

milltown wrote: »
    Have you had a look at the Hercules RMX? Similar price and a very solid piece of kit. I had one before I upgraded to my VCI-100 and I found it very good. Some good Traktor maps going around for it now too.

no id go with a xone 2d, all in one solution with future expansion options, if you wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

empirix wrote: »
    no id go with a xone 2d, all in one solution with future expansion options, if you wanted to.

So would I but I was assuming AVA's budget was around the RMX/Omni/Reloop price point. The Xone 2D is getting on for twice the price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

IMO the best set-up for €300 quid ish is a cheapo second-hand mixer, a soundcard, and a Kontrol X1. Works brilliantly, and integrates perfectly into a club, much better than an all-in-one set-up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

IMO the best set-up for €300 quid ish is a cheapo second-hand mixer, a soundcard, and a Kontrol X1. Works brilliantly, and integrates perfectly into a club, much better than an all-in-one set-up.

on the presumption that this is a digital setup - Does this setup not lack a fader? i.e. for controlling traktor etc

I myself was looking at an a&h 22 mixer an x1 with an rme sound card(which i have) but then i wondered how do i use th mixer controls like the fader, hi, mid low end etc etc Any info appreciated, i come from a vinyl backround, which i want to leave for only digital :)

Sacred_git wrote: »
    on the presumption that this is a digital setup - Does this setup not lack a fader? i.e. for controlling traktor etc

I myself was looking at an a&h 22 mixer an x1 with an rme sound card(which i have) but then i wondered how do i use th mixer controls like the fader, hi, mid low end etc etc Any info appreciated, i come from a vinyl backround, which i want to leave for only digital :)

You route two (or 4) channels from Traktor through the mixer with a soundcard, and use the hardware faders and EQs on the mixer.

Sacred_git wrote: »

iYes, what grimey said, id also go with an ah xone 32 or 42, class mixers with an x1 id imagine that setup would last you a long time, will need an externl soundcard as outlined by grimey!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

In terms of the vestax vci 100/300, would you recommend the 100 and an external soundcard, or the 300 with the built in soundcard?

mk7775 wrote: »
    In terms of the vestax vci 100/300, would you recommend the 100 and an external soundcard, or the 300 with the built in soundcard?

It's a tough one, I'm not really sure since I've never used the 300. I went for the 100 as the 300 comes with Serato itch and if you want to use it with Traktor it needs a software translator as the jogs are higher resolution than midi (or something). It also has less buttons overall - although you can get a seperate little effects remote thingy which seems cool. 300 will cost more money in the end.

The 100 has full support from Ean Golden @ www.djtechtools.com - watch the video's here: http://www.djtechtools.com/midi-map/

I'd be interested to hear what people think of the 300 though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭djbproductions

I must say that I really enjoyed reading this thread as I will look to upgrade my set-up from a basic USB controller using Traktor DJ software and am not sure what to go with. So I will keep reading.

For me its more important to be able to use a simple set-up with no extra boxes or bits added on. So a controller and the software on a home pc is fine. At present it depends on cash flow so I could be looking at 1 of the Vestax controllers, A&H or another make.

What I like about some of the more expensive mixers/controllers is the ability to add turntables/cd players (mind you I havent used my 1210's in years so they are still boxed up in the attic!). Everybody has different ideas, to use an old mixer with midi boxes, etc, but for me the more simple the set up the better.

I am surprised (or did I miss something?) that nobody mentioned the Numark HD Mix, or is it not worth thinking about? Also I see above the somebody said "NO" straight away to the Reloop Digital Jockey?

If my boss gives me a pay rise (which is so unlikely!) I would run out & buy the A&H Xone DX or even 4D.

The DX and 4D are amazing, but if you are going to be out gigging in clubs etc its not practical to being them along. DJ booths are usually pretty tight for space, I have enough trouble with just a small vestax unit and a laptop - I would not want to be trying to find space for a Xone DX.

Also, although I may be wrong, the DX appears to be solely a midi controller, not a hardware mixer, so it wouldn't work with decks. Think I'd prefer just a mixer, and then either 2 X1s or two 1Ds, so you could simply bring them to a gig and plug in instead of bringing the whole lot.

Yep. The 4D is a mixer with Midi and is savage - would be nice as a club standard. The DX is just a giant midi controller with lots of buttons, although it does have sound cards built in - I'm guessing they are very high quality.

Zascar wrote: »
    The DX and 4D are amazing, but if you are going to be out gigging in clubs etc its not practical to being them along. DJ booths are usually pretty tight for space, I have enough trouble with just a small vestax unit and a laptop - I would not want to be trying to find space for a Xone DX.

My days of club dj'ing & gigging, etc, are well over so its a home set up for now in a small boxroom. Unless the wife allows me to convert the attic, then it will be happy days :D. So I dont mind if the unit is not portable.

I will never forget the day I tried to get a taxi to take me, my 1210's, intimidation blue mixer & two vinyl boxes to a gig, he just looked at the gear & drove away. Maybe it looked like I had just robbed a house party?

Are they in your budget? If so, definitely do it...

Here are a few video's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEA67do2jU4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQLk1pjWLrg&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay3BDZoDZYs&feature=related

I just saw from the video that the DX can actually take turntables or CDJ's etc - however its not true analogue as it routes it through the mixer. Still pretty cool though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

As has been said, I'd rather the separates (A&H etc) combined to a "traditional" central mixer.

If you're absolutely certain you're not gonna move it from the one location too often, and have the money, splash out on the fancy all-in-one, cos it would be great to have. To use in practicality, I think most would advise towards separate controllers/ mixer, or just a smaller all-in-one unit like the hercules or vestax units out at the moment though.

Zascar wrote: »
    Are they in your budget? If so, definitely do it...

Here are a few video's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEA67do2jU4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQLk1pjWLrg&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay3BDZoDZYs&feature=related

I just saw from the video that the DX can actually take turntables or CDJ's etc - however its not true analogue as it routes it through the mixer. Still pretty cool though

Yep .. think I will save up for the DX. It would help if I sold my old Roland Sp808 (http://adverts.ie/181914). I dont mind if its not true analogue, even though years ago I swore I wouldn't switch to CD or MP3, most listeners dont notice the difference.

Thanks for links above, I will watch them when I get home.

Yep .. think I will save up for the DX. It would help if I sold my old Roland Sp808 (http://adverts.ie/181914). I dont mind if its not true analogue, even though years ago I swore I wouldn't switch to CD or MP3, most listeners dont notice the difference.

Thanks for links above, I will watch them when I get home.
    was looking at this myself but had never user itch so stayed away from it, whats itch like? A lot of the pros appear to be using the xone 3d, i take it this is a major upgrade from that!

• Advertisement

empirix wrote: »
    was looking at this myself but had never user itch so stayed away from it, whats itch like? A lot of the pros appear to be using the xone 3d, i take it this is a major upgrade from that!

I have never used Itch either, so it will be all new to me. I have a feeling that after I buy a new unit I will move to Traktor Pro (already using Traktor 3.2) which is great software. Traktor LE is fine for most but I like the effects on the higher versions.

Advertisement