Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland - The door is firmly shut (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

patmac wrote: »
    Believe it or not I don't buy newspapers for Stephen Ireland interviews your argument is ridiculous, making me and all the other fans responsible for the story continuing because we read a paper that carries the interview. The media keeps banging on about Stephen Ireland because Stephen Ireland keeps it a story, if he just said no comment and wished the team luck it would soon die a death. Figure it out, it's not brain surgery.
    By the way I'm proud to follow the Irish team despite Kevin Kilbane and it's a shame the best Irish midfielder of his generation won't play for his country, so keep standing up for him as you are in the vast minority of fans in this country.

You sound like a true fan alright :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Pointed out like a true Man City fan, the humour got lost there obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Kilbane provides zero worth to the current Irish set up. He didn't do one positive thing on Saturday, in fact he almost conspired to put the tie beyond reach. I appreciate all his courageous efforts over the years but he's simply too much of a risk in the side at this point in time.

patmac wrote: »
    Pointed out like a true Man City fan, the humour got lost there obviously.

What does that even mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Aidric wrote: »
    Kilbane provides zero worth to the current Irish set up. He didn't do one positive thing on Saturday, in fact he almost conspired to put the tie beyond reach. I appreciate all his courageous efforts over the years but he's simply too much of a risk in the side at this point in time.

+1, I'm a huge admirer of Kilbane and all he's done for us, but he's been exposed a few times during this campaign. His mistake on Saturday night was a schoolboy error.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I like Kilbane, yes he isn't the most gifted he player, but he works his socks off. I'd rather Kilbane in and Ireland jersey than S. Ireland in one at least you know Kilbane will run through a wall for the team S. Ireland will probably cry.

A great servant, but unfortunately his time is up. They should have blooded a new left-back halfway through this campaign. Or alternatively, they could play:

S Kelly Dunne St Ledger O'Shea

Although, S Kelly is a bit of a liability too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

A great servant, but unfortunately his time is up. They should have blooded a new left-back halfway through this campaign. Or alternatively, they could play:

S Kelly Dunne St Ledger O'Shea

Although, S Kelly is a bit of a liability too.

Thats why we need Rory Delap in there! He can play right back cant he? Having his throw in's against the French, or anyone in fact would be a massive bonus, strange he's not in the squad considering our affinity for set pieces.

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Thats why we need Rory Delap in there! He can play right back cant he? Having his throw in's against the French, or anyone in fact would be a massive bonus, strange he's not in the squad considering our affinity for set pieces.

Excellent choice. Thrown (no pun intended) Rory in at right-back, and move John O'shea over to left-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭clap-for-trap

yea it would be good but delap doesnt want to play for us!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

It's pretty sad when people have to examine a player's personal life in order to come up with reasons for disliking him.

surely it's irrelevant what the reasons are - just that they exist.

I've followed Manchester City since 1977. I can safely say that Stephen Ireland is the most unlikeable of all their players that I have seen in the last 32 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Anelka, Bellamy, Adebayor, Dickov, Barton, Ball.. Just off the top of my head.

Thatcher, McManaman, Tiatto....

I don't see what makes Ireland unlikeble as a City player. Gives 100% committment, loves training, helps out the young lads, and does a lot for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I don't see what makes Ireland unlikeble as a City player. Gives 100% committment, loves training, helps out the young lads, and does a lot for charity.

Loves his grannies........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Thatcher, McManaman, Tiatto....

His shenanigans make him unlikeable. That should be obvious. Great talent and a great player on top of the things you listed about him but a bit of a muppet off the pitch and when you then don't want to represent your country people aren't going to like you now, are they?

I now see you said City player, meh. Must read twice, must read twice. He's too good and City have money, Feck Stephen Ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Steven Ireland should just keep schtum when journos ask same old questions.

Kudos to Kilbane as well, he has represented our banana republic 100+ times, at least he is willing to turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

In his defence the Irish set up has never show him the love that Man City has.

When he had his serious injury problem City took care of it, nurtured him and showed him respect. And it all came good for both parties.

When he came back to the Irish set up it was 'well, this boyo has got raving reviews playing in Crumlin/Finglas/Tallaght, we'll put him on, and Ireland you can carry the water'.

I can understand the man's position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

yea it would be good but delap doesnt want to play for us!!!

Nearly certain Delap said he would come if asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sorry if this has been covered or eluded too, but I'm not reading all those pages ( lazy much)

We made an international jack ass of ourselves when we begged Roy Keane to come back after walking out on us in our biggest campaign in recent memory ( for me)

Again, we are the laughing stock of international football, by crying about a player who turned his back on his country.

There is 101 reasons and rumours why he left, something bout his granny, jeering over his hair, this that the other.

Its clear Stephen Ireland is a weird chap, with serious senstitive sally tendancies, if not a bit divaish. This is comfirmed by his rather radical lifestyle and choices.

I for one, would completely stop giving my rather small support to the irish team and national footballing in general, if he was brought back.

There is nothing more disrespectful and downright abismal, to turn your back on your country, regardless of your skill or ability.

There are guys who would give their soul to play for their country, but do not have the gifts some of these guys have that would allow them to play.

I lost alot of respect for Ireland as a whole, when the nation cried out for Roy Keanes return, for when the FAI succumbed and got him back.

If Stephen Ireland came back and was allowed back in, I would literally never watch an ireland game again. That might not be much, I'm only one person.

But there can be nothing more disrespectful then what has happend in this situation and Keane before him, and nothing more shameful and make me feel embarassed to be irish within an international footballing community, when we cry to bring them back, cause they can actually hit a 30 foot pass cross field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Can this thread not be closed.

I mean, what's the point?

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Can this thread not be closed.

I mean, what's the point?

The point is that we're keeping it all in the one spot. If this thread was closed then there would be new ones popping up every few weeks.

You don't actually have to click in and read it.....

TheDoc wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been covered or eluded too, but I'm not reading all those pages ( lazy much)

We made an international jack ass of ourselves when we begged Roy Keane to come back after walking out on us in our biggest campaign in recent memory ( for me)

Again, we are the laughing stock of international football, by crying about a player who turned his back on his country.

There is 101 reasons and rumours why he left, something bout his granny, jeering over his hair, this that the other.

Its clear Stephen Ireland is a weird chap, with serious senstitive sally tendancies, if not a bit divaish. This is comfirmed by his rather radical lifestyle and choices.

I for one, would completely stop giving my rather small support to the irish team and national footballing in general, if he was brought back.

There is nothing more disrespectful and downright abismal, to turn your back on your country, regardless of your skill or ability.

There are guys who would give their soul to play for their country, but do not have the gifts some of these guys have that would allow them to play.

I lost alot of respect for Ireland as a whole, when the nation cried out for Roy Keanes return, for when the FAI succumbed and got him back.

If Stephen Ireland came back and was allowed back in, I would literally never watch an ireland game again. That might not be much, I'm only one person.

But there can be nothing more disrespectful then what has happend in this situation and Keane before him, and nothing more shameful and make me feel embarassed to be irish within an international footballing community, when we cry to bring them back, cause they can actually hit a 30 foot pass cross field.

Roy Keane didn't walk out on us; he was sent home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Will this thread exist until Ireland retires or what?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

JPA wrote: »
    Well he has retired from international football...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

was just thinking the same myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well he has retired from international football...

Well I meant retires from football. I know he has retired from international football but this thread is going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Well I meant retires from football. I know he has retired from international football but this thread is going strong.

As long as Stephen Ireland can kick a football this will be an issue, like Xavi said we might as well keep it all in the one place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

So did the lads really turn him upside down and use him as a mop?

Advertisement