Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland - The door is firmly shut (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

• 07-10-2009 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

The last thread is dead and we said it wouldn't be reopened unless there was further news. The lack of the search function means it's difficult to find anyway.

This story was published on eleven-a-side.com today and gives Stephen's thoughts/opinions on the whole issue.

I think it's quite interesting, and there is a hell of a lot I don't agree with, and also some that I do.

Have a read and post your thoughts but PLEASE don't resort to any sort of abuse. If we go down that road the thread will be locked and infractions/bans handed out.

Hopefully this is the last thread we will have on the matter.

Thanks

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/news.asp?n=37310
    I will never wear the green again – Ireland

October 7, 2009

Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland says he always resented international football - and that he will never represent the Republic of Ireland again.

Ireland’s last appearance for the international team came under Steve Staunton more than two years ago.

The in-form City star insists he has no thoughts of returning to the fold – regardless of whether Giovanni Trapattoni’s side book a place in next summer’s World Cup finals.

Speaking about his international career as a whole, Ireland insists that the roots of his decision to distance himself from the national team go all the way back to his mid-teens.

In a candid interview with the Daily Mirror, he said: “Even with the prospect of the World Cup, it hasn’t crossed my mind once about going back. I never felt part of the squad and I never will.

“My parents encouraged me to play and said it was really important for my development. I played for the under-14s, under-15s and so on, but as soon as I came over here and signed my contract with City, I said ’that’s it’. I rejected going to a lot of the squads.

“I got called up to the full squad under Brian Kerr, then we had a massive fall-out. I stayed away for two or three years, which was a blessing in disguise. Then Steve Staunton called me up, and I’d just broken into the City team, so I felt I had to go. But after two or three squads I was thinking ’what am I doing here?’.

“There were times I’d finish a game with City at 8pm, then I was meant to meet up with the Ireland squad at 10pm in Dublin. I’d just ring up and say I don’t feel well. There was nothing wrong with me, I just had no intention of ever going. I just never enjoyed it.”

Ireland wishes his former team-mates well in their quest to reach South Africa next summer, but he insists he has no longing to be involved.

”When I watch Ireland games it’s weird,” he said. ”It’s like I was never there and I don’t miss it all if I’m honest. People forget that I only played six games. I just seem to be into the routine and the mindset that when the international break comes around, I’m not there.

“I love being able to do things with my kids. During the last international break they were about to start school, so it was nice to take them away for a few days. When the international break comes around it’s like ’great, what am I doing with the kids’, not ’oh I hope I’m not in the squad’.

“A lot of people would probably think I’d love to go to the World Cup, but to be honest it hasn’t really crossed my mind once. I hope they get there, it would be great for the country if they did. It would be a massive achievement for the manager and the players [but] personally, I think internationals are going to be something of the past. The pride of it and all that, I just think it’s getting lesser and lesser.

“Players these days don’t see as pride in their country, they see it more as a chore, you know ’God, I have to go again’. That was the way it always was for me. I think you’ll be surprised how many players - young ones at that - who will retire from international football after the World Cup.

“Look how many games they play a year, and all the pressure from club football, it’s hard to see many players really enjoying international football any more.”

The 23-year-old also repeated accusation’s of Trapattoni’s arrogance, alleging that the veteran Italian answered FOUR DIFFERENT PHONES during their meeting to discuss a possible return.

He said: “I met Trapattoni for a chat at a hotel near Manchester Airport last year but that did nothing for me. It made no sense whatseover. In fact, I felt like there was a lot of arrogance going on, so I just felt like I wasn’t really interested.

“Me and my financial adviser, who’s looked after me all my life and is someone I really trust, sat down with Trapattoni, his right-hand man and Liam Brady. In the middle of chatting, like we are now, he’d have four different phones going off and he kept leaving the room to talk to people.

“He’d come back, say ’sorry where was I?’ but then another one would go off and after the third or fourth time this happened, I heard another phone ringing. Trapattoni went over to where the phone was ringing and got it out of one of his bags. We were just sat there like, ’what is going on?’.

“After that we had a chat and, I guess he shouldn’t have to sell it to me. But I think he should have made some sort of effort to sell it to me, and he just never really did that. I think he felt like I’d just want to come running back, because I think at the time he didn’t rate me as a player.

“But that was before last season. Since then he hasn’t spoken to me once. Then, over the summer, Ireland had a game away against Bulgaria. A week before that game I was in my garden, playing with the kids. I answered my phone by accident, as I was checking the time, and it was Trapattoni.

“He asked me if there was a possibility of meeting up in the future. I hadn’t given it any thought, but I said guess there was no harm in meeting him. I thought he meant in the next few days, for the Bulgaria game. I said ’when?’ and he said ’four months’. I thought that was weird, but I said I suppose it wouldn’t do any harm.

“But I think he made that call for his own benefit, rather than mine, because he said to me ’Is it okay if I tell the press I’ve spoken to you and there’s a chance of you coming back?’.

“I said ’you can tell people we’ve spoken and maybe we’ll meet up in the future, but don’t say there’s a chance of me coming back because there probably isn’t’. As soon as he switched from taking about meeting up with me to announcing it to the media, I knew what his agenda was.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Good riddance. I mean just reading through that, it's clear that his entire attitude towards his country's team stinks and we're better off without that sort of influence within the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Does anyone believe what he is saying? I'm sure that it is true, but, with a favoured tint towards himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Case closed bye bye..

now about this Andy Reid thing....:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If we qualify for the WC we'll no doubt play friendlies etc.
    Trapp should call him up to the squad, if he doesn't turn up then we know for sure he's no interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Every kid's dream..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

about ****ing time tbh.

if he had no intention of ever coming back, he should have been crystal clear months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Voltwad wrote: »
    Every kid's dream..

But is it though?

Do kids go around the local park pretending to be Cristiano Ronaldo/Steven Gerrard or Damien Duff/Robbie Keane?

I think that's the sort of point Ireland is trying to make about international football losing its appeal. Kids nowadays would rather play for Manchester United or Liverpool, or Manchester City in this case, than for Ireland. The Premier League is where the glitz and glamour is, rightly or wrongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Good riddance is spot on imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I could not fauly the guy for wanting to sprend more time with his family over having to go to work.

Players spend long enough on the raod and away from home during the season so he is has decided to cut back on it, fair play to him I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

"Players these days don’t see as pride in their country, they see it more as a chore, you know ’God, I have to go again"

WTF is he talking about? Lazy git. Good riddance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think he's bang on with this
    personally, I think internationals are going to be something of the past. The pride of it and all that, I just think it’s getting lesser and lesser.

“Players these days don’t see as pride in their country, they see it more as a chore, you know ’God, I have to go again’.
    I agree with him 100% here.
    I think you’ll be surprised how many players - young ones at that - who will retire from international football after the World Cup.
    Let's see how this pans out.

I think a lot of players haven't the balls to tell the international scene to fúck off tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But is it though?

no, it's not.

and that's wrong.

where the f*ck are common values? this just hammers it home for me that it is ALL about the money, fame etc.

anybody who doesn't want to play for their country, play in the world cup, represent the people of where they're from, well, i don't want to say.

it tells us something about his character i'm afraid.

it's all about him, and good riddance.

i'd have loved to see his talent in a green shirt, but at this stage, he doesn't deserve the honour; even though he obviously doesn't want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sounds a lot more honest than what we have been drip fed in the media previously.

If he has no desire or ambition to play for Ireland, then screw it. If he is being honest in that interview (who knows really...) then it is clear he never liked playing for Ireland and any level, so it isn't surprising he doesn't want to now, and no one is going to force him too either.

He is right about the amount of international games played in a season, on top of commitments top players will have to play in a vast majority or league and european games - it has to be tough to keep yourself going physically and mentally (tougher still if you have no interest in the national side)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

h8red wrote: »

Lol of all the accusations that could be thrown in Ireland's direction that is probably the one that is furthest from the truth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I could not fauly the guy for wanting to sprend more time with his family over having to go to work.

Players spend long enough on the raod and away from home during the season so he is has decided to cut back on it, fair play to him I say.

If you ever read a diary of professional footballers, they spend a massive amount of time just sitting around "resting". He has enough time to spend with them.
    h8red wrote: »
    "Players these days don’t see as pride in their country, they see it more as a chore, you know ’God, I have to go again"

I've said before on this forum I'd be of the same stuff as Shay Given, I'd be turning up to every single match 1) Because I love to play football 2) Representing your country is a massive honour.
    Des wrote: »
    I think he's bang on with this
    I agree with him 100% here.

Let's see how this pans out.
    I think a lot of players haven't the balls to tell the international scene to fúck off tbh.

Not sure on your first point Des but agree with the 2nd. If someone doesn't want to play they won't just come out and say it, they'll make up injuries etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol of all the accusations that could be thrown in Ireland's direction that is probably the one that is furthest from the truth.

Indeed. I'll go with tasteless car ruining git!:D;)

Seems to me that Ireland is the archetypal modern 'Sky Sports' brand of footballer. Interested only in money, the footballer's lifestyle, the WAG's the hideous tacky cars and the trappings of being a professional footballer.

The most telling thing for me is that he took his "financial adviser" along with him to meet that manager of his country.

International football will always be there and players will always want to represent their countries....his stance is a rarity if not an oddity, Paul Scholes is an example if he wants to go down this route, he did it with a bit of class...S Ireland just can't keep his gob shut

bla bla the international scene is sh'it and some players think it sucks clock etc etc
    bla bla bla di blaaah

Plenty of players take pride in their country, plenty. Some even need it to further their careers and break into their club teams. Take Folan, Gibson, Whelan and the likes for examples.

He doesn't want to play for Ireland, good riddance so. He's just a muppet how he went about it.

The most telling thing for me is that he took his "financial adviser" along with him to meet that manager of his country.

It's his agent.

And that story about Trapattoni and the phones.

Fúck sake like, how disrespectful is that. If that happened to me, I wouldn't wait around for the third phone to ring, I'd be a gonner after the ignorant prick I was meeting with took his second call.

• Advertisement

Fúck sake like, how disrespectful is that. If that happened to me, I wouldn't wait around for the third phone to ring, I'd be a gonner after the ignorant prick I was meeting with took his second call.

He's right there though, if its true that is

It's his agent.

And that story about Trapattoni and the phones.

Well it's the player himself referring to him as a financial advisor.

Not sure how much stock I'd put in that phone story either, it's not like Ireland doesn't have a track record of lying when it comes to the Republic squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I don't think I'd take any pride in representing Ireland in it's current state although I doubt his reasons are in any way political!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Ireland clearly doesnt enjoy playing football as much as all the other great professionals around. Most of the best love playing everywhere, everyminute, as much as possible.
    Spend more time with the kids? He'll be retired by the time he's 35, or in his case 28 or so. He doesnt work 9-5 everyday.
    He's a joke, I can definitively say I hate him as a professional.

I mean LOOK at this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1218054/Touch-class-Footballer-buys-Wag-girlfriend-264-000-pimped-Bentley.html

Trilla wrote: »
    He's right there though, if its true that is

Oh, and that other bollox about the phone call asking to meet in four months, before the Bulgaria game.

Then Trapattoni asking those questions.

There was an agenda there alright. Where that agenda comes from though, is another story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

At first he says he never liked playing internationals, always wanted to be with his kids etc, then he says he met with Trap once, got pissed off and then agreed to meet him again ''in the future''.

Now I don't know about anyone else, but it sounds to me like he's contradicting himself. If he really hated playing internationals and preferred to be spending time with his kids, then he would/should never have agreed to meetings with Trap at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭jacool

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/news.asp?n=37310
    Me and my financial adviser, who’s looked after me all my life and is someone I really trust, sat down with Trapattoni, his right-hand man and Liam Brady.
    This is a nutshell is the issue now - money !
    Players have far too much and see their clubs and huge wages as the main driving force for their careers. Looking at the money he splashed out on his missus' car, he's obviously got bucketloads, and that's what is removing modern day players from the fans.
    Its a killer for fans who know that he's one of our best 11 players to hear him say he doesn't care about playing for Ireland, when there are thousands who would love to have the talent to play in our green jerseys. He will doubtless be worshipped by the Mancunians but despised by the Irish. I dislike him because I'd love to see us fielding our best 11. When I see Stephen Reid play for us I feel pride, and I suppose what this does teach is us is to support the players that do play, even if they aren't as talented as we'd wish for.
    C'mon Ireland, the country not the person.

only1stevo wrote: »

What cars have to do with the price of turnips I have no idea.

The only thing i'd believe out of Irelands mouth in that interview is that he doesn't want to play for Ireland again. The lad, as good a footballer as he is, is a proven liar who has shown in the past he has no problems coming up wit stories to get the end result he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I think he wanted Trapattoni to go down on bended knee, take an engagement ring out of his pocket, ask him would he forgive him , and take him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If you ever read a diary of professional footballers, they spend a massive amount of time just sitting around "resting". He has enough time to spend with them.

Whether you are sitting around 'resting' or working out in the gym or training pitch is not the point,
    The point is about the time spent on the road, traveling and being away from home when your kids are growing up.

Take this interational weekend for example

Finished game for City Monday night
    Off to Dublin and not back until Thursday week

That's a week and a half away from home that could be spent at home.

Anyone who has a young family and travels a lot for work will know what I mean.

What cars have to do with the price of turnips I have no idea.

You're defending the indefensible, the "chav" class have no class....the guy's been a footballer 5minutes and thinks he has the right to publically condemn a modern day "legend" in management....

Good footballer, classless human being

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

How can anyone take he's word for any of what he claims happened between him and Trap, and anyhow none of this mess has anything to do with Trap it was a mess he inherited.

Just reading he's dismissive tones really makes me for one appreciate the likes of Stephen Hunt and Kevin Kiln=bane just to name two who quite clearly would not have anywhere near the abilility of sensitive susie there but they give it absolutely everything when they pull on that green jersey, they are the guys we should be talking about and cheering on and not wasting our time talking about this bussinees man from manchester.

Had to laugh too at he's claim that one of the reasonas and benefits of not playing international football is to spend time with he's kids, they be the same kids who dont know whethee their great-grandmothers are dead or alive or if daddy was just confused :rolleyes:

Whether you are sitting around 'resting' or working out in the gym or training pitch is not the point,
    The point is about the time spent on the road, traveling and being away from home when your kids are growing up.

Fair enough if thats the case and the real reason, but why only come out with this now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The only thing i'd believe out of Irelands mouth in that interview is that he doesn't want to play for Ireland again. The lad, as good a footballer as he is, is a proven liar who has shown in the past he has no problems coming up wit stories to get the end result he wants.

i think youll find every one of us is a "proven liar" to be fair.

i agree with him about the international thing, i think its more hassle than its worth, having to take a break from the season a few times a year, risking injuries and such. id still want to play for my country though. maybe its a cork thing ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

If these were his feelings, and they were evident from an early stage, why did the lack of clarity all this time? Why wasn't this put to bed long ago?

I also find it strange that he can make a judgement on other players not wanting to play international football becasue of a lack of pride, yet couldn't the same accusation be levelled at him?

dogpile wrote: »
    Good footballer, classless human being

You know what?

When you get into name calling, you start to lose our argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

jacool wrote: »
    This is a nutshell is the issue now - money !
    Players have far too much and see their clubs and huge wages as the main driving force for their careers. Looking at the money he splashed out on his missus' car, he's obviously got bucketloads, and that's what is removing modern day players from the fans.
    Its a killer for fans who know that he's one of our best 11 players to hear him say he doesn't care about playing for Ireland, when there are thousands who would love to have the talent to play in our green jerseys. He will doubtless be worshipped by the Mancunians but despised by the Irish. I dislike him because I'd love to see us fielding our best 11. When I see Stephen Reid play for us I feel pride, and I suppose what this does teach is us is to support the players that do play, even if they aren't as talented as we'd wish for.
    C'mon Ireland, the country not the person.

That is a weak argument. Very weak. Why shouldn't he spend money on loved ones. Wouldn't you?

This is nothing about money. This is about the ****e that he had to put up with in the dressing room and from the press.

The pictures of Stephen Ireland running up and down those steps and working out prove he is not lazy and he appears to be very dedicated to City.

Scholes & Carra pulled out of the England set up becuase it was in a mess as well. Its not uncommon.

I also find it strange that he can make a judgement on other players not wanting to play international football becasue of a lack of pride, yet couldn't the same accusation be levelled at him?

He's admitting he has no pride in playing for Ireland.

Something a lot of other footballers should do too.

I'm telling you know, he's a hundred per cent correct about there being other players who feel the same, but who are too afraid of this kind of backlash if they actually came out and said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

You know what?

When you get into name calling, you start to lose our argument.

He's right. We all know he's right.

• Advertisement

bigstar wrote: »
    i think youll find every one of us is a "proven liar" to be fair.

not to the same extent as young Ireland tbh.

don't get me wrong, i'm not having a go, if he doesn't want to play for Ireland, i don't think he should be painted as a villian, its his life & he should live it as he sees fit. however, the stories about Trap, i would tend not to believe based on Irelands history of inventing stuff.

FR I was specifically talking about his career with Man City, he may go to training at 9 and finish at 12, he may be free for the entire day then. The next day he may go to training at 3 and leave at 6. Game days he may travel on the night before if it's away if not he'll role in Eastlands at 12 (presuming a 3pm kick off). Sunday is either a rest day or very light training so again a couple of hours away from the kids.

So while yes I would agree if he was to play for Ireland he would spend some time away from them while on international duty it's not massive. This weeks double header as he was playing on Monday, he could have joined up with the squad on Thursday, it's not like his family is banned from seeing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

If these were his feelings, and they were evident from an early stage, why did the lack of clarity all this time? Why wasn't this put to bed long ago?

ok im gonna call you on this, beacause tbh the only things iv read for the last two years are that he didnt want to come back. iv never read anything that said 'i might come back' or 'maybe' this or that. the media have kept asking questions and he keeps saying 'no', then they berate him for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Why is this still an issue that needs to be debated? The bottom line is the guy has no interest in playing for his country and if, in a couple of years or so, he decides to come back he shouldn't be allowed to. It should be an honour to play for your country and it should be the managers decision when you play or not, not the players. I hope this whole matter is dropped once and for all now as it's not doing the current squad any good.

And as far as it goes about Trap ringing him to arrange a meeting in a few months time just so he can tell the media that he spoke to Ireland and that he might come back, I think Trap already knew what Ireland's decision was long ago and the reason for the phonecall was to give the media an answer before they asked the inevitable question. It's better than them asking Trap what's the latest regarding Ireland and Trap's answer being he hadn't spoken to Ireland and therefore the media (and ourselves) wondering why he hadn't been in contact with him.

I agree that Ireland has a right to spend as much time possible with his family but saying that he rarely gets to spend time with them is complete bull. There are thousands of internationals players out there with a wife and kids and they manage to cope just fine. Footballers train a couple of hours a day and every couple of months or so go off on international duty for just over a week. It's not like they have a 9-5 job were the only time they get to spend time with their kids is on the weekend. They get to spend all day with their kids minus the couple of hours it takes to train/play a match. Clutching at straws now imo.

He's admitting .

I'm telling you know, he's a hundred per cent correct about there being other players who feel the same, but who are too afraid of this kind of backlash if they actually came out and said it.

Give us names

dogpile wrote: »
    Give us names

Shearer
    Scholes

Both retired from international football to further their club careers.

Scholes was even asked to come back, but said no.

I obviously can't give other names, as none others that I know of have come out and aid it publically.

I think the point in question is he is now stating he has 0 interest in coming back. Thats great now that we all know. The issue is why if he had 0 interest all along did he meet Trap and give all thos interview half assing a return. Only his most recent interviews have alluded to the fact he won't ever be coming back.

And I for one would be buying every single car I wanted if I had his money!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

The guy doesn't want to play for his country. I can accept that. Its not the norm scenario but hey he's not the first person to do it.

What I can't accept are the reasons he gives. Footballers in general do want to play for their country. They want to go to World Cups. They want their nation cheering them on. They take pride in it. It is not a chore.

Time with the kids is a bad excuse aswell as out of most professional careers he probably gets to spend more time with his kids than any of us that have kids do in our professions.

Also on the Trap meeting scenario he described while I feel that Trap was rude in answering multiple phones, I don't see why his 'financial adviser' had to be there as finance has nothing to do with it. Or why Trap had to sell him the idea of playing for Ireland. Did he want an appearance bonus or something??!!

A talented footballer he may be but a person of high moral values probably not!

Forget about him.

And I for one would be buying every single car I wanted if I had his money!!

A porsche I think I'd get ;)

Shearer

I obviously can't give other names, as none others that I know of have come out and aid it publically.

Oh right so :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement