Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland - The door is firmly shut (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well it's the player himself referring to him as a financial advisor.

Not sure how much stock I'd put in that phone story either, it's not like Ireland doesn't have a track record of lying when it comes to the Republic squad.

Yes it was probably one of Ireland#s Grandparents on the other end :D

Or Andy Reid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

AARRRGH wrote: »
    The sad funny thing is he'll regret this when he's older. He sounds like he's very emotionally immature and doesn't understand the significance of making the most of things when you have the chance.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Miap

All i can say is thank god its clear he is not playing for Ireland again and good ridance to him.
    In saying that i do think it is a decision he will regret in later life or indeed the not too distant future. If Ireland do indeed qualify for the world cup(fingers crossed) and go on a bit of the run the young players will become heros with children and adults alike in this country! The advertising deals etc will begin to follow and then watch Stephen Ireland regret his choices, he is it would seem young and immature and is making decisions which prove this, Hopefully this is the end of the matter with him and we hear no more about him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Hopefully this will put an end to the matter in the media, he obviously does not want to play International football, good news for City in that he will now be able to foucs 100% for them and on his club carreer which is if we are honest a players bread and butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Hopefully this will put an end to the matter in the media, he obviously does not want to play International football, good news for City in that he will now be able to foucs 100% for them and on his club carreer which is if we are honest a players bread and butter.

I'd love to think that this will put the matter to bed.

It wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

From reading that, close the door shut and slam it in his face and move on and find players that would feel proud to wear the shirt. It is an honour and should be treated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

angel01 wrote: »
    From reading that, close the door shut and slam it in his face and move on and find players that would feel proud to wear the shirt. It is an honour and should be treated as such.

Thats the way it always should be. Even in club football. Its a privlege to play the game at a professional level at all regardless of being good enough to be even considered for football at senior international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Everyone is going to go overboard on the guy now but he is not the Antichrist some like to make him out to be. He's a classy guy and if he doesn't want to play for the team then that's his right.

The vitriol towards him is OTT. It is actually possible to support both him and the Irish team as I do and will continue to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Everyone is going to go overboard on the guy now but he is not the Antichrist some like to make him out to be. He's a classy guy and if he doesn't want to play for the team then that's his right.

The vitriol towards him is OTT. It is actually possible to support both him and the Irish team as I do and will continue to do.

classy guy ,where did you pull that from ?

Headshot wrote: »
    classy guy ,where did you pull that from ?

I know it from experience, mate. I'd rather not go into it on a net forum but I've seen for myself that he is a kind and sound guy and nothing like the big bad villain some in the media like to make out he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think he will defintely regret this. Players can be brash idiots when they're young and mature when they're older to find that they're reputations are unshakeable. You could easily draw a parallel between Ireland and Italy's best player ATM Cassano who's desperate to get back into the team. His past could easily come back to haunt him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A conclusive statement that he doesn't give a fuck.

Personally, I rate club way over country, but I'd still love to play for my country if I had the chance.

Some people, however, just don't assign the same importance to it. His life; his choice.

Let it go, folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

angel01 wrote: »

Ha ha, I love this attitude. I think the door has been shut a while, and it wasn't the Irish management set-up that shut it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Prioritising a company over his country... maybe he is the epitome of free-market libertarian... :P

But the cardinal factor here has to be that he has no familiarity with the glory of International football, just the grind. He has no experience of the major tournaments and as such has no basis to justify the hard work that is needed in order to commit to an International team. So let those who have put in the grind reap the rewards in SA in 2010, and let him watch from the 6" flatscreen in his bird's Bentley and see how good he feels.

COME ON IRELAND*!!

*the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

He's a classy guy and if he doesn't want to

No he is not a classy guy. That I think has been firmly established.
    The vitriol towards him is OTT.

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I'm not traps biggest fan, but the way Stephen Ireland somehow trys to blame Traps arrogance as a factor for not playing for ireland is pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

If Cork had an international team ya can bet he'd play for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

FatherTed wrote: »
    I cannot understand why people on here would ever defend him.

If he's always hated playing for Ireland, why didn't he say "I hate playing for Ireland and I never will" a long time ago? Why did he meet with Trap when he has no intention of playing.

Think it's pretty much only the Man City fans and argumentative anti-FAI types who are picking that corner.

For me this is the telling quote:
    I played for the under-14s, under-15s and so on, but as soon as I came over here and signed my contract with City, I said ’that’s it’. I rejected going to a lot of the squads.

So, in his own words, his rejection of the national team coincides with his signing his first contract - case closed. Sod all to do with spending time with his kids, that's just a new bonus he's throwing in to paint himself in a better light.

He plays football for money, nothing more, nothing less.

To compare him to Shearer or Scholes is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Stephen Ireland typifies everything that is wrong with the modern day footballer. He's arrogant, got absolutely no class whatsoever and is extremely self centred. It sickens me, especially in the current climate when people are being evicted from their houses and losing their jobs, that people like him complain about how tough it is for them to kick a ball around the pitch for about 50,000euro a week. Very classy indeed. Imagine he actually had to do a real job!!

He should take a look at Bernard Dunnes speech after he lost his recent fight. Thats a man who takes pride in representing his country. A man who was given a talent and wants to share it with Ireland becuase he understands how much of a lift it gives his country. Something that Stephen Judas Ireland will never understand.

Win lose or draw we're better of without people like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I find his attitude toward playing for his country very sad. I find it sad that other defend it. He has chosen money ahead of the pride of his nation. It is selfish.

While it is not illegal to be selfish it should not be praised.

I'm glad Pakie Bonner and Paul McGrath did not take his attitude back in Italia '90. We would have missed put on great memories.

Anyway, this is over now and Irish soccer can move on with the players we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Des wrote: »
    I think a lot of players haven't the balls to tell the international scene to fúck off tbh.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I know it from experience, mate. I'd rather not go into it on a net forum but I've seen for myself that he is a kind and sound guy and nothing like the big bad villain some in the media like to make out he is.

You're joking, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Rondolfus wrote: »
    He should take a look at Bernard Dunnes speech after he lost his recent fight. Thats a man who takes pride in representing his country. A man who was given a talent and wants to share it with Ireland becuase he understands how much of a lift it gives his country. Something that Stephen Judas Ireland will never understand.

That's completely different. the primary reason Dunne fights in ireland the whole time is because of money. Not many people outside of Ireland would pay top money to see him fight. He has to say it to make it a living

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I've got to say if it is honestly like he says it is then I suppose you can't hold any grudges against the bloke for wanting to spend as much time as possible with his family.

However I don't know, I think he is just using his family and his beefs against Trap to mask his own utter apathy towards his country. He seems to never want to play for his country ever again, and that to me is about more than just the current manager. I mean Trap probably won't even be the manager in 3 years time, what would stop him then? It's just apathy IMO, and that's fine, there are plenty of people like that. However he could be honest, and due to his track record, I find it hard to swallow his story.

FatherTed wrote: »
    You're joking, right?

I'm not.

At the end of the day the team has moved on, he has moved on and hopefully the papers and fans will do likewise.

As for Trap, well his people skills haven't gone down well with Andy Reid and Dean Kiely who have been top pros for the Irish team for yonks before he came on the scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Miap wrote: »
    All i can say is thank god its clear he is not playing for Ireland again and good ridance to him.
    In saying that i do think it is a decision he will regret in later life or indeed the not too distant future. If Ireland do indeed qualify for the world cup(fingers crossed) and go on a bit of the run the young players will become heros with children and adults alike in this country! The advertising deals etc will begin to follow and then watch Stephen Ireland regret his choices, he is it would seem young and immature and is making decisions which prove this, Hopefully this is the end of the matter with him and we hear no more about him!!!

So you think he could do better with advertising deals from being a part of a Ireland team that goes to the WC than say, being a part of a Man City team that wins the Premiership or Champions League ?

I cannot understand the amount of people saying he will regret it, that's a very big assumption to make
    Stephen Ireland typifies everything that is wrong with the modern day footballer. He's arrogant, got absolutely no class whatsoever and is extremely self centred. It sickens me, especially in the current climate when people are being evicted from their houses and losing their jobs, that people like him complain about how tough it is for them to kick a ball around the pitch for about 50,000euro a week. Very classy indeed. Imagine he actually had to do a real job!!

I don't see him complaining about his job or the contact he has with City

He does not like and is not interested in doing the optional, time consuming, extracurricular activity called international football.

At the end of the day the team has moved on, he has moved on and hopefully the papers and fans will do likewise.
    +100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Des wrote: »
    It goes back to before that. He said as much in that interview.

Way back before his Granny died too......

Ireland has proven too many times that we cannot believe anything he says,

Why even bother meeting up if he had no intention of ever playing again, if he hates International football, why not stay at home and play with the kids?

I think it's clear to see he craves attention, the door should be closed and we should move on. Let him do the running from now on, to wherever he wants that to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If Cork had an international team ya can bet he'd play for them.

Only if they paid him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

All i can say is that you dream to represent your country at anything and at any level, especially Ireland over any other country.
    Without drawing politics into it, but many as men died so that we could actually represent our own country. And i think thats what gives greater pride in representing Ireland for most people.
    I'm not surprised at his attitude, the man has absolutely no class whatsoever.
    I mean you only have to look at the pink trimmed Land Rover he drives, its not something that you'd associate with sucessful Irish sportmen in the past or indeed present.. ie Brian O'Driscoll,Bernard Dunne.Padraig Harrington,Robbie Keane.

I personally never want to see him in an Irish jersey again as its would blacken the name of those who wore it before him, and rob a genuine proud Irishman of the chance to represent his country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But is it though?

Do kids go around the local park pretending to be Cristiano Ronaldo/Steven Gerrard or Damien Duff/Robbie Keane?

I remember going out to the park and being McGrath and Quinn and Bonner and so on, it's amazing how quickly it did change. Kids now stay in on the computer more instead of going out and playing.

Maybe they are pretending to be Stephen Ireland then?

I think internationals are going to be something of the past.
    What complete rubbish. Just because few over paid footballers can't be bother lining out for their country doesn't mean the rest will follow. Most are proud to play international football, and the footballing world would have been a far worse place if it wasn't for internationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

whycliff wrote: »
    All i can say is that you dream to represent your country at anything and at any level, especially Ireland over any other country.
    Without drawing politics into it, but many as men died so that we could actually represent our own country. And i think thats what gives greater pride in representing Ireland for most people.
    I mean you only have to look at the pink trimmed Land Rover he drives, its not something that you'd associate with sucessful Irish sportmen in the past or indeed present.. ie Brian O'Driscoll,Bernard Dunne.Padraig Harrington,Robbie Keane.

I personally never want to see him in an Irish jersey again as its would blacken the name of those who wore it before him, and rob a genuine proud Irishman of the chance to represent his country.

I firmly believe that this is the reason he wont come back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Only if they paid him.

...and had someone give him a reach around.
    It seems he needs constant attention and for everyone to focus on his needs and wants.

Ah please, what a load of sentimental b***ix

What the F**K has the type of car he drives go to do with being Irish ?

All this about being proud of your country and how people died so that a man could wear the green jersey etc is such a pile of S**T.

Oh and what's with the references to Bernard Dunne (in other posts too) last time I checked he was a failure.

Sorry for the swearing, but all this nationalist Irish pride stuff really irritates me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ah has this not been going on long enough?

look all we know for absolute certainty is that the man does not want to play international football. despite whateer gets reported that is the only thing we know for absolute fact, and that is all we need to know to be perfectly honest

He doesnt want to play, he has his reasons and they are of no relevance to us

its well past time for everyone to move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sorry for the swearing, but all this nationalist Irish pride stuff really irritates me

Then may I suggest you do a bit of shopping here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

All this about being proud of your country and how people died so that a man could wear the green jersey etc is such a pile of S**T.

Oh and what's with the references to Bernard Dunne (in other posts too) last time I checked he was a failure.

Yep, a huge failure. Never mind the fact that he suceeded 28 out of thirty times that he has stepped into the ring as a professional :rolleyes:

Look, the bottom line is that he doesn't want to play for Ireland. Let him be. Personally I think he is missing out on something I would love to have the opportunity to do but if he doesn't value representing his country then why should he bother? If, as some has said, there are others that would rather not play for Ireland but don't have the guts to admit it, I'd rather they dropped off the panel aswell. there are plenty of pros left who would love the opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

money over your country

has it really come to that now...

ireland is really a piece of work alright

What a ridiclious statement! He was world champion ffs! So, you're either a world champion or a failure? Get real, if Bernard Dunne is a failure, what the feck are the rest of us?

BTW, who peed in your cornflakes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Wow you argue very well. I'd like to commend you on your excellent use of profanity and you're reluctance to engage in reasonable debate:rolleyes:

Firstly his car is ridiculous. Its like something off pimp my ride. The fact he drives it shows that he has been seduced by modern commercialism, all money and no substance. He might as well be driving around a burberry cap. He'd be making the same statement.

Evidently you have no national pride. Perhaps the void that this has left in your life is filling with bitterness. Your posts suggests this.

As for Bernard Dunne. He's a world Champion Boxer. So he lost the title recently. Hardly a failure though. What exactly did Stephen Ireland win??? Oh yea...nothing. Who knows though, hell's getting pretty cold, he may win most the most stylish man of the year award yet!!

dont feed the trolls

Wow you argue very well. I'd like to commend you on your excellent use of profanity and you're reluctance to engage in reasonable debate:rolleyes:

Firstly his car is ridiculous. Its like something off pimp my ride. The fact he drives it shows that he has been seduced by modern commercialism, all money and no substance. He might as well be driving around a burberry cap. He'd be making the same statement.

But the poster who mention the car equated it in some way to being Irish

What has the type of car you drive got to do with where you are from ?
    Evidently you have no national pride. Perhaps the void that this has left in your life is filling with bitterness. Your posts suggests this.

I have lots of national pride, but I don't see the reason for getting all swelled up with tears when a professional sports person from Ireland does something that can remotely be called a success.

Look at the world athletics championship just gone for example, the media and people were constantly going on about the great achievements of our competitors and how they did us proud, we got a sliver a two 4th places for Christ sake, hardly earth shattering
    As for Bernard Dunne. He's a world Champion Boxer. So he lost the title recently

Exactly my point, why are people putting him up on some pedestal for failing to defend his title at the first attempt.

Just because someone like Steven Ireland does not feel that he has to play for Ireland even though 'people died for that green jersey' does not make his a bad person as is being proytryed by some in this thread.

Exactly my point, why are people putting him up on some pedestal for failing to defend his title at the first attempt.

argh, just checked the pic and i see its like micro sized! i dunno why or how but that just reeks of fail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Him driving a pink Land Rover has nothing to do with him being Irish I agree,well pointed out as i didnt see anyone mention it did, fair play to ya. Your different gravy.
    However, it has something to do with the type of person he is and the class he has, which in his case is none... i was comparing him other much more sucessful Irish sports personalities to and comparing the class and humility they show in the public eye and type of vehicles they sport...
    Bernard Dunne isnt a failure, he was World Champion.
    Munster are no linger Heineken cup champions, is Paul O'Connell a failure?

What is your issure with National pride, are you not proud to be Irish?

Would you not be proud to represent your country?

"Each man must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, and which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide against your conviction is to be an unqualified and inexcusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let men label you as they may. If you alone of all the nation shall decide one way, and that way be the right way according to your convictions of the right, you have done your duty by yourself and by your country — hold up your head! You have nothing to be ashamed of."

- Mark Twain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I mean you only have to look at the pink trimmed Land Rover he drives

He doesn't drive that. It was his girlfriend's, and they sold it ages ago. And so what anyway? Football player in flashing cash shocker. So what if he's a bit of chav? So are plenty of England internationals. His choice in cars has nothing to do with the situation and is a poor addition to any argument against him. Laughable and pathetic in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

T.

Jesus Christ.

Is Zidane a failed footballer because he only won one world cup he took part in?

Is Fergie a failed manager because he has only won the title around 30- 40% of his 23 year career?

Putting club over country is always a great shame, be it a player, an Irish premiership fan or an Irish LOI fan. It is small minded tribalism.

Him driving a pink Land Rover has nothing to do with him being Irish I agree,well pointed out as i didnt see anyone mention it did, fair play to ya. Your different gravy.
    However, it has something to do with the type of person he is and the class he has, which in his case is none... i was comparing him other much more sucessful Irish sports personalities to and comparing the class and humility they show in the public eye and type of vehicles they sport...
    I think you are contradicting yourself there

Mentioning that the type of car he drives has nothing to do with his Irishness, yet making a judgment on whether he has 'class' or not based on what type of vehicles 'much more sucessful Irish sports personalities' drive

Why not make a judgment on whether he has class by comparing his vehicle choice with that of lets say Bastian Schweinsteiger

Oh and you are aware that there is an ongoing thread on these boards about whether of of the greats you mentioned earlier on, Bonner, was actually a nice guy or not.
    What is your issure with National pride, are you not proud to be Irish?

Would you not be proud to represent your country?

If I got the opportunity to represent Ireland at anything I would have to make the decision to do so or not on it's merits, I would not necessarily do it because I am Irish.
    Bernard Dunne isnt a failure, he was World Champion.
    Munster are no linger Heineken cup champions, is Paul O'Connell a failure?
    shane86 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

Is Zidane a failed footballer because he only won one world cup he took part in?

Is Fergie a failed manager because he has only won the title around 30- 40% of his 23 year career?

Sorry folks you cannot compare the likes of O'Connell (and I hate the Munster/Irish rugby bandwagon), Zidane or Fergie, who have competed at the top of their respective professions for years, with a boxer that fails to defend a world title (on home soil) at the first attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

SlickRic wrote: »
    no, it's not.

and that's wrong.

where the f*ck are common values? this just hammers it home for me that it is ALL about the money, fame etc.

anybody who doesn't want to play for their country, play in the world cup, represent the people of where they're from, well, i don't want to say.

it tells us something about his character i'm afraid.

it's all about him, and good riddance.

i'd have loved to see his talent in a green shirt, but at this stage, he doesn't deserve the honour; even though he obviously doesn't want it.

so what?? think about whatever it is that you do for a living and then ask yourself if you would be willin to take time out of your downtime to go do that for free 5 or 6 times a year or maybe more!!

Personally i think its silly for people to slate someone who doesnt want to play for his country. Big deal. He doesnt have to. He is a human being, he does not become irish property simply because he worked his socks off to get to where he is today, and regardless of what you think about steven ireland you can be sure that he worked hard to get to where he is. I say f he doesnt wanna play thats fine. His own decisions!

Besides andy reid is desperate to play for ireland and is having a good season in the EPL but doesnt get a look in. That is what we should be addressing and not trying to force someone to play.

By the way, lol at anybody saying to call him up again and see if he comes and if he doesnt to forget about him, talk about clutching at straws!! Besides, we as a nation, how many chances are we gonna give this guy or anybody before we tell him where to go!! A big of dignity guys!!

Advertisement