Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android For Meteor!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

€200 on billpay! Ouch. That price is going to put people off, considering that you can get the Pre for €49 on bill and the iPhone 3G for €99. Same price as the 3GS on bill; I wonder will it tempt people away?[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, but as i said it was a guesstimate. I think that was keeping in the mind the price of the n97 being 299/269. To be honest it is expensive for bill pay, especially when you will need the unlimited data add-on for meteor @ €15.

Someone mentioned earlier on the thread about the android phone being €50. That would make it a very good competitor to the iphone on o2 with the €40 O2 plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

iknorr wrote: »
    with a price guesstimate being 200 on the cheap bill pay.

€200 on the cheap bill pay, it could be €0 on a high tariff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Bluefoam wrote: »
    €200 on the cheap bill pay, it could be €0 on a high tariff...

ya the phones are usually cheaper on better tariffs. 200 is the most it'll cost!

It appears there is something wrong with the meteor website or else they have blocked me from posting on the android thread. Note the time on the top right of the attachment.
    I can edit previous posts but cant post anything new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

• Advertisement

Report on other sites about the Hero on meteor and bill pay plans

http://techfeen.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

https://store.meteor.ie/ On Front Page, Its the Hero

Am looking forward to this. I hope the pricing is good.

It certainly seems to be a good answer to the iphone or pre.

nice one meteor.

If its not free on bill pay id be very disappointed. This is apparently going to be available on prepay. Pre pay phones on meteor dont really go above €250. But keep in mind Meteor can probably pick up the hero for about 250 (less tax & bulk buying) . now 250 is easily covered on any of the bill pay phones available. So will it be free? Fingers crossed that it will be. Also remember that the tattoo is coming to vodafone....i wonder what they will be offering.

If its not free on bill pay id be very disappointed. This is apparently going to be available on prepay. Pre pay phones on meteor dont really go above €250. But keep in mind Meteor can probably pick up the hero for about 250 (less tax & bulk buying) . now 250 is easily covered on any of the bill pay phones available. So will it be free? Fingers crossed that it will be. Also remember that the tattoo is coming to vodafone....i wonder what they will be offering.

The arena on meteor is €99 so i'm not too confident about the price. But can only hope.

• Advertisement

The arena on meteor is €99 so i'm not too confident about the price. But can only hope.

But lg arena is still about 325 sim free. It was an expensive phone. Im surprised they are still selling it.

I didn't realise the hero was a budget phone

I didn't realise the hero was a budget phone

Who said anything about the hero being a budget phone?

Who said anything about the hero being a budget phone?
    That is the impresion I got from your comments...
    But lg arena is still about 325 sim free. It was an expensive phone. Im surprised they are still selling it.
    Meteor can probably pick up the hero for about 250 (less tax & bulk buying) . now 250 is easily covered on any of the bill pay phones available.
    Sounds like you are pulling figures out of space...

Where do you get your figures... How do you know how much they can buy these phones for? They will probably price the Hero based on the achievable market price (what people will pay) v's cost to them v's maximum margin v's quantity available v's cost of similar phones on other networks - sim free prices don't come into it as most people never even consider or are aware of the option.

However, a basic retail comparison:
    Hero Sim Free - €464.99
    Arena Sim Free - €384.99
    This would suggest that the Hero would be more expensive than the Arena...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Released from the 1st of November
    PAYG €399
    Bill pay from €99.99
    Link http://www.meteor.ie/about/news/2009/221009/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Released from the 1st of November
    PAYG €399
    Bill pay from €99.99
    Link http://www.meteor.ie/about/news/2009/221009/

Was hoping for a better price on PAYG. There's a few good sellers on ebay offering unlocked heros (inc. shipping) for about the same price.

€99 is fine on bill, pretty much as expected. Great thing about meteor is that you don't have to sign up for a crippling plan or 18month contract...

That is the impresion I got from your comments...

Sounds like you are pulling figures out of space...

Where do you get your figures... How do you know how much they can buy these phones for? They will probably price the Hero based on the achievable market price (what people will pay) v's cost to them v's maximum margin v's quantity available v's cost of similar phones on other networks - sim free prices don't come into it as most people never even consider or are aware of the option.

However, a basic retail comparison:
    Hero Sim Free - €464.99
    Arena Sim Free - €384.99
    This would suggest that the Hero would be more expensive than the Arena...

I use play.com There generally offer an average internet price. but if u look at clove uk u can get the hero cheaper there. ( last time i checked)

I do agree that the hero should be more than the Arena. I never said it wasnt. What i did do i make a guestimate based on other phones that they offer on bill pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

I use play.com There generally offer an average internet price. but if u look at clove uk u can get the hero cheaper there. ( last time i checked)

I do agree that the hero should be more than the Arena. I never said it wasnt. What i did do i make a guestimate based on other phones that they offer on bill pay.

Just did a dummy order, to get this phone delivered from Clove.co.uk it would cost €423 (or £382.95)

Some would say it is worth the extra to get it sim free, but there is the hassle of having to return it to the UK if there are any problems.

IH77 wrote: »
    Just did a dummy order, to get this phone delivered from Clove.co.uk it would cost €423 (or £382.95)

Some would say it is worth the extra to get it sim free, but there is the hassle of having to return it to the UK if there are any problems.

I used a hero last week. They guy got it from a seller on amazon uk. for around "380 including delivery".
    Yeah the hassle of warranty etc is a pain in the ass. I had to ship a an electric piano to the uk 2 days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Warranty is Europe wide. Now if HTC don't have a repair agent here then fine, you may need to ship it - if they have a repair agent here then that's who you use.

I used a hero last week. They guy got it from a seller on amazon uk. for around "380 including delivery".
    Yeah the hassle of warranty etc is a pain in the ass. I had to ship a an electric piano to the uk 2 days ago.

iknorr

Your blog says
    After Christmas, it is expected that the price will become free on bill pay and drop to 300-350 on PAYG.

What is your source?

iknorr

Your blog says

What is your source?

I have a friend working in meteor. (well, 2 friends) But as i said it is expected. I didnt say it was fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

iknorr

Your blog says

What is your source?

Wouldn't surprise me to be honest; the phone will be 6 months old at that stage, the christmas market will have passed and HTC will have other higher spec phones to push making the hero cheaper for Meteor to acquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Hmm €399 payg aint the worst to get it in a bricks and mortar shop.
    What i want to know is will this be branded and/or locked by meteor and how badly branded because if its bad and they have tampered with the software ill probably go sim free for the little extra

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Hmm €399 payg aint the worst to get it in a bricks and mortar shop.
    What i want to know is will this be branded and/or locked by meteor and how badly branded because if its bad and they have tampered with the software ill probably go sim free for the little extra

Branding im fine with. Tampering with software....as in messing with the interface .... not acceptable. They cant shouldnt do that. It takes the joys of having an "open" handset away.

then again you could go down the road of rooting it.

You should ask a question in the android thread on meteor here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

Branding im fine with. Tampering with software....as in messing with the interface .... not acceptable. They cant shouldnt do that. It takes the joys of having an "open" handset away.

then again you could go down the road of rooting it.

You should ask a question in the android thread on meteor here

I'd already ordered the Hero to use on Meteor before they announced it but as far as rooting it is concerned, I did a quick search on YouTube and it seems to be dead easy to do. Copy an image, reboot open one app and it's done.
    http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks for that, hope to get mine on the 1st :)

Advertisement