Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil in rented accommodation

Options
  • 07-10-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im renting a house now, we are here about 2 months, when we moved in the oil tank was pretty much empty, it done us about a month.
    should the landlord fill the oil tank now? Its completely empty and as we just moved in we have feck all cash.

So, should i ask the landlord to fill the tank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Doolittle51

Yea give him a call. And can you ask him to fill my tank too?

Cheers.

Free stuff is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Why would the landlord pay for your oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Mate of mine moved into his house last week, he told them he wouldnt move in till the tank was full, it was filled and he moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Mate of mine moved into his house last week, he told them he wouldnt move in till the tank was full, it was filled and he moved in.

And when he moves out the landlord might expect him to leave a full tank?

How does that apply to you? They are under no obligation to pay for you oil unless they stipulate that heating extra is included with the fee for rent each month.

Maybe your mate had an agreement with the landlord?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ttm wrote: »
    And when he moves out the landlord might expect him to leave a full tank?

Probably not- norm would be for the landlord to fill it again- and deduct the cost from the deposit.

OP- why do you imagine the landlord will give you a free tank of oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

OP- very little hope of Landlord supplying oil unless it is clearly stated in your contract. Heating, ESB, phones even bin charges in some places are not commonly included in the rent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

daviddwyer wrote: »
    even bin charges in some places are not commonly included in the rent

Just out of curiousity- are bin charges ever included? The principle of bin charges is 'the polluter pays'. A landlord is obliged to provide a refuse collection service- they are under no obligation whatsoever to pay for it however......

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How long do you intend to stay there? Check the size of the tank, and get maybe a half-tank, and split the costs amongst yourselves.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity- are bin charges ever included? The principle of bin charges is 'the polluter pays'. A landlord is obliged to provide a refuse collection service- they are under no obligation whatsoever to pay for it however......

You see it sometimes that bins are included in the monthly "rent" figure. Not very often though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

Certainly in apartment complexs (which often includes duplex houses) bin charges are often included.... the Landlord paysvia the management company. Have seen a couple of places advertise bin charges included 9although in the current market Landlords are offering all kinds of perks). My brother rents a house in Kildare where bin and sky digital is included.

we just pay rent, everything else we pay ourselves, just wanted to ask here to see if anyone else had heard of it being done.
    Sorry for being a noob at the renting game, first time living out of home, when i heard of my mate getting his oil filled, i thought i might have an opportunity!

oh well, if ya dont ask! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    first time living out of home
    1st Time? Best of Luck with that one then. Ye can't beat the feeling of having your' own independence.
    Even if you still bring home your' socks & jocks to Mammy Darksaga87 every weekend.
    Best of luck with it lad.

Cheers mate. But the missus does that sort of stuff!!!
    (kinda handy as the mothers washer broke down last week!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

No your landlord isnt gonna get you oil! :eek:
    Its the tenants responsibility.
    Your friend might of got a full tank but they'll be expected to leave a full tank when they leave and if they dont it'll be taken out of the deposit.

I wouldnt mind if i could use my deposit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

if there was no agreement (in writing) to leave a full tank behind then the tenant who got the full tank out of the landlord doesn't need to.

Deposit can only be withheld for rent arrears, unpaid bills and damage. Oil doesn't fit into that.

However, filling the oil tank is the tenant's responsibility. The landlord can include a full tank of oil upon signing the lease to sweeten the deal in this economy but he/she is not obliged to do so.

Advertisement