Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need planning to block up a door?

• 07-10-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

doorways.gif

Our house was many years ago extended with a garage, this was subsequently converted into a granny flat. the garage door was blocked up and a window fitted and the man door was kept. this is the door marked old.

All this was done before we bought the place and planning was all got and sorted.

we want to bring the granny flat into the rest of the house, opening a doorway in the gable wall, marked new.

My question is, can we block up the old doorway without getting planning. the black fuzzy lines is the boundary, so this is not visible from anywhere, so we're not altering the appearance right? (the road is at the top of the pic)

The plan is to make the porch of the granny flat into a walk in wardrobe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

no you dont

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its possible that this alteration can be considered exempted under section 4 . 1. h of planning act 2000

4.—(1) The following shall be exempted developments for the purposes of this Act—

(h) development consisting of the carrying out of works for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any structure, being works which affect only the interior of the structure or which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Am I right in saying that up until now the granny flat was not accessible from inside the house and now it is becoming part of the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sydthebeat wrote: »
    its possible that this alteration can be considered exempted under section 4 . 1. h of planning act 2000

4.—(1) The following shall be exempted developments for the purposes of this Act—

(h) development consisting of the carrying out of works for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any structure, being works which affect only the interior of the structure or which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures;
    This was my first thought, but then I start thinking more like Tom. Strictly speaking, you are merging two units and the work isn't internal to a dwelling per say.

A granny flat is likely a grey area in terms of separate unit.
    Section 5 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Am I right in saying that up until now the granny flat was not accessible from inside the house and now it is becoming part of the house?

You are yes.

it was a garage with no door between the two, but now is a granny flat with no door between the two and now we want to make it into a room.

dunno what it takes for it to be qualified as a granny flat per se, it has a toilet and a room and that's it.

• Advertisement

say it does not need planning permission. I would get your site looked at by a good local AT, regarding design issues and overall feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I dont understand, why?

I'm gonna talk to an engineer on making the new doorway, just to be sure to be sure, but what would an arch tech bring to the job?

If you are happy that you have all the design issues worked out then you won't need one.

Advertisement