Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What controller should I buy?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Second hand VCI's are starting to drop in price, there's one on donedeal there at the minute with a ****ty soundcard for 350.....

i wouldn't change mine for the world, last week, i got the DJtechtools overlay and the black knobs and faders! :D

some job!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah to anyone getting one, definitely get the DJ Tech Tools overlay and mapping. I just got the latest version of the overlay too - way better than the original mapping. There is something around having to have the right firmware I'm not quite sure but its worth checking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

was.deevey wrote: »
    Ummm see the 2 posts above you :P
    yeah just seen them after i posted:o

Zascar wrote: »
    Yeah to anyone getting one, definitely get the DJ Tech Tools overlay and mapping. I just got the latest version of the overlay too - way better than the original mapping. There is something around having to have the right firmware I'm not quite sure but its worth checking.

Yeah there is a problem with firmware 1.2 and the current mappings, it doesn't really hinder the performance of the unit, just some of the LEDs don't work correctly and some of the fader fx are the same!

But still an awesome mapping!

I would love if vestax brought out a new vci 100 with enough mixer space for 4 decks, something similar to the xone dx!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

eeloe wrote: »
    Yeah there is a problem with firmware 1.2 and the current mappings, it doesn't really hinder the performance of the unit, just some of the LEDs don't work correctly and some of the fader fx are the same!

But still an awesome mapping!

I mentioned it before but in case anyone missed it: I got the DJTT firmware updating doohickey as my VCI had one of the older firmwares on it. Updated my own without a hitch and now works perfectly with all the DJTT mappings. If anyone on here needs their VCI firmware done, all they need do is drop it over to me.

Milltown, i'd like to get this done if possible, i'm running the 1.2 firmware, is it definately possible to get it running 1.3?

Milltown, i'd like to get this done if possible, i'm running the 1.2 firmware, is it definately possible to get it running 1.3?

PM'ed

• Registered Users Posts: 12 smight

Hey,

I've been meaning to make the transition for years, decks have been in the wardrobe and havn't bought a record in yonks.

This VCI 100 looks the biz, and pretty straight forward. But, I'm not sure about all this sound card business, can i plug in this thing with Traktor and listen to a tune on my headphones while one is playing ?

Sorry for the **** question - i have no idea.

cheers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The VCI is just a midi controller - so there is only one connection between it and the computer via usb - all it does it move e.g. knobs and faders on the software. To be able to split two channels of the sound, one for the Audio Out and one for Monitor Cue, you'll need a sound card.

3881004662_d148e3548c.jpg

The Audio 2 DJ has 2x Out's - one to headphones and the other usually goes into a channel on the mixer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

smight wrote: »
    Hey,

I've been meaning to make the transition for years, decks have been in the wardrobe and havn't bought a record in yonks.

This VCI 100 looks the biz, and pretty straight forward. But, I'm not sure about all this sound card business, can i plug in this thing with Traktor and listen to a tune on my headphones while one is playing ?

Sorry for the **** question - i have no idea.

cheers.

With the VCI 300 you can, it has a built in soundcard, but the VCI 100 doesn't. Generally the VCI 100 is rated as better, so I'd say get the 100 and the Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ, which is a great soundcard for only about 100. Then you can cue up tracks like on normal decks.

If you already have a hardware mixer my advice would be to get the Native Instruments Kontrol X1 and an Audio 2 DJ. The Kontrol X1 is made to be used alongside a hardware mixer, whereas the VCI is a standalone device. I've 2 Kontrol X1s and they're perfect.

Good advice there. Yeah I looked into the 300 but decided against it. Pity I thought the 300 was going to be brilliant but they kinda missed the mark. I really think there is huge potential for an controller like the VCI-100 with a built in sound card - essential a better Xponent.

Grimey do you have two X1's so you can use 4 decks? How often do you actually use more than 2?

Cheers,

That clears that up. Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

@Zascar .. responce to the audio quality on the RMX

I just did Traktor update to 1.2 ... RMX sounds great like it got a brand new soundcard !

I had a few small reservations about the sound quality before but none now, Very clean and crisp... looks like 1.1 .was the culprit.

Also have a peek at the American Audio VMS4 which will be coming out soon, analogue mixer / soundcard / midi station .. you dont even need it plugged into a lappy to operate (keep your ipod handy).

Its half the price of vci300 .. with a multitude of additional features.

i suppose it's different horses for different courses!

only advice i can give someone who is getting a controller soon, is search for the best possible second hand deal....ya never know ya might get a VCI100 or better for the same price as a new numark unit!

Grimey do you have two X1's so you can use 4 decks? How often do you actually use more than 2?

Yep, I'm running 4 decks. I much prefer it over using 2, just makes everything easier. You can cue up your next two tracks while two are playing, do more with effects, like duplicating a deck and then messing with one, and it's great for throwing in samples and accapellas and stuff.

The Traktor screen takes a bit of getting used to, because you can't see the browser, or the advanced controls, but it's worth it. It definitely comes in handy a lot of the time.

• Advertisement

That sounds really cool actually - I'd live to properly have a go of it. I have played with 4 decks but I kinda found it annoying at times. I'm sure the X1 is way better suited being designed specifically for Traktor - the VCI is good but it's not perfect.

That sounds really cool actually - I'd live to properly have a go of it. I have played with 4 decks but I kinda found it annoying at times. I'm sure the X1 is way better suited being designed specifically for Traktor - the VCI is good but it's not perfect.

Yeah the second Kontrol gets rid of a lot of the mode shifting and stuff, you can basically get away with only using what you see, without having to use different layers. If there's some kind of meet up soon I can bring the gear down and let people have a go.

Yeah we should do something like that but its kinda difficult to organise...

i find the 4 deck set up on the latest djtechtools mapping to be great!

I'd love an analogue mixer and two x1's tho, but i dunno could i give up my jog wheels!

i find the 4 deck set up on the latest djtechtools mapping to be great!

I'd love an analogue mixer and two x1's tho, but i dunno could i give up my jog wheels!

That's exactly what I'm using. I find it's great for playing out in a club, so quick to set-up, and they fit into any DJ booth.

• Advertisement

if i went with two x1's, i'd have to get a firewire soundcard, as my macbook white only has two usb slots!

if i went with two x1's, i'd have to get a firewire soundcard, as my macbook white only has two usb slots!

Also what I'm using! M-Audio Profire 610, 4 stereo outs and firewire.

at the mo, my set up is pretty good for me, i'm happy with it.
    vci 100
    novation N i:o
    Macbook White

If i went the x1 route...

Analog mixer:200
    2x x1s:450
    firewire card: few hundred...

i don't have them kinda beans at the mo!

I'd like to use your 4 decks set up all the same some time tho!

at the mo, my set up is pretty good for me, i'm happy with it.
    vci 100
    novation N i:o
    Macbook White

If i went the x1 route...

Analog mixer:200
    2x x1s:450
    firewire card: few hundred...

i don't have them kinda beans at the mo!

I'd like to use your 4 decks set up all the same some time tho!

I wouldn't mind having a go of a VCI either, the big arcade buttons on the SE and the fader FX stuff looks great, although I don't often do that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hey lads, wondering if anyone has a fix for this.

I'm using a Novation Nocturn as a sampler. Well, just triggering right now but I can add a record "page" later if I like. Push to play(page2) is fine, each button being set to momentary.

Fire and forget(Page1) works ok, but it aint perfect. The problem is those lovely 'lil red backlights.
    If I use "Normal" mode for the buttons they illuminate on first press and dont go out after that.
    If I use "Toggle" they go out but only on every second touch(Deckadance is only seeing the Off Command).
    If I use "Step" it just randomly works/doesnt work.
    If I use momentary it triggers fine, but the lights only illuminate for the duration of the press, not great when you want to quickly kill a sample in time with the deck.

I was just wondering if anyone had an suggestions for fixes? I doubt there is anything I can do, its really the way Deckadance accepts MIDI it seems but I thought I'd put it out there.

TIA,
    Lethal.

I wouldn't mind having a go of a VCI either, the big arcade buttons on the SE and the fader FX stuff looks great, although I don't often do that stuff.

Yeah, I don't really use a lot of the fader fx, mainly cus my vci is running the 1.2 firmware, I should be rocking 1.3 in a few weeks tho so I'll report back then!

If ya want a go of the vci, I'll come up and play in the shaw for ya one night! Haha

Yeah, I don't really use a lot of the fader fx, mainly cus my vci is running the 1.2 firmware, I should be rocking 1.3 in a few weeks tho so I'll report back then!

If ya want a go of the vci, I'll come up and play in the shaw for ya one night! Haha

You have a PM Lee.

I would just like to thank milltown!

A great chap, and a credit to boards.ie

Now rocking a 1.3 vci-100

Love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

anyone using a xone:3d?

could use some advice

Schweeeet you got a Xone 3:d! Nice...

No idea how to use it but if you are using traktor I'm sure there are loads of tsi's out there.

Here is a really really old video of Deadmau5 playing on one when they were first out and before he got commercial...

also this

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    anyone using a xone:3d?

could use some advice

Djtechtools.com

on the forums there, im nearly 100% sure i saw some midi mappings on there for traktor!

yeh i rememebr that vid of the mau5 using it alright. pitty he turned ghey.

thing is a monster. :D

have to update the firmware on it tonight and im putting dual boot on my laptop and putting on xp, as 64 bit 7 hates the xone series.

i have a tsi i found on the a&h website, looks decent enough.

id enarly map it from scratch myself though, but would take aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages

loving the mau5 video....a nice "hand rolled cigarette" he's smoking there too ! ;)

loving the mau5 video....a nice "hand rolled cigarette" he's smoking there too ! ;)

yeh he was decent enough back then.

think the only thing he smokes now is "hand rolled mickeys"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

anyone have tried the American Audio VMS4?
    i'm might wanna try it out if it's steady and works for all my needs

at the moment i've got a Faderfox Dx2, denon 4-channel mixer, pioneer efx-500 and Traktor Pro with Audio8

doesnt look bad actually, how much? if its in and around the cost of the vestax id go vestax

doesnt look bad actually, how much? if its in and around the cost of the vestax id go vestax

in thomann its 393:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/american_audio_vms4.htm

but it has midi, soundcard and it's a mixer (not like the A&H DX)

but you already have a mixer and a soundcard?

so just go for a a&h xone 1d or the native instruments x1?

but you already have a mixer and a soundcard?

so just go for a a&h xone 1d or the native instruments x1?

yes but if i sell my mixer and soundcard i can still have cash left after buying the VMS4.

BUT look at this new beauty!!
    http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=1522
    Denon DN-MC6000 FULL MIXER / 4 DECK MIDI CONTROLLER

• Advertisement

Gian-Pa wrote: »
    yes but if i sell my mixer and soundcard i can still have cash left after buying the VMS4.

BUT look at this new beauty!!
    http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=1522
    Denon DN-MC6000 FULL MIXER / 4 DECK MIDI CONTROLLER

ah ok, didnt know you were planning on selling em.
    that denon unit looks nice, but remember the native instruments new controller is to be unveiled today too.

you using traktor?

ah ok, didnt know you were planning on selling em.
    that denon unit looks nice, but remember the native instruments new controller is to be unveiled today too.

you using traktor?

Yeah just saw the Kontrol S4!! seems wicked. I think i'm going to buy it when it's out. They say it's winter but seems it should be out sooner as there are videos of people already using it...

Yeah I use traktor for everything from House to Techno

I was just about to press "purchase" on the VCI 100 se , said I'd give myself one more day . . .

thank God i waited, this S4 looks deadly. €899 is a fair bit more than i was willing to pay, but it looks like all you ever need what with them integrating timecode control.

Funny that they have a price listed but you cant purchase it, I'd love to find out an official release date.

smight wrote: »
    I was just about to press "purchase" on the VCI 100 se , said I'd give myself one more day . . .

thank God i waited, this S4 looks deadly. €899 is a fair bit more than i was willing to pay, but it looks like all you ever need what with them integrating timecode control.

Funny that they have a price listed but you cant purchase it, I'd love to find out an official release date.

officially "winter".
    http://www.facebook.com/aquariussound say on the 1st of Nov.
    but futuremagazine after christmas... so don't know really

nice one.

hopefully thats wrong tho and they arrive tomorrow :)

Yeah, i'd say i'm gonna be all over this

Gonna have to ring aquarius and drop a deposit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Denon comes with Traktor LE (US version with VDJ).

DN-MC6000_EM_top_00.jpg

DN-MC6000_EM_fr_00.jpg

I still prefer the look/layout of the NI Traktor Kontrol 4, no real need for a standalone mixer and I've the feeling the jog wheels will be higher resolution.

kontrols4.jpg

• Integrated audio interface
    • Four-channel mixer section
    • Full support for looping, effects control, browsing for tracks in the library
    • Sample Decks, controlled from the hardware, allow beat-synced sample manipulation, with a live Loop Recorder for sampling an external audio input or resampling a mix from the DJ app
    • Multicolor backlighting and LED
    The Kontrol S4 also promises better jog wheel support, using NI’s own electromagnetic technology to generate high-resolution touch information. (Unfortunately, NI uses their own proprietary NHL protocol; it’d be nice to make use of that control signal in other applications using something like OSC.) NI says they’ll also add external time-code control in a future update; for now, there’s not support for control vinyl for those who prefer conventional decks to jog wheels.
    The bundle will cost you, at US$999/EUR899, but that includes the hardware controller and audio interface plus software. A hard road case will be available for US$189.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

anyone know what the story is with using microphones on the new kontroll? i do the odd mobile gig and would rather not have to drag around a second mixer!

yeah there's a mic in on the s4.

anyone know what the story is with using microphones on the new kontroll? i do the odd mobile gig and would rather not have to drag around a second mixer!

In that second video Shiftee (is that his name?) uses his headphones as a mic, so I'm sure there is a mic input.

dragging this back up rather than starting a new thread

in the amrket for some midi goodness, plan is

faderfox or xone 1d for mixer duty

denon dn sc2000 midi controller. this controller has gotten some serious reviews.
    254738.jpg

it has the ability to act as both decks, via a switch on the front of it.

question is, is it really viable to use one controller to control 2 decks, or would i get pissed off fast and end up buying a second one anyways?

also, anyone any better ideas than using the likes of a faderfox for the mixing side

• Advertisement
Advertisement