Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland - The door is firmly shut (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Having read the text of that interview it seems as though Ireland is like a 14 yeah old trying to explain his way out of coming home after a few cans to his parents.

Basically saying everything and anything that he thinks will make the unwanted attention go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

of course he is, he doesn't want to be asked the same question by journalists for the rest of his career. It's minnowism of the highest order from the Irish public that one player gets this much attention, I'd say he can't believe it and must wonder do the Irish public think he's Pele or something. 11 pages on this since yesterday afternoon of people actually angry at 1 person because he couldn't be bothered playing for Ireland. He doesn't like football, he said it before, playing for Man City is a job for him, playing for Ireland is a hindrance. That's the end of it. I play GAA and know of lots of lads who've said they don't want to be involved in the Dublin set-up again by the time they were 23, it was just too much hard work and they hadn't the time or interest. Whether it was work commitments, family, or just plain old wanting to get drunk every weekend they made their decision and none of them regret it.

Lets move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

What if all those people who helped Stephen at underage level and gave their time for free , took the same position? What if they decided that they all wanted to be paid for their time and were not going to do it for free- all the fund-raising, ferrying young Stephens to away matches , taking them for training sessions and cutting the grass on the pitches etc. ?
    How many future Stephens would we produce?
    mormank wrote: »

Personally i think its silly for people to slate someone who doesnt want to play for his country. Big deal. He doesnt have to. He is a human being, he does not become irish property simply because he worked his socks off to get to where he is today, and regardless of what you think about steven ireland you can be sure that he worked hard to get to where he is. I say f he doesnt wanna play thats fine. His own decisions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I bear Stephen Ireland no ill will at all, if he doesn't want to play for Ireland that's his choice. I think Trap's response should be along the lines of:
    I've read the article, and I welcome Stephen's statement that he'll never play for Ireland again. I will not be making any attempt to entice him back into the squad, in fact he will never play for Ireland as long as I am manager. As far as I'm concerned the matter is now closed, I will not be answering any questions about him again.

Or words to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

podge018 wrote: »
    I play GAA and know of lots of lads who've said they don't want to be involved in the Dublin set-up again by the time they were 23, it was just too much hard work and they hadn't the time or interest. Whether it was work commitments, family, or just plain old wanting to get drunk every weekend they made their decision and none of them regret it.
    It's not comparing like for like though. Putting in the extra effort when you're getting paid at least €50K a week compared to getting €50K a year are two totally different things.

I think it's a very small commitment to put something back into something that means an awful lot to an awful lot of people.

Personally I think that it's choice if he doesn't want to play for us, I just think it's a shame that he feels that way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I bear Stephen Ireland no ill will at all, if he doesn't want to play for Ireland that's his choice. I think Trap's response should be along the lines of:

Or words to that effect.

I agree, I stated earlier, he should be called up to a squad. If he says no the country will be in no doubt that he doesn't want to play. I feel this is the only way to stop people going on about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mayordenis wrote: »
    It seems he needs constant attention and for everyone to focus on his needs and wants.

I don't presume to know what goes on inside his head, but surely the lion's share of this constant attention is generated by people other than him?

His statement would seem to be pretty unequivocal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

podge018 wrote: »
    I play GAA and know of lots of lads who've said they don't want to be involved in the Dublin set-up again by the time they were 23, it was just too much hard work and they hadn't the time or interest. Whether it was work commitments, family, or just plain old wanting to get drunk every weekend they made their decision and none of them regret it..

They dont regret it now, but you can guarantee in the future they will, your football/soccer career is very short.

They'll be in the late 30's early 40's, no longer able to play at a high level and look back with regret.

You can drink and get hammerd for the rest of your life if it doesnt kill you, but you cant be a professional footballer or a top GAA player.

Some people are driven, some people aren't.

Some people want to be the best they can be, and compete at the higest level to prove themselves and oush themselves, others dont.

A lot of it with Gaelic footballers is Mickey trouble, and women dictating becasue their not professional and getting paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

I agree, I stated earlier, he should be called up to a squad. If he says no the country will be in no doubt that he doesn't want to play. I feel this is the only way to stop people going on about it.

People will keep "going on about it" because he is in the public eye and they will almost certainly keep going on about it if everytime International games come round he is quoted in the press about how much he loves not being involved..

and btw he recently banned the Irish media from his "press conference" now you can make excuses and sugar it up any way you want but at the end of the day that's 2 fingers up to likes of you and me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

stovelid wrote: »
    I don't presume to know what goes on inside his head, but surely the lion's share of this constant attention is generated by people other than him?

His statement would seem to be pretty unequivocal.

thats the impression i get too. hes said no, what more is there to discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

dogpile wrote: »
    People will keep "going on about it" because he is in the public eye and they will almost certainly keep going on about it if everytime International games come round he is quoted in the press about how much he loves not being involved..

and btw he recently banned the Irish media from his "press conference" now you can make excuses and sugar it up any way you want but at the end of the day that's 2 fingers up to likes of you and me

He cant be quoted saying anything if he's not asked about it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

“Players these days don’t see as pride in their country....... That was the way it always was for me.........." Excatly Stephen thats the way it was for YOU but not everybody so keep your greedy arrogant mouth shut on what other people think you littel rat!

"Me and my financial adviser, who’s looked after me all my life and is someone I really trust, sat down with Trapattoni...." his financial adviser sat down at a meeting about returning to the national team,(enough said) because why? finance is not gonna be impacted by palying the games, that says it all ha

"guess he shouldn’t have to sell it to me. But I think he should have made some sort of effort to sell it to me, and he just never really did that. "
    your right Stephen, he doesnt have to sell it to you. so fck off.

And I dont think Trap has to make any statement regarding this as its an issue that is outstanding since before Trap

"Then Steve Staunton called me up, and I’d just broken into the City team, so I felt I had to go. "
    "I just had no intention of ever going. I just never enjoyed it.”

"”It’s like I was never there and I don’t miss it all if I’m honest"

Good riddance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

He is allowed not play for his country if he so wishes. I will never understand it but there you go. This is by far the most comprehensive and honest interview he has given and I for one welcome an end to all the cryptic bullsiht he was excelling in previously. You need commited players, he is not nor has ever been committed. To City fans I say beware.

I am delighted that this is over and done with now and we don't have another repeat of the Saipan incident. Can you imagine him deciding to jack it injust before South Africa. We would be a laughing stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Close the door, nail it shut, and throw away the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Its probably time lock this thread and finish up, its done just like irelands international career.

Like others I cant understand it, I would take great pride in representing my country in something as meaningless as a stamp licking contest, however thats were me and stephen Ireland disagree.

He doesn't have any feeling of national pride none at all and that is unlikely to change in the near future, whatever your personal feelings on the subject the lad has spoken and at least this time it is with a conclusive end to this ridiculous situation. No one player is ever bigger than a team and at times this Stephen Ireland lark has tended to over shadow the actual football on the pitch.

So I say sayonara so long and goodbye Mr. Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Trapp should call him up to the squad, if he doesn't turn up then we know for sure he's no interest.

Lads, ye can't be serious. He has clearly stated that he never wants to play for his country again and has no intention of returning. Why in the hell would you want to name him in an Ireland squad after that? There is no doubt at this stage.

If you ever read a diary of professional footballers, they spend a massive amount of time just sitting around "resting". He has enough time to spend with them.

That's very true. Now of course Stephen Ireland can spend his free time however he likes, he's under no absolute obligation to play international football if he doesn't want to. But suggesting that he needs the free time to be with his kids is a load of crap. A Footballer's working day is over by 2PM, they have ALOT of free time. So that's a non-issue.

And I don't believe for one second that international football will die. Just because one or two spoilt prima donnas don't fancy it, that doesn't mean all others will follow suit. It still means alot to plenty of players. You only have to see the pride that lads like John Terry and Wayne Rooney have in playing for England. You won't see Rooney faking injury on an England trip.

Even Beckham, despite all his 'extracurricular' activities, seems to love playing for his country. They could easily decide they'd rather spend the Summer on a beach somewhere than be playing for England, but playing in the World Cup is still a major thing for any player, you don't get many chances to do it in your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I agree that it is his choice if he doesn't want to play for the national team. Personally i think less of any Irish professional footballer who doesn't have a desire to wear the green jersey. They have a very easy life (with far, far more free time then the rest of us have) and they get massively well paid for it. Spending a few weeks a year playing some extra football is not such an onerous task as some would like to portray it imo. When the pros do play for the national team it brings huge joy and pride to lots of fans in this country.

Aside from whether he wants to play for his country or not S Ireland's words show a real lack of class imo. He says he never really wanted to play for Ireland. As i say, that's his choice, but then he tries to blame Trap and make out like he's somehow culpable. That is totally classless. Either you want to play or you don't, if Stephen didn't want to play then he shouldn't have met up with Trap. And since we now all know that he had no desire to play it only shows that Trap was right to not give him much of his time.

Since he has shown himself to be such a classless, self interested person i'm now glad that he won't be representing us on the international scene. I'd much rather support the lads who do actually want to do the best they can for the country. The likes of Keane, Given, Doyle, Whealan, JOS, O'Connell, O'Driscoll, Bernard Dunne, etc., etc. Thankfully we have plenty more of those type of characters than we have prima donas like SH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Didnt he leave Cobh when he was 12? English father?

Easy to see how he would not long to play for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

from the recent article:
    “I got called up to the full squad under Brian Kerr, then we had a massive fall-out. I stayed away for two or three years, which was a blessing in disguise. Then Steve Staunton called me up, and I’d just broken into the City team, so I felt I had to go. But after two or three squads I was thinking ’what am I doing here?’.
    irelands.html
    from December 2005 just before he broke into the squad:
    If I got a cap this season then it would make my year. There is a friendly in the spring and I would love to get in that squad under the new manager, whoever that might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

stephen ireland in lying to the media shocker! :eek:

• Advertisement

dubmick wrote: »
    from the recent article:

irelands.html
    from December 2005 just before he broke into the squad:

And there you have it, the guy's head is a mess....take anything and everything he says with a pinch of salt, and quite frankly if he said "good morning" to me I would be as likley to check my watch first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He's playin ****e lately anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

He's playin ****e lately anyway

But hes being played out of position, left wing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

nollaig wrote: »
    But hes being played out of position, left wing?

He hasn't played left wing at all. Robinho, Petrov and Bellamy.

Ireland has played as part of a two man central midfield with Barry, or else as part of a three.

I personally think he's missing Robinho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I personally think he's missing Robinho.

Aw, diddums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I dont think he's playing shi'te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd like to see him back in the squad but after the interview last month it's case closed.

He had a hit and miss international career under Brian Kerr and then had to play under Stephen Staunton. I sure as hell wouldn't want to go back if I'd gone through that.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I don't resent Ireland to be honest. I think he is doing the right thing, because his heart is not in it. I don't think anybody should be forced to play for their national team if their heart isn't in it.

At least he is giving other lads the chance to get their game and giving them the chance to fulfil their dreams. He doesn't have an attitude problem, he just doesn't like playing for Ireland. He's entitled to that.

Now, get Andy Reid back in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Thanks for posting the interview Xavi.

I think its he's immature, and engaging in a bit of a 'I don't need ye'. Too many inconsistancies. 'It would make my year', to 'I always hated it'. From, 'Its such a chore, I want the time with my kids', to, 'I'll meet with Trap, it wont do any harm.' If he was being honest about his disdain for international football and loving the time off it would be simple, 'Sorry mr trapatoni, I don't have any interest in playing international football. See ye.'

Then wanting Trap to 'sell it to him' and being pissed off and ironically accusing Trap of arrogance when he didn't treat him with reverance.

If I thought that he was being honest about his kids, then i'd say fair enough. Its an honourable reason. I don't though. I think he is childish, and dishonest. IMO, he should not be given a green jersey again unless he expresses his absolute passion to play in it again. For now though, at least its case shut. There are much more worthy players, maybe not as good, but certainly more worthy. I hope that there is no media call for anyone to go 'coaxing' him again, or that any future Ireland manager goes and tries to coax him neither. IMO, that would be the equivalent of giving the spoiled kid who is screaming and kicking in the middle of the supermarket, sweets and pop. He's unreliable, and his apathy and contempt for playing for us should always be taken into account regardless of his skills as a player.

he is now dead to me, sob, sob:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Can anyone explain this line: "I guess he shouldn’t have to sell it to me. But I think he should have made some sort of effort to sell it to me"? He wasn't going to come back, but then somehow blames traps for not selling it to him, even though he says himself that he shouldn't have to?

"I think at the time he didn’t rate me as a player"
    Why would Stephen Ireland think traps didn't rate him if he went to the trouble of requesting a meeting with him to come back into the team? Why would traps want a player he doesn't rate?
    Why would he say 'I'm available for selection, very much available. We need someone like him (Trapattoni) hopefully to bring it out of us and get us playing." if he had no intention of coming back?
    It seems to me, every time Ireland opens his mouth, he contradicts himself. I remember an interview with Richard Dunne and he was asked about Ireland. In fairness, dunne was sick of Stephen Ireland questions at that stage, it was back when Ireland was saying he was going to come back but actually had no intention. Anyway, Dunne seemed to think Ireland was seriously immature.
    Des wrote: »
    And that story about Trapattoni and the phones.

Fúck sake like, how disrespectful is that. If that happened to me, I wouldn't wait around for the third phone to ring, I'd be a gonner after the ignorant prick I was meeting with took his second call.
    Stephen ireland said that in an interview before, traps said it was rubbish. Believe whoever you want, traps, or ireland.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hot off the press -

http://goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2009/10/05/1542471/belgian-goalkeeper-stijn-stijnen-announces-international

Kris Boyd, Lee McCulloch and Jason Koumas have all retired from international football during this campaign, despite having plenty to offer to their country.

Up to date enough?
    That's 4 players out of almost every player in the world! And reasons were given by mayordenis why they don't play. Most are 30 and over and not good enough anymore.
    Now look at this list:
    Messi, Rooney, Ronaldo, Kaka, Robinho, Given, Drogba, Torres, Xavi, Fabregas, Gerrard, Eto'o, Lampard, Ballack, Ribery, Villa, Buffon, Casillas, Iniesta, Ibrahimovich. There's some players that haven't given up international football. Wonder what the TV audience of the world cup will be? Considering Ireland thinks internationals will be a thing of the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

As I see it there are three big reasons to play for your national side:

1: Love of playing, chance of playing in the world's biggest tournaments.

2: National pride, putting on the green jersey and all that.

3: Bringing happiness to the nation's football fans.

It's rubbish to suggest that these factors have diminished to the point where international football will become a thing of the past. IMO this is S.Ireland claiming that he's part of some new trend among football players as opposed to admitting that he simply doesn't recognise the above points enough to leave his home for a few weekends in the year.

As regards the phones thing - seriously, think about it. The fairly elderly Trapp has 4 different mobile phones?? I mean what the hell would that achieve bar disorganisation? Also, he supposedly had three on his person and the last one in his bag. COME ON PEOPLE!!!

As regards what Quint said - I'll bet any amount of money that of all the competitive national teams(say the one's that make playoff places for this world cup), you won't be able to find ten players under the age of 27 that have retired but continue to play club football. This will be the same in 2014 and 2018 and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Seems to me that Ireland is the archetypal modern 'Sky Sports' brand of footballer. Interested only in money, the footballer's lifestyle, the WAG's the hideous tacky cars and the trappings of being a professional footballer.

The most telling thing for me is that he took his "financial adviser" along with him to meet that manager of his country.

Yeh it's clearly about the money with him, I mean that comes across in the interview right? Oh no, not in the slightest.

Reasons he states for not playing internationally:
    - Doesn't think its that big a deal
    - Gets to spend time with his kids

What a wanker eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Stephen England! Good riddance to him. He's a disgrace to this country. When you think of all the people who play their heart out for this country on next to no money (Derval O'Rourke, David Gillick, Sam Lynch etc) you begin to realise what a disgrace this lad is. As far as I'm concerned he's not Irish. He may as well be Colombian of Croatian the way I look at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Personally I think it's sad that a player of his ability is never going to play for us again. I think he really could've made the difference in our team with his precision passing and goal scoring ability; especially since Stephen Reid is very injury prone and may now fully concentrate on his club career that pays him to play, and the Andy Reid / Trappatoni debacle. We've no ability in the centre of the park at all. I'm not a Andrews or Whelan fan, and the more I see of Gibson the less convinced I am about him.

I think it may say something about Cork peoples natural rebellious nature, or it may just be a coincidence, but his attitude reminds me a little of Roy Keanes. I just think playing for your country should be the utmost honour, even if you don't get on with a manager, or if the team isn't run as professionally as a premier league outfit. Is Ireland ashamed to be Irish. His surname seems a little ironic.

I'm naturally optimistic about our teams chances. But I have a bad feeling, we're going to look back on this one after failing to qualify with a horrible feeling of what might have been... if only things had been slightly different (getting screwed by Fifa was just the iceing on the cake).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Personally I think we should forget about Stephen Ireland. He means nothing to our country now so shouldnt this be moved to the man city thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rondolfus wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland typifies everything that is wrong with the modern day footballer. He's arrogant, got absolutely no class whatsoever and is extremely self centred. It sickens me, especially in the current climate when people are being evicted from their houses and losing their jobs, that people like him complain about how tough it is for them to kick a ball around the pitch for about 50,000euro a week. Very classy indeed. Imagine he actually had to do a real job!!

He should take a look at Bernard Dunnes speech after he lost his recent fight. Thats a man who takes pride in representing his country. A man who was given a talent and wants to share it with Ireland becuase he understands how much of a lift it gives his country. Something that Stephen Judas Ireland will never understand.

Win lose or draw we're better of without people like that.

Well said sir.

I just hope that the players and fans in Croke Park tonight get behind each other and give him something to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

joe123 wrote: »
    Personally I think we should forget about Stephen Ireland. He means nothing to our country now so shouldnt this be moved to the man city thread?
    Could'nt agree more. Some people just can't let it go. Pathetic TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Rondolfus wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland typifies everything that is wrong with the modern day footballer. He's arrogant, got absolutely no class whatsoever and is extremely self centred. It sickens me, especially in the current climate when people are being evicted from their houses and losing their jobs, that people like him complain about how tough it is for them to kick a ball around the pitch for about 50,000euro a week. Very classy indeed. Imagine he actually had to do a real job!!

He should take a look at Bernard Dunnes speech after he lost his recent fight. Thats a man who takes pride in representing his country. A man who was given a talent and wants to share it with Ireland becuase he understands how much of a lift it gives his country. Something that Stephen Judas Ireland will never understand.

Win lose or draw we're better of without people like that.
    Here here. Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mormank wrote: »
    so what?? think about whatever it is that you do for a living and then ask yourself if you would be willin to take time out of your downtime to go do that for free 5 or 6 times a year or maybe more!!

if my job was playing football, for at least 50k a week, doing that for my country for free is something i would give my right arm to do. ffs, you make that sound like it's a chore. it's not the same as any other job.

you mentioned about him not being 'irish property'? no, he's not. of course he's not.

but as a human being you should take some pride in your roots. you should take pride in representing your people. not everything, despite what the modern world may tell you, should be about money and yourself.

it says something about the individual if that's their attitude.

he doesn't have an absolute responsibility to play for Ireland per se, but the fact he won't tells us a lot about him as a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Even leaving aside the whole "pride in your country" argument, S Ireland fails to see the various benefits that playing international football can provide a player. Aside from profile (and the money-making opportunties that can arise), international football provides invaluble experience for a player, particularly if we have the good fortune to qualify for a major tournament during his career. Remember, he plays for a non-Champions league team and while City (and/or S Ireland) may turn out to be playing Champions league, his failure to play at a higher level is detrimental to his career.

Add to that the 'legacy' issue; there is no doubt that players who have an international dimension have a reputational edge on those who dont.

And finally, even if he doesnt care for Ireland, international football is one of the major reasons for the success and popularity of football as a sport and he should be cognisant of the debt he owes to football, even if he doesnt feel he has any debt to Ireland.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    As I see it there are three big reasons to play for your national side:

1: Love of playing, chance of playing in the world's biggest tournaments.

2: National pride, putting on the green jersey and all that.

3: Bringing happiness to the nation's football fans.

It's rubbish to suggest that these factors have diminished to the point where international football will become a thing of the past. IMO this is S.Ireland claiming that he's part of some new trend among football players as opposed to admitting that he simply doesn't recognise the above points enough to leave his home for a few weekends in the year.

A good quote from elswhere..."he's like the fox with no tail telling all the other foxes they don't need a tail"

never a truer word spoken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Funny old story all this.

I find it hard to believe anything he says, I mean, Trapattoni's said contradictory things, and so's Stephen Ireland. I know Ireland got caught out in some fairly massive lies in the past, but I wouldn't automatically assume he's the liar, merely state that I've know idea what the truth is.

There've always been rumours about him being bullied, etc, and reading that article, it strikes me that he's someone whose not very mature. He's only six months older than me, and I know there are moments when I'm more impulsive than thoughtful. Usually about women, but whatever. People react stupidly to things at all ages, but especially when younger.

For donkeys years now, he's been at Citeh, he's been surrounded by people who know him, he's been comfortable there. The national side obviously put him out of his comfort zone, and then he ended up being bullied or whatever.

Not a huge surprise to see him leave in that context.

At teh end of the day, he doesn't want to play for us. Grand. He can fcuk off then. If he does ever want to play for us again, maybe he'll get a chance, but to be honest, I doubt it.

His attitude stinks.

Shut the door and bolt the lock. Players who want to play for their country please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Seriously lads, we have talked and talked about this guy, i know he is a very good player but he is hardly the next Maradona is he! We have players in the squad who want to play for their country, they are nowhere near the standard of Ireland and they probably shouldnt be in the team every time but i would take a Keith Andrews and Glenn Whelan anyday over a guy who doesnt want to represent Ireland

How about we all just move on from him?

actually, it will be a slow weekend with internationals wont it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

drkpower wrote: »
    Remember, he plays for a non-Champions league team and while City (and/or S Ireland) may turn out to be playing Champions league, his failure to play at a higher level is detrimental to his career.

I can't really see how missing out on playing the likes of Cyprus and Montenegro is detrimental to his career.

He's made his decision,and whether you agree with it or not,I'd hope the media will lay off him now,it can't be helping the squad of players who are trying to qualify for a world cup,to be reading this tripe in the papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

I can't really see how missing out on playing the likes of Cyprus and Montenegro is detrimental to his career.

He's made his decision,and whether you agree with it or not,I'd hope the media will lay off him now,it can't be helping the squad of players who are trying to qualify for a world cup,to be reading this tripe in the papers.

You could say the same about Darlington or Shrewsbury in the FA or League Cup and even Hull or Wolves in the Premier League. To get to the big boys, you have to play the minnows.

Who are we playing tonight again, by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Good point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

What a strange person Stephen Ireland is.
    He always struck me as being odd.
    It's a pity he doesn't want to play for his country as he is a very gifted footballer, however his assertion that international football is in decline is just a small insight into his narcissism.
    I like Stephen Ireland the footballer, but Stephen Ireland the man seems like an absolutely abject little runt.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Taken from Tim's blog on the BBC website, a question and answer, summed up beautifully in his final paragraph I thought.
    Q) There was an interesting interview with Stephen Ireland in one of the tabs, in which he stated that international football would become an anachronism, and top players would start to retire young from the "chore" of the international scene. I personally agree with him, and think the World Cup as we know it will be gone in 20-30 years (or sooner). It will probably be replaced by a genuine "World Club Cup" or "World Super League", (Corinthians v Arsenal, L'pool v Boca juniors, etc...).

What is the view in S. America? Is there appetite for a "global league"? Surely it's in their interests, financially, to break the European stranglehold on the game? The top clubs there could easily compete against English, Spanish or Italian opposition. Are South Americans generally more loyal to their club or country?
    M W Goble

A) Over here it's true that diehard supporters are often not so into the national team. But for the rest of the population, even for many who are not normally football fans, the shirt of the national team is the most potent symbol of Brazil, Uruguay or Argentina.

I've seen the difference here between Brazil winning the World Cup and Corinthians winning the World Club title. The latter was football. The former is an event that transcends sport entirely and becomes a statement about a nation - for this reason international football will continue to have the power to reach more people on a deeper basis than the club game.

If Stephen Ireland had the chance to represent a nation of over 190 million all desperate to win the World Cup I doubt very much that he'd see it as a chore. He would probably view it as the highlight of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I don't want to hear much more on the subject either. Growing tired of it.Although, he spun the Irish media and the Irish people (who he had claimed previously that he loved representing) a bag of yarns...and think he deserves a fair bit of "tripe", considering he dished enough of it out himself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement