Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germinating Acorns

• 07-10-2009 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Having recently acquired approx 20 acorns, I would now like to germinate them and hopefully end up with a few nice oak trees. I have successfully grown ash and sycamore from seed in the past, but never oak. Would anyone here have a step-by-step instruction list for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We collected some in france two years ago... I stuck them in potting compost in a sheltered corner of the garden and let them to themselves, I'd say we got about 75% strike rate... horse chestnut the same, have some more to pot now that you mention it !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭jonny d

Having recently acquired approx 20 acorns, I would now like to germinate them and hopefully end up with a few nice oak trees. I have successfully grown ash and sycamore from seed in the past, but never oak. Would anyone here have a step-by-step instruction list for this?

on a similar vein,does anyone have info on how to save seeds from whitethorn and rowan along with ash and alder.Any ideas and pointers most welcome. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

jonny d wrote: »
    on a similar vein,does anyone have info on how to save seeds from whitethorn and rowan along with ash and alder.Any ideas and pointers most welcome. ;)

Why bother with seeds from whitethorn, when cuttings planted right time of year will get you the same result faster.
    For Ash, just collect the seeds from the branches or indeed the ground in the fall. plant in a bucket or sheltered corner. Keep weeds down, and animals out and you have little saplings in a year.
    No experience with Alder or Rowan, but ame principle should apply as ash.

Rgds

As far as I know rowan and whitethorn seeds take longer to germinate, it may take two winters to break their dormancy or you could try to break it yourself in the fridge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

Regarding the whitethorn, any ideas when's the best time to plant cuttings??

How long and thick should the cuttings be, and how deep should they be planted?? Should they have a lot of leaf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭jonny d

Rujib1 wrote: »
    Why bother with seeds from whitethorn, when cuttings planted right time of year will get you the same result faster.
    For Ash, just collect the seeds from the branches or indeed the ground in the fall. plant in a bucket or sheltered corner. Keep weeds down, and animals out and you have little saplings in a year.
    No experience with Alder or Rowan, but ame principle should apply as ash.

Rgds

any advice regarding whitethorn cuttings and planting most welcome.;) thanks

jonny d wrote: »
    any advice regarding whitethorn cuttings and planting most welcome.;) thanks

Check this thread out...

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about218.html

Advertisement