Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland - The door is firmly shut (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

So you believe they are compareable then???

No. Where did you get that idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

flahavaj wrote: »
    He was bothered 64 times, in fairness.

If he was english hed probably have 164 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Nor do Arsenal if RVP accidentally breaks his leg while playing for Holland. It happens.

We will continue to have to pay his wages while at the same time we lose our best player, not only could this cost us the chance of winning a trophy but their is also the financial knock on for us as a club :(

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Ah apologies, see the press make up their own stuff just backing up my statement :D. But another way is he wants to spend time with his kids and wife, if someone told you, you had to leave your kids and go off and do something you are not enjoying and not getting paid for it, during the little time you get to spend with them? Not aimed at you by the way flav a vag*na as I heard Minto calling you :D

"Yuh."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

No. Where did you get that idea?

I thought you were.
    Apologies

OPENROAD wrote: »
    We will continue to have to pay his wages while at the same time we lose our best player, not only could this cost us the chance of winning a trophy but their is also the financial knock on for us as a club :(

Do you think international soccer should be abolished in that case?

Also Fabregas is your best player, in fact probably the best in Europe atm.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

In an ideal world, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Did i even imply he was a scumbag???

did i imply you did?

Giggs retired to concentrate on prolonging his career in 2007
    Ireland retired because he does not want to play for his country.
    Helix wrote: »
    and both are perfectly entitled to do exactly what they did without internet warriors deciding that one of them is a scumbag because of it
    did i imply you did?

Probably......

Probably......

or probably not?

• Advertisement

or probably not?

If you didnt why post it in a reply of one of my posts.

All i'm saying is this
    The best players in the world play international football.
    They all call it a great honour.My point is a player should aspire to play for his country.If not thats grand but imo if your a professional footballer and the thought of playing for your country in a world cup finals does not excite you then what will? I'd have serious doubts about any professional player not wanting to play for their country, especially the excuses Ireland has stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

OPENROAD wrote: »
    In an ideal world, yes.

Watching the World Cup and the European Championships have been highlights of my sporting life.

Incredible competitions, so much diversity,passion,controversy,skill,grit and determination involving the best footballers in the world.
    Players will get injured either way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Everytime there's an important Ireland match, this fella Stephen Ireland comes out of the woodwork to give an exclusive interview, saying how much he doesn't regret retiring from international football. It's laughable and a bit pathetic at this stage, he's like a spoilt child. Maybe if we ignore him, he might go away.

Everytime there's an important Ireland match, this fella Stephen Ireland comes out of the woodwork to give an exclusive interview, saying how much he doesn't regret retiring from international football. It's laughable and a bit pathetic at this stage, he's like a spoilt child. Maybe if we ignore him, he might go away.

i really dont think that he hunts down the press to give these interviews to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

You have to admit though his timing is always questionable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

i really dont think that he hunts down the press to give these interviews to be honest

And I doubt they have to waterboard him for a response.

A simple "nothing has changed since my last interview, next question" would suffice.

From both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

To be honest i reckon he'd rather if people stopped asking him about it every time internationals come around.

The chap doesn't want to play for Ireland thats fair enough, people are going on like he should be conscripted into the side for christsake, if he doesnt feel any passion for the Irish football side thats his business. He owes Ireland fuck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Surprised this thread is still running. If half the things he is saying are true that have been reported we should be revoking this lads passport. For nearly every player out there the height of their career should be playing for their country in the World Cup. This lad comes across as a spoilt immature child and tbh I think from a team point of view we would do far better without someone of that attitude on the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

gandalf wrote: »
    Surprised this thread is still running. If half the things he is saying are true that have been reported we should be revoking this lads passport. For nearly every player out there the height of their career should be playing for their country in the World Cup. This lad comes across as a spoilt immature child and tbh I think from a team point of view we would do far better without someone of that attitude on the team.

So he should want to play for Ireland, but shouldn't be in the team cause he is "spoilt".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

With Stephen Ireland it's not just the refusal to play for his country

it's also the
    - two grannys tale
    - the pink-rimmed wheels
    - the mickey mouse shorts

all contribute to his unpopularity.

I am sure there are more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

TBH the whole "oh I only keep saying things to the press because I'm asked" excuse would be an awful lot more credible if his story didn't evolve each time he's interviewed.

O.K. Stephen, so now you've lost interest in playing International football, you want more time with your family and the Dublin-over-Cork selection bias annoys you...

wonder what'll be next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

was there actually an interview though lads? those quotes are remarkably similar to the last time this story ran, it seems to be the usual tabloid style re-reporting of an old story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

I'm telling you know, he's a hundred per cent correct about there being other players who feel the same, but who are too afraid of this kind of backlash if they actually came out and said it.[/quote]
    so name them so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

it's also the
    - two grannys tale
    - the pink-rimmed wheels

Don't forget the superman y fronts...

but the pink rimmed wheels....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Neil3030 wrote: »
    TBH the whole "oh I only keep saying things to the press because I'm asked" excuse would be an awful lot more credible if his story didn't evolve each time he's interviewed.

O.K. Stephen, so now you've lost interest in playing International football, you want more time with your family and the Dublin-over-Cork selection bias annoys you...

wonder what'll be next...

I think he reckons by saying that at least the Cork people will support him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

No but players that are hugely integral parts of their club team shouldn't have to play in meaningless international friendlies.

Frisbee wrote: »
    No but players that are hugely integral parts of their club team shouldn't have to play in meaningless international friendlies.

So should international friendlies be abolished altogether, or should they just be for mediocre players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Seems to me that Ireland is the archetypal modern 'Sky Sports' brand of footballer. Interested only in money, the footballer's lifestyle, the WAG's the hideous tacky cars and the trappings of being a professional footballer.
    How dare he be interested in his wife! :D
    All i'm saying is this
    The best players in the world play international football.
    They all call it a great honour.My point is a player should aspire to play for his country.If not thats grand but imo if your a professional football and the thought of playing for your country in a world cup finals does not excite you then what will? I'd have serious doubts about any professional player not wanting to play for their country, especially the excuses Ireland has stated.
    Well sure they SAY its a great honour but if they dont think so i doubt they will say in an interview "i dont really enjoy playing for my country at all really and the fans are morons as well" there have been players before saying the dont like playing football e.g. jesper gronkjaer (and im sure some dont like playing international football as well)
    thought it was interesting when i wikied jesper i saw this:
    "At the beginning of February 2006, Grønkjær and Tomasson openly criticised Trapattoni as "lacking the will to attack and win." The criticism came after 12 drawn games out of 20, and although Trapattoni wanted to assert his authority and benched both players in the next game, he himself was fired the very next day, on 9 February 2006.
    Seems like we should have been expecting player fall out and boring draws!!
    Note: sorry i highlighted your speling mistake "professional football" but i just read it and laughed alot (a bit immature:o)

adamski8 wrote: »
    Note: sorry i highlighted your speling mistake "professional football" but i just read it and laughed alot (a bit immature:o)

Ha, just done the same :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

it's also the
    - two grannys tale
    - the pink-rimmed wheels

It's pretty sad when people have to examine a player's personal life in order to come up with reasons for disliking him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Leaving aside the international business for a moment and his mental problems...

The lad is one of the best young attacking midfielders in the PL, up there with Fabregas definitely. Rarely do I ever see him give the ball away, always do I see him constantly looking for the ball, he makes killer passes and scores the odd goal or two aswell. I would love to see him at Man Utd tbh. Magnificent talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's pretty sad when people have to examine a player's personal life in order to come up with reasons for disliking him.

Equally sad to come up with reasons to defend him based on the club he plays for. I cant recall Marlon King being a particularly diving, cheating, cocky, violent etc etc player in the Joey Barton, Ronaldo or Drogba mould, it hardly means I cant think he is a *banned comment* based on his personal life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

it's also the
    - two grannys tale
    - the pink-rimmed wheels

AFAIK it's just his refusal to play for his country that makes me dislike him. I could'nt care less about all the other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Really - you have a problem with people disliking Marlon King? How about if people don't like Lee Hughes? Is it sad to dislike them? Is it 'sad' to dislike Luke McCormick for killing two people due to drink driving - that is his personal life after all?

Such sweeping statements like yours help nothing - it is perfectly reasonable to dislike a footballer for reasons to do with their personal life, when those reasons have been well documented.

I was also going to add Joey Barton, but he has done enough football related crap to dislike him anyway

i dont know him personally, so tbh i think any actual personal dislike of stephen ireland would be a little bit weird and, dare i say it, mental

Really - you have a problem with people disliking Marlon King? How about if people don't like Lee Hughes? Is it sad to dislike them? Is it 'sad' to dislike Luke McCormick for killing two people due to drink driving - that is his personal life after all?

Such sweeping statements like yours help nothing - it is perfectly reasonable to dislike a footballer for reasons to do with their personal life, when those reasons have been well documented.

I was also going to add Joey Barton, but he has done enough football related crap to dislike him anyway

Such sweeping statements about a player's choice of car meaning they're an idiot do nothing either. Mentioning the likes of Stephen Ireland in a conversation with woman beaters and murderers as if it's the same thing is lovely though. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Jesus christ are people still talking about Stephen Ireland? How can we still be here after he said no months/years back!!!

Move on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Such sweeping statements about a player's choice of car meaning they're an idiot do nothing either. Mentioning the likes of Stephen Ireland in a conversation with woman beaters and murderers as if it's the same thing is lovely though. Well done.

Oh, how is the high ground there?

You said is is sad to delve into A PLAYER's personal life to find reasons to dislike them - your comments certainly appears to have been a general statement on the judgement of footballers, not on Stephen Ireland in particular.

I am simply pointing out that not liking a footballer for issues from their personal life isn't unreasonable.

As for not liking Stephen Ireland cause of the style of his cars, it is a bit stupid, but then people form snap judgements on 'boyracers' and their modded 1 litre starlets - and they are a lot more tasteful than what S.I has done to the Audi and the Bentley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

shane86 wrote: »
    , it hardly means I cant think he is a *banned comment* based on his personal life.

must remember that one :D

Oh, how is the high ground there?

You said is is sad to delve into A PLAYER's personal life to find reasons to dislike them - your comments certainly appears to have been a general statement on the judgement of footballers, not on Stephen Ireland in particular.

I am simply pointing out that not liking a footballer for issues from their personal life isn't unreasonable.

As for not liking Stephen Ireland cause of the style of his cars, it is a bit stupid, but then people form snap judgements on 'boyracers' and their modded 1 litre starlets - and they are a lot more tasteful than what S.I has done to the Audi and the Bentley.

I'd have thought that convicted criminals would be commonly deemed to be exceptions and it wouldn't need to be stated but I can stick a little disclaimer next time to clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

One of the most interesting debates over the year has been the "Should he / Shouldn't he be allowed in the team when Ireland qualify for the World Cup" debate.

A completely irrelevant debate considering the chap has never indicated he wanted to be part of any Ireland team, world cup or not.

I have the utmost respect for Stephen Ireland's stance. He doesn't want to play international football, so he isn't playing international football.

The "fans" who are so critical of the chap I can only describe as idiots and goons. Every time an International match comes up, I know there's going to be a lot of coverage about Stephen Ireland not making himself available. This of course riles up the "fans" and they get to fling about their, often ignorant, rants to anybody within range, working themselves up into a bit of tizzy.

At this stage, people need to suck up their distress about one player choosing not to play for an international team, and remember that while Trap doesn't have a choice in choosing Stephen Ireland, he could easily be picking Andy Reid, a bright shining light in the Sunderland team, and the most improved player in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Cactus Col wrote: »
    One of the most interesting debates over the year has been the "Should he / Shouldn't he be allowed in the team when Ireland qualify for the World Cup" debate.

A completely irrelevant debate considering the chap has never indicated he wanted to be part of any Ireland team, world cup or not.

I have the utmost respect for Stephen Ireland's stance. He doesn't want to play international football, so he isn't playing international football.

The "fans" who are so critical of the chap I can only describe as idiots and goons. Every time an International match comes up, I know there's going to be a lot of coverage about Stephen Ireland not making himself available. This of course riles up the "fans" and they get to fling about their, often ignorant, rants to anybody within range, working themselves up into a bit of tizzy.

At this stage, people need to suck up their distress about one player choosing not to play for an international team, and remember that while Trap doesn't have a choice in choosing Stephen Ireland, he could easily be picking Andy Reid, a bright shining light in the Sunderland team, and the most improved player in the Premiership.

I've no issue with the player, if he makes a decision and sticks with it, fair play to him, and good luck.

What I do have an issue with is the manner in which it happened (grannygate) and the timing of his latest interview. He should just stfu and bugger off tbh, instead all he's doing is stirring it up for those who actually want to play for Ireland. And this whole Cork V Dublin thing? Give me a break FFS Stephen.

Would I have Ireland in the team as a player? 100%, no question. Would I have in the team as a person? I wouldn't let him within 100 miles of the country tbh, he's one person who is very easy to dislike, and just seems intent on destabilising and muck-raking.

Now I just wish he'd stfu and get on with plying his trade for MC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Indeed. The timing of Ireland's latest comments just stink of attention seeking. What did he say there that he hasn't said before? He just seems desperate to put himself back into the limelight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

In his defence though, he's always gonna be ask for a quote before any big game. It's just sad that he can't show a bit of class and say that he has already made his position clear on that matter and could he have the next question please.

Hobart wrote: »
    What I do have an issue with is the manner in which it happened (grannygate) and the timing of his latest interview. He should just stfu and bugger off tbh, instead all he's doing is stirring it up for those who actually want to play for Ireland. And this whole Cork V Dublin thing? Give me a break FFS Stephen.

Now I just wish he'd stfu and get on with plying his trade for MC.
    Indeed. The timing of Ireland's latest comments just stink of attention seeking. What did he say there that he hasn't said before? He just seems desperate to put himself back into the limelight.

If you want to stop reading about what he's saying, stop reading his interviews. Don't buy a newspaper that has an "exclusive" Stephen Ireland interview in it.

Now I'd be suspicious about the exclusive nature of the interviews, and the timing of them. A lot of the quotes I've read, were similar to ones from the last international break. I don't think anything new has been said.

BUT! While the "fans" keep his situation a story, it will always be a story. So again, fans complaining about hearing Stephen Ireland in the press, only have themselves to blame.

If you want to stop reading Stephen Ireland interviews, then be proactive and stop reading Stephen Ireland interviews.

It's simple really.

If you want to stop reading about what he's saying, stop reading his interviews. Don't buy a newspaper that has an "exclusive" Stephen Ireland interview in it.

Now I'd be suspicious about the exclusive nature of the interviews, and the timing of them. A lot of the quotes I've read, were similar to ones from the last international break. I don't think anything new has been said.

BUT! While the "fans" keep his situation a story, it will always be a story. So again, fans complaining about hearing Stephen Ireland in the press, only have themselves to blame.

If you want to stop reading Stephen Ireland interviews, then be proactive and stop reading Stephen Ireland interviews.

It's simple really.

Sure....and maybe I'll stop watching the matches on RTE, and not listen to the press constantly questioning Trap everytime he does an interview. And sure maybe I'll stop listening to the radio, and avert my eyes from the back pages of most newspapers, maybe I'll also stop reading boards and foot.ie, and maybe I'll ask BBC to only do interviews with players whose grandparents have 100% been verified as alive and above ground (you never know, he may actually have tried to bury the poor women in his eagerness to deceive).

But, do you know what? I think most people get the message from the lad, so maybe, just maybe, we don't need it shoved down our throats every time a hack sits down in front of him, and maybe he should just do the decent and honerable thing and say "no comment".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

So if I support Ireland ie a 'fan' and read about Stephen Ireland giving an interview in which he tries to unsettle the current team by creating a Cork/Dublin divide instead of stfu and wishing the current team the best of luck I only have myself to blame for what? Thinking that Stephen is (something that will get me a ban). He is at the least very naieve and poorly managed in giving the interview in the first place and I read it because I read the papers. He is far more important in his own head than he actually is and I dislike him because of his ever increasing lame excuses not to play for his country, he should just go away (and change his surname by deed poll because it's very annoying typing Ireland all the time;))

Hobart wrote: »
    Sure....and maybe I'll stop watching the matches on RTE, and not listen to the press constantly questioning Trap everytime he does an interview. And sure maybe I'll stop listening to the radio, and avert my eyes from the back pages of most newspapers, maybe I'll also stop reading boards and foot.ie, and maybe I'll ask BBC to only do interviews with players whose grandparents have 100% been verified as alive and above ground (you never know, he may actually have tried to bury the poor women in his eagerness to deceive).

But, do you know what? I think most people get the message from the lad, so maybe, just maybe, we don't need it shoved down our throats every time a hack sits down in front of him, and maybe he should just do the decent and honorable thing and say "no comment".

Why should he say no comment?

While you keep caring what he thinks, newspapers will keep printing it.

So yes, stop buying papers with exclusive interviews with Stephen Ireland, stop texting/emailing phone in shows discussing the situation, etc.

patmac wrote: »
    So if I support Ireland ie a 'fan' and read about Stephen Ireland giving an interview in which he tries to unsettle the current team by creating a Cork/Dublin divide instead of stfu and wishing the current team the best of luck I only have myself to blame for what? Thinking that Stephen is (something that will get me a ban). He is at the least very naive and poorly managed in giving the interview in the first place and I read it because I read the papers. He is far more important in his own head than he actually is and I dislike him because of his ever increasing lame excuses not to play for his country, he should just go away (and change his surname by deed poll because it's very annoying typing Ireland all the time;))

:rolleyes:

First of all, he doesn't need any excuse not to play for his country. He doesn't want to, and I don't see why that should be a problem with anyone. Suck it up.

Secondly, the media keeps banging on about Stephen Ireland because the fans keep it a story. There have been plenty of International games in the last two years when there haven't been Stephen Ireland interviews printed. But the story keeps coming up again and again.

Why? Because the fans won't let it die.
    You want to stop hearing about it, stop keeping it a story.

Figure it out, it's not brain surgery.

Anybody with any sense of class, who had used the "apparent" death of a close relative as a pathetic excuse, in the manner in which he did (among others) would love to let sleeping dogs lie. How many excuses has he come up with at this stage? 3? 4? 5? Thats why he should say no comment, but based on past form of this guy, and his obvious liking for hearing his own opinion, it's never going to happen.

So yes, stop buying papers with exclusive interviews with Stephen Ireland, stop texting/emailing phone in shows discussing the situation, etc.

What makes you think I care, I don't. I'm just sick listening to his constant bleating, and his whoring of his opinions to the media. I couldn't care less if I never heard from the guy again tbh.
    First of all, he doesn't need any excuse not to play for his country.
    Then why does he offer them?
    He doesn't want to, and I don't see why that should be a problem with anyone. Suck it up.

Secondly, the media keeps banging on about Stephen Ireland because the fans keep it a story.
    Lol..do ya think so? How silly are you? As somebody who works in the media, I can tell you for a fact that it's Stephen Ireland and his eagerness to switch from one excuse to the next, that's keeping this a story, and nothing at all to do with the fans. Little does he realise that as long as he decides to keep singing different tunes, there are any number of papers willing to print them.
    There have been plenty of International games in the last two years when there haven't been Stephen Ireland interviews printed. But the story keeps coming up again and again.

Your nose for sniffing out the true meaning of a story is uncanny, again you seem to hit the nail on the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

First of all, he doesn't need any excuse not to play for his country. He doesn't want to, and I don't see why that should be a problem with anyone. Suck it up.

Secondly, the media keeps banging on about Stephen Ireland because the fans keep it a story. There have been plenty of International games in the last two years when there haven't been Stephen Ireland interviews printed. But the story keeps coming up again and again.

Believe it or not I don't buy newspapers for Stephen Ireland interviews your argument is ridiculous, making me and all the other fans responsible for the story continuing because we read a paper that carries the interview. The media keeps banging on about Stephen Ireland because Stephen Ireland keeps it a story, if he just said no comment and wished the team luck it would soon die a death. Figure it out, it's not brain surgery.
    By the way I'm proud to follow the Irish team despite Kevin Kilbane and it's a shame the best Irish midfielder of his generation won't play for his country, so keep standing up for him as you are in the vast minority of fans in this country.

Advertisement