Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland - The door is firmly shut (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Arrogant little sod. Complaining Trappatoni answered four different calls. Who does he think he is. Good riddance now to be honest.

Playing for your country would be THE proudest achievment I would have as a footballer. Others will disagree but thats just the way I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Mr Alan wrote: »
    not to the same extent as young Ireland tbh.

don't get me wrong, i'm not having a go, if he doesn't want to play for Ireland, i don't think he should be painted as a villian, its his life & he should live it as he sees fit. however, the stories about Trap, i would tend not to believe based on Irelands history of inventing stuff.

ive always thought that was a bit harsh tbh. from i what i read (which i take with a pinch of salt anyway), is his gf says his granny died cos she lost a baby, which he goes along with. hardly the worst of lies tbh, he was also very young. understandable imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Des wrote: »
    Shearer
    Scholes

Both retired from international football to further their club careers.

Scholes was even asked to come back, but said no.

I obviously can't give other names, as none others that I know of have come out and aid it publically.

But Ireland's case is different. It's not necessarily about prolonging his career (at his age?), it's the simple fact that he didn't enjoy international football and wanted to spend time with his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Shearer
    Scholes

I obviously can't give other names, as none others that I know of have come out and aid it publically.

Lol Shearer 63 caps for England Scholes has 66 caps umm thats the same thing as what Stephen Ireland is doing :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I had hoped the last thread was the last we'd have heard about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dogpile wrote: »
    Oh right so :rolleyes:

Are you insinuating that I am incorrect, and that every other player in the world absolutely loves playing international football?

You are delusional if you do think that.

There are definitely other players that less than relish the international scene, frankly, for you to think otherwise is laughable.

Just because I can't name them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

I also stand by my assertion that they are too afraid of the backlash if they actually came out and said it.

But Ireland's case is different. It's not necessarily about prolonging his career (at his age?), it's the simple fact that he didn't enjoy international football and wanted to spend time with his family.

True.

whats wrong with that. do you not avoid things you dont enjoy?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Shearer
    Scholes

both had alot of injuries and were getting on in years - pretty different situation.
    But hey, that never stopped you using it as an argument.

Are you insinuating that I am incorrect, and that every other player in the world absolutely loves playing international football?

You are delusional if you do think that.

There are definitely other players that less than relish the international scene, frankly, for you to think otherwise is laughable.

Just because I can't name them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

I also stand by my assertion that they are too afraid of the backlash if they actually came out and said it.

True.

i think its fair to say that the england team is mainly supported by the southerners/londoners. a lot of northerners dont care that much. from ny experience anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

mayordenis wrote: »
    both had alot of injuries and were getting on in years - pretty different situation.
    But hey, that never stopped you using it as an argument.

Yeah real up to date list of names he gave there!

S Ireland was still squishing zits in his mammy's bathroom when these players made their decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

bigstar wrote: »
    ok im gonna call you on this, beacause tbh the only things iv read for the last two years are that he didnt want to come back. iv never read anything that said 'i might come back' or 'maybe' this or that. the media have kept asking questions and he keeps saying 'no', then they berate him for it.

Just from a quick browse -

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0217/irelands.html

i think its fair to say that the england team is mainly supported by the southerners/londoners. a lot of northerners dont care that much. from ny experience anyway.

By that same token, most Cork people want to be a separate entity, so representing Ireland probably isn't high on their agenda.

Now, if there was a People's Republic of Cork National Team, he'd probably want to be their captain :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

whats wrong with that. do you not avoid things you dont enjoy?

No, that wasn't a judgement, I was merely outlining the difference between the players' respective decisions to end their international careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol of all the accusations that could be thrown in Ireland's direction that is probably the one that is furthest from the truth.

Maybe not lazy from a Man City perspective but I wouldn't know anything about that because I don't watch them/know a lot about them. I was merely looking for a possible reason why he doesn't want to play for Ireland as he doesn't give any solid reasons himself other than claiming nobody else wants to represent their countries anymore. Must have been the word chore that I equated with laziness.

It's a personal choice he can do what he wants.

Most likely at the end of his career (a footballer's career is pretty short) he'll most likely regret it.
    But he can do whatever he wishes so he doesn't want to play he doesn't get to play - Trap should go for this and say that Ireland will never get the option under his managerial reign even if he announces a desire to play at a future date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

article-1194140-05677642000005DC-552_468x313.jpg

Lazy git alright, spending his summers training to improve his game. Only his game is dedicated to Man City, not Ireland. Who is worse off?

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    article-1194140-05677642000005DC-552_468x313.jpg

Lazy git alright, spending his summers training to improve his game. Only his game is dedicated to Man City, not Ireland. Who is worse off?

I think the lazy comment is being mis-construed - people are fit or whatever can still have lazy attitudes.
    Running around doesn't mean your lazy if you cop out then you are being lazy just more mentally lazy than physically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah real up to date list of names he gave there!

Hot off the press -

http://goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2009/10/05/1542471/belgian-goalkeeper-stijn-stijnen-announces-international

Belgian Goalkeeper Stijn Stijnen Announces International Retirement

Oct 5, 2009 4:09:59 PM

Club Brugge shot stopper Stijn Stijnen has made it clear that he is no longer available for Belgium's national side. The 28-year-old is unhappy with the way things are going for the Red Devils at the moment.

"I have always done my my utmost for my nation, even when the atmosphere at the national team was far from pleasant. However, I refuse to go on like this and I am no longer available for Belgium," explained Stijnen at a press conference.

"I am very proud that I have represented Belgium 30 times. Nevertheless, too many players are not thinking about Belgium. They only care about themselves and about their clubs. Some people have said things about me behind my back that are simply unacceptable."

The glovesman was involved in an incident with fellow international Sebastien Pocognoli earlier this year and received his fair share of criticism in the past couple of months.

New Belgium national coach Dick Advocaat was already expected to axe Stijnen from the starting XI in favour of Borussia Moenchengladbach shot stopper Logan Bailly.

Stijnen made his international debut for Belgium on May 10, 2006 in the match against Saudi Arabia. His last match was back in August, when Belgium were beaten 3-1 by Czech Republic in an international friendly

Kris Boyd, Lee McCulloch and Jason Koumas have all retired from international football during this campaign, despite having plenty to offer to their country.

Up to date enough?

What Xavi said.

Cheers mate

xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I belive scholes stated many reasons for leaving the international scene. His club carear was just one of them. He also stated that he didn't like being away from his family for long periods and that he stopped enjoying it because he felt he was always the one forced to accomodate other players (ie playing left mid).

IIRC he only started mentioning his club when he was asked to return later on.

Stephen has stated a lot of the same reasons he doesn't enjoy it and doesn't want to leave his family. Fair enough reasons in my book. Just wish this was done much earlier.

I also wish he didn't take the pop at Trap. No need IMO, even if it is true.

• Advertisement

I think the lazy comment is being mis-construed - people are fit or whatever can still have lazy attitudes.
    Running around doesn't mean your lazy if you cop out then you are being lazy just more mentally lazy than physically.

To be honest, it takes a lot of mental strenght to set out your summer training for what, five hours a day I think? That'd take a lot out of anyone with the best of menal and physical strenght, or indeed laziness.

"Some people have said things about me behind my back that are simply unacceptable." is that part you should of read Xavi and Des - selective as always.

I also wish he didn't take the pop at Trap. No need IMO, even if it is true.

I'd much rather the amateur hour antics of anyone in the employ of the FAI are exposed for everyone to know about, rather than have them brushed under the carpet, tbh.

To be honest, it takes a lot of mental strenght to set out your summer training for what, five hours a day I think? That'd take a lot out of anyone with the best of menal and physical strenght, or indeed laziness.

5 hours a day (7 days a week? most likely 5) so about 25-35 hours a week - sign me up.

"Some people have said things about me behind my back that are simply unacceptable." is that part you should of read Xavi and Des - selective as always.

But when it is being said to one's face, you should "man up and accept" bullying?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm sure if he was earning money by playing for Ireland there'd be no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I'd much rather the amateur hour antics of anyone in the employ of the FAI are exposed for everyone to know about, rather than have them brushed under the carpet, tbh.

They will still be brushed under the carpet, prob dismissed as lie. It will
    just depend on who you decide to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lol

its very easy to whip out the "people don't care for their country" "I've no time" comments when it suits

Kris Boyd, Lee McCulloch and Jason Koumas have all retired from international football during this campaign, despite having plenty to offer to their country.

Up to date enough?

You could add Dean Kiely to that list, there will always be players make these decisions but it will never be the "norm"

you'll rarely ever find a real "superstar" or "great" in that list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I cannot understand why people on here would ever defend him.

If he's always hated playing for Ireland, why didn't he say "I hate playing for Ireland and I never will" a long time ago? Why did he meet with Trap when he has no intention of playing.

• Advertisement

5 hours a day (7 days a week? most likely 5) so about 25-35 hours a week - sign me up.

No thanks for me. If I played a long nine month season, I doubt I'd have the mental mind set to keep training throughout my brief but well earned summer break.

But that's just me..

Up to date enough?

Lee McCulloch - 31 - Scotland - no chance of qualifying wouldn't be really up to the standard after this campaign.

Jason Koumas - 30 - Wales - no chance of qualifying wouldn't be really up to the standard after this campaign.

Kris Boyd - 26 -
    On 11 October 2008 Boyd stated that he would not play international football again under manager George Burley. His decision came after Burley had left Boyd on the substitute bench in a 0–0 World Cup qualifying match against Norway, opting to bring debutant Chris Iwelumo on instead. When asked about the decision, Burley stated "Kris has got to establish himself in the Rangers team, which he hasn't done." After hearing those comments, Boyd contacted Burley to inform him of his decision, and confirmed his decision to Gordon Smith, the chief executive of the Scottish Football Association. At a press conference on 13 October 2008, Burley hinted that the door might not be closed should Boyd reconsider, stating that Boyd, rather than he, had "made the decision", and that "..if (Boyd) is totally committed, that's what the country needs." It was reported on 1 January 2009 that Burley would welcome Boyd back into the Scotland setup if he was willing to return.

You could add Dean Kiely to that list, there will always be players make these decisions but it will never be the "norm"

There are more and more players doing it.

And it will continue.

But when it is being said to one's face, you should "man up and accept" bullying?

:rolleyes:

lol no - I'm saying that his reason is things beind said about him and not the massively selective highlighted and emboldened section.

Just talking about it with a few lads, one says he knows someone close to the Irish set-up and this all goes back to the hair incident.

On the 28 May 2009, he walked out of the Ireland squad after boss Giovanni Trapattoni informed him that he would be replacing Shay Given with Kieren Westwood for the second half of the friendly International against Nigeria at Craven Cottage on 29 May.

Lee McCulloch - 31 - Scotland - no chance of qualifying wouldn't be really up to the standard after this campaign.

Jason Koumas - 30 - Wales - no chance of qualifying wouldn't be really up to the standard after this campaign.

Kris Boyd - 26 -

I disagree on Koumas. He would be only 32 come the next Euro finals, and is very much up to standard for Wales.

Boyd made the decision to walk away based on his unhappiness with international football. Same as that Belgian keeper. Ireland has done the same.

The point is it's not unusual for players to do so, and there will be more after the World Cup.

There are more and more players doing it.

And it will continue.

Sit tight, Xavi6 will be along shortly to bail you out with some more names ;)

Just talking about it with a few lads, one says he knows someone close to the Irish set-up and this all goes back to the hair incident.

It goes back to before that. He said as much in that interview.

• Advertisement

Sit tight, Xavi6 will be along shortly to bail you out with some more names ;)

Well Giggs never played friendlies so he couldn't possibly have taken it too seriously :D;)

There won't be many other decent examples.

If you were a top class player, and played for a fairly average country and you were completely sick of it, you'd never have the balls to quit playing. Imagine how many players who pondered it, but could never go through with it and attract so much abuse from their home nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

Shearer
    Scholes

How can you name Scholes and then compare him with Ireland? Scholes gave his all to his country in nearly 70 games for a decade. Then he was played out of position where he felt that he was not at his best. So he quit the national setup. Scholesy's circumstances differ vastly from that of Ireland's.

If you were a top class player, and played for a fairly average country and you were completely sick of it, you'd never have the balls to quit playing. Imagine how many players who pondered it, but could never go through with it and attract so much abuse from their home nation.

But also consider that not everyone is actually so pessimistic - and that there nation doesn't need to be a superpower for them to want to represent there country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The sad thing is he'll regret this when he's older. He sounds like he's very emotionally immature and doesn't understand the significance of making the most of things when you have the chance.

Can you imagine Gerrard or Lampard quitting Internationals after this WC??

You can't because they won't, say what you want about them (and most do) but they're good pro's....look at Beckham, nearing 56 yrs of age and still clinging to it for dear life!!!

S. Ireland good pro? nah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

would love Gerrard to quit England after this WC.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    The sad thing is he'll regret this when he's older. He sounds like he's very emotionally immature and doesn't understand the significance of making the most of things when you have the chance.

+1. i think this is the biggest issue, but thats nothing to do with us or the team. hes not coming back, were doing quite well, lets get on with things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

goddevil wrote: »
    How can you name Scholes and then compare him with Ireland? Scholes gave his all to his country in nearly 70 games for a decade. Then he was played out of position where he felt that he was not at his best. So he quit the national setup. Scholesy's circumstances differ vastly from that of Ireland's.

They certainly do differ. But Schles still voluntarily chose to stop representing his country. If being played out of position, or being dropped from the first XI, was a reasonable basis for withdrawl from international football, we would have very few people left in the game.

I am a massive Scholes fan, but that will always be a major blot on his career.

To sum up the general consesus seems to be that young Steven is not the full shilling as my ol ma used to say..the cars, the tattoo, the grannygate, the lies, the wig, the other granny, more lies, the superman pants, the cars again, the chav bird(for richer or poorer? questionable)....he's gone about burning his bridges!

I for one will not wish him luck, he's undeserving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

But is it though?

Do kids go around the local park pretending to be Cristiano Ronaldo/Steven Gerrard or Damien Duff/Robbie Keane?

After a world cup all you will hear is the irish players names. I was Houghton for near 5 years :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement