Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android For Meteor!

• 07-10-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭

Just took my first visit over to the Meteor forum & found this, posted today:

http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=52&st=20&start=20

Meteor are getting an Android phone in November. I'll be holding onto my upgrade till then :) Hoping its a HTC Hero & lets pray they keep the price reasonable...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

No doubt they'll launch an average spec'd handset for the Christmas period, to test the market, and hope the general consumer buys it in droves. Once they see a good result from this, they'll probably release a higher spec'd handset for those who are actively looking for an Android handset.

I might be wrong, but that would make the most business sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Rsaeire wrote: »
    No doubt they'll launch an average spec'd handset for the Christmas period, to test the market, and hope the general consumer buys it in droves. Once they see a good result from this, they'll probably release a higher spec'd handset for those who are actively looking for an Android handset.

I might be wrong, but that would make the most business sense.

Makes sense, my money would be on the likes of the HTC tattoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It would also make sense for Meteor to launch a top of the range Android phone. Vodaphone will have the iPhone and O2 will be launching the Pre alonside their iPhone, so Meteor having a high end smartphone would allow them to compete for demanding users...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Bluefoam wrote: »
    It would also make sense for Meteor to launch a top of the range Android phone. Vodaphone will have the iPhone and O2 will be launching the Pre alonside their iPhone, so Meteor having a high end smartphone would allow them to compete for demanding users...

To be honest, is it not a bit late in the day for Meteor to even attempt to challenge O2 or Vodafone when it comes to high-end handsets such as the iPhone and Palm Pre? Meteor have never been renowned for their high-end handset collection and have only released a few of the bigger sellers of the last few years.

I now have it on good advice that it will be the Hero...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

suggesting on the forum its the hero.

EDIT: nm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I now have it on good advice that it will be the Hero...

Any idea what likely price point is going to be?

I've been told 50, but cannot confirm price yet.

I've been told 50, but cannot confirm price yet.

50, So bill pay only?

Was considering getting this unlocked, but as i'm with meteor i think i'll hold off a bit longer. I would be delighted if it was the Hero, hopefully this will mean the app store will be sorted out for Irish customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jpogorman

I'm excited about this news. It was a long time coming and hopefully the start of many Android phones arriving. I wrote a tiny app for Android so it would be nice to see it on an actual phone! Having said that, a €50 contract is still too rich for my blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

I am really looking forward some android phones too but I won't buy this as it is from eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

I hope its not a HTC hero. There are better phones than the Hero which will be available in november. look at the hardware for a hero, its just the same as the G2

Bios wrote: »
    I am really looking forward some android phones too but I won't buy this as it is from eircom.

whats wrong with eircom?

iknorr wrote: »
    I hope its not a HTC hero. There are better phones than the Hero which will be available in november. look at the hardware for a hero, its just the same as the G2

Such as? What's wrong with the hardware for the Hero?

Hero is the best android phone to date. Any that will be released in nov won't make it here for about 6 months after... You can wait, I'll have the hero.

btw. The sense interface on the htc is better than any other android, and that includes models due out by others in the next month

Hero is the best android phone to date. Any that will be released in nov won't make it here for about 6 months after... You can wait, I'll have the hero.

btw. The sense interface on the htc is better than any other android, and that includes models due out by others in the next month

I havent used sense but i thought it was going to be available on the other htc android handsets???

The magic and hero a pretty much the same phone . Im not sure about justifying the price difference.

i understand that the Irish market is appallingly slow to get new phones ( and I hate it for it) but i did say "I hope" to get a better phone.

The other phones i mentioned would be the likes of galaxy, 2 lgs phones in q4 2009, huawei have a phone out, tattoo, dell mini 3 (equivalent) . Im not saying these are better in everyway than the hero but they will defiantly offer an alternative or should i say, a more frugal choice.

has anyone got any info why meteor pull down the android thread on their forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Vodafone has appeared in the android market for Ireland lately. Meteor isn't shown yet

market.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

the thread on meteor's been removed :S

so has anyone got any updates? Iv managed to get my hands on the first page of the original meteor thread.

http://rapidshare.de/files/48524231/Jul_29_2009_meteor.doc.html

Vodafone just annouced that they'll be selling the Tattoo. Perhaps the reason Meteor deleted the thread is that they've lost the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Tatoo is a different phone and a pretty poor entry level phone at that. HTC Hero is different piece of kit..

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

I think vodafone will hold off on higher end android phones this christmas as they want to promote their own 360 platform and the two Samsung phones that are being released with it.

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Tatoo is a different phone and a pretty poor entry level phone at that. HTC Hero is different piece of kit..

The people working at the meteor website never mentioned the Hero specifically, they talked about Android generally. Given the specs i'd regard the tattoo as an excellent entry level phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

This is irrelevant, but anyway, of the guys on 3's customer support chat said they are planning on releasing an android handset. They wouldn't say which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

According to Vodafone's forum they have the tattoo exclusively until Spring 2010

Yeah, good entry level phone but not the killer phone people on Vodafone have been waiting for, a good start all the same.

Yeah, they never mentioned the Hero, but they are testing it, believe me.

Yeah, good entry level phone but not the killer phone people on Vodafone have been waiting for, a good start all the same.

Yeah, they never mentioned the Hero, but they are testing it, believe me.

Meteor or vodafone?

Meteor or vodafone?

Meteor, told a month or so ago, before any Android handset was announced on the meteor forum...

Meteor, told a month or so ago, before any Android handset was announced on the meteor forum...

I got confirmation today that it is the hero. To be released in november, with a price guesstimate being 200 on the cheap bill pay.

Side note: Theres also a little problem with some meteor upgrade phones being non-upgrades due to a supplier mismatch (excuse)
    (when u register u dont get the upgrade credit due to incorrect imei)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

This is irrelevant, but anyway, of the guys on 3's customer support chat said they are planning on releasing an android handset. They wouldn't say which one.

I think 3's customer service have said that they are planning to release almost every handset people have asked them about! :D
    I got confirmation today that it is the hero. To be released in november, with a price guesstimate being 200 on the cheap bill pay.

€200 on billpay! Ouch. That price is going to put people off, considering that you can get the Pre for €49 on bill and the iPhone 3G for €99. Same price as the 3GS on bill; I wonder will it tempt people away?

Advertisement