Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android For Meteor!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

rizzee wrote: »
    Thanks for that, hope to get mine on the 1st :)

Iv stuck some questions up about the availability of the hero on Sunday 1st. Meteor said from the 1st it will be available. Does it mean it will be starting to appear in stores from the 1st.....as in, some wont get it on the 1st?

Maybe im just worried about not getting it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Yes I see that mate, i've been posting on that thread too :P

Hmm I reckon your right, they're not exactly going to say it's released on the 1st November and not have it? Perhaps they might have a limited stock, just like every other phone and get more and more in as weeks go by :)

What you think? Just my two cent!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

Yes I see that mate, i've been posting on that thread too :P

Hmm I reckon your right, they're not exactly going to say it's released on the 1st November and not have it? Perhaps they might have a limited stock, just like every other phone and get more and more in as weeks go by :)

What you think? Just my two cent!
    Saying it's released on the first is a little strange as I doubt they will deliver it on a Sunday morning to each and every store, it'll be probably dropped off on Friday.
    What i'm wondering about is does Meteor's network support HSDPA or just UTMS, and what colours is it coming in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

paddy2k wrote: »
    Saying it's released on the first is a little strange as I doubt they will deliver it on a Sunday morning to each and every store, it'll be probably dropped off on Friday.
    What i'm wondering about is does Meteor's network support HSDPA or just UTMS, and what colours is it coming in?

went in to meteor store to ask about availability. They said sun 1st is the online date its available - whatever that means i dont know - they should have it in store couple of days after. So i expect them to get the phones on monday or tues at latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

As Meteor were last to launch a 3G network, they went with HSDPA from the start. They currently offer speeds up to 14.4 Mbps, however, it would take a miracle for you to reach that speed. At the moment, they are the fastest HSDPA network, in theory, in the country.

• Advertisement

Rsaeire wrote: »
    As Meteor were last to launch a 3G network, they went with HSDPA from the start. They currently offer speeds up to 14.4 Mbps, however, it would take a miracle for you to reach that speed. At the moment, they are the fastest HSDPA network, in theory, in the country.

Are you sure? I'm a Meteor customer using a SE W910i and on HSDPA networks it shows a little H in the notification bar (I know this from using it on 3 also), but on Meteor it only shows 3G which means UMTS connectivity. Gonna have to ask them on their forum whenever they get round to approving me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

What I'm wondering is whether on bill pay it will be restricted to the higher price bill pay plans. I know that's what O2 did for the iphone, I hope meteor doesn't go down the same road. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 keeluz

The 14.4 (knows as HSPA+ isn't rolled out yet, but the network is upgradeable...they said this was they lauched their broadband. I think they annouced at the Volvo Ocean Race in Galway over the summer that is was coming soon.
    That said, their 7.2 network (seems to be in most cities now) is getting good reports.

In any case 14.4 / 7.2 is a theoretical speed...you would really need a 28.8 network rolled out to get speeds up near 14.4

iUseVi wrote: »
    What I'm wondering is whether on bill pay it will be restricted to the higher price bill pay plans. I know that's what O2 did for the iphone, I hope meteor doesn't go down the same road. ;)

Good question, I've asked that on the support forums, i most certainly hope not, would be the biggest load of bollox ever TBH! I can't see them doing that, can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 keeluz

iUseVi wrote: »

It's gonna be available on all current tariffs, but the price quoted is for the higher ones. Not gonna do what O2 did with the iPhone (premium tariffs)...which I also hear will be the case for the Palm Pre.

• Advertisement

Good question, I've asked that on the support forums, i most certainly hope not, would be the biggest load of bollox ever TBH! I can't see them doing that, can you?

I'm hoping not :D If I get the phone for €99 on the €20 plan and the €5 euro data top-up (http://meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/add_ons/data_add_ons/) that wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

I don't think the unlimited data add-on would be necessary since wifi is available to me quite a lot of the time. (Hmmm maybe I'll just get the €10 euro plan and make heavy use of skype! :p)

keeluz wrote: »
    It's gonna be available on all current tariffs, but the price quoted is for the higher ones. Not gonna do what O2 did with the iPhone (premium tariffs)...which I also hear will be the case for the Palm Pre.

Best news i've heard all day. Where did you hear that info mate?

Judging by online prices ( Nokia E71 and E66 also @ from 99euro) then the max price will be 159.99 euro... Seems a bit cheap don't you think?

Oh that's good to hear so my above post is a waste. But can I ask where you get your info from?

has anyone ordered from meteor online yet? Can you sign up for bill pay via meteors online store? Any idea how long it will take to be delivered?

iknorr wrote: »
    has anyone ordered from meteor online yet? Can you sign up for bill pay via meteors online store? Any idea how long it will take to be delivered?

No you can't sign up to Bill Pay online mate. In store with proof of I.D and all that Jazz. I'll probably put in my information online ( theres something you can click on the site, you enter all your bill pay information, and the chap in-store loads it on the screen, saving about 15mins) and collect instore, when I know the exact price on my contract!

It takes 2-3 working days max to recieve a phone online, like i said PAYG only.

Oh looks like you can only do it as a new meteor customer also....

Thanks mate, Grr hassle :( I'll do it in store next week so!

Hope I get an email with more information on the Hero... need exact prices!!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Yup got HSDPA on my Hero, though signal is not great in Dublin suburbs (still usable, but 2-3 bars out of 5).

Are you sure? I'm a Meteor customer using a SE W910i and on HSDPA networks it shows a little H in the notification bar (I know this from using it on 3 also), but on Meteor it only shows 3G which means UMTS connectivity. Gonna have to ask them on their forum whenever they get round to approving me.

Yes, I'm sure. UMTS/WCDMA downlink speeds max out at 384 Kbps. For speeds greater than this, HSDPA is required. From reading through the W910i manual, there appears to be a 3G icon available on the handset, but no HSDPA symbol. The W910i does, however, support HSDPA speeds up to 3.6 Mbps, as evidenced from the review on GSMArena.

The 14.4 (knows as HSPA+ isn't rolled out yet, but the network is upgradeable...they said this was they lauched their broadband. I think they annouced at the Volvo Ocean Race in Galway over the summer that is was coming soon.
    That said, their 7.2 network (seems to be in most cities now) is getting good reports.

In any case 14.4 / 7.2 is a theoretical speed...you would really need a 28.8 network rolled out to get speeds up near 14.4

I beg to differ, but the "up to 14.4 Mbps" speed stated in my previous post, and in reference to Meteor's HSDPA network, is correct and this information can be found in a Meteor press release from March of this year regarding the aforementioned HSDPA speed as well as the launch of Meteor's Broadband to Go service.

In addition, I find it odd that you'd mention that "up to 14.4 Mbps" is a "theoretical speed", since I already made note of this in my previous post by stating "it would take a miracle for you to reach that speed" and "they are the fastest HSDPA network, in theory, in the country".

From reading through the W910i manual, there appears to be a 3G icon available on the handset, but no HSDPA symbol. The W910i does, however, support HSDPA speeds up to 3.6 Mbps, as evidenced from the review on GSMArena.

From 3 years experience with 4 Sony Ericsson devices the 3G icon I mentioned above appears on UMTS handsets (k610i, w960i) and on the w910i when used on the Meteor network.
    However when the w910i is used on the 3 HSDPA network the 3G becomes a H. I have seen the same H symbol on a w890 on O2, with is a HSDPA network.

Hence I can only assume that Meteor are only running UMTS instead of HSDPA.

• Advertisement

From 3 years experience with 4 Sony Ericsson devices the 3G icon I mentioned above appears on UMTS handsets (k610i, w960i) and on the w910i when used on the Meteor network.
    However when the w910i is used on the 3 HSDPA network the 3G becomes a H. I have seen the same H symbol on a w890 on O2, with is a HSDPA network.

That does seem very strange, especially considering there is a H symbol on the W910i, as you've noted, when used on O2's HSDPA network, but only a 3G symbol when used with Meteor. I can assure you, however, that there is no way Meteor has a UMTS network only, as that would mean speeds would be limited to 384 Kbps at most and speeds are clearly not that slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

iknorr wrote: »
    €200 on billpay! Ouch. That price is going to put people off, considering that you can get the Pre for €49 on bill and the iPhone 3G for €99. Same price as the 3GS on bill; I wonder will it tempt people away?

I totally agree, but as i said it was a guesstimate. I think that was keeping in the mind the price of the n97 being 299/269. To be honest it is expensive for bill pay, especially when you will need the unlimited data add-on for meteor @ €15.

Someone mentioned earlier on the thread about the android phone being €50. That would make it a very good competitor to the iphone on o2 with the €40 O2 plan.

Is this on the meteor website? Call me a dope....but while you're calling me it can ya show me the link ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

scudzilla wrote: »
    Is this on the meteor website? Call me a dope....but while you're calling me it can ya show me the link ;)

http://meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/add_ons/data_add_ons/ here ya go

I can't talk from experience about Meteor phones, I am a Vodafone customer (will switch when Hero arrives!)
    But I do have Meteor Mobile Broadband which does indicate at this very moment that it thinks it is connected to HSDPA. Speeds are in line with HSDPA, although to be fair coverage is dodgey even thought the modem is stationary sometimes it falls back on "3G" which I assume is must be UMTS or other.

That does seem very strange, especially considering there is a H symbol on the W910i, as you've noted, when used on O2's HSDPA network, but only a 3G symbol when used with Meteor. I can assure you, however, that there is no way Meteor has a UMTS network only, as that would mean speeds would be limited to 384 Kbps at most and speeds are clearly not that slow.

Wierd, I'll have to log a question with them on their forum.
    Maybe they have a QoS system that deprioritises pre-pay handsets to UTMS and only lets dongles benefit from HSDPA.

Anyway this is getting off topic, i'm sure the Hero will perform grand on their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Im delighted android is finally getting an official launch in Ireland - that might mean that the paid apps market might finally open up. I've about €20's worth of spending to do on upgrading my "lite" versions :)

Just FYI, o2 are launching an android phone next month too. Pity it's the watered down version of the galaxy and not the actual galaxy. Reckon they're prob doing that so they dont eat into their iphone cash cows plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Just FYI, o2 are launching an android phone next month too. Pity it's the watered down version of the galaxy and not the actual galaxy. Reckon they're prob doing that so they dont eat into their iphone cash cows plans.

Just had a qucik look at the Samsung Galaxy Spica - not too bad.

For a phone that could be over €100 cheaper than the Hero (based on prices on GSM Arena), there didn't seem to be too much different (5MP v 3.15 MP camera was one obvious difference).

Obviously there are other differences to justify the difference in price, just couldn't see?

The design is somewhat... cheap and ''standard'' imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

IH77 wrote: »
    Just had a qucik look at the Samsung Galaxy Spica - not too bad.

For a phone that could be over €100 cheaper than the Hero (based on prices on GSM Arena), there didn't seem to be too much different (5MP v 3.15 MP camera was one obvious difference).

Obviously there are other differences to justify the difference in price, just couldn't see?

Ye it runs stock android (which i actually really like, but some people like a particularly pretty UI like the hero), and the camera are the main differences. Perhaps slightly less ram, though not enough to affect performance. Oh it's a tft screen rather than amoled like the proper galaxy.

• Advertisement

has anyone heard anything new about the hero?

Advertisement