Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More job losses

• 07-10-2009 5:48pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So yet another 150 jobs going in the region :(

With Aer Lingus CEO admitting Shannon Airport is a loss maker does this signal the end of Aer Lingus out of Shannon?? I for one would pray not but the services are no doubt going to skeleton in the very near future.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Anyone else notice the news that Aer Lingus's passenger numbers were up last month, I wonder if that's anything to do with the Shannon-Heathrow route being re-opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Thanks clareman its great to have a positive perspective instead of doom and gloom :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

No worries :)

I really really really dislike Aer Lingus and their constant disregard for Shannon airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

EU don't give two flips tough...

...they pushed Aer Lignus into privatization with their phony crony regulations... it seems one government's meat is another Michael O'Leary's poison... thats the market that is rammed down our throats by the institutions everyday...

...its just like musical chairs, when the music stops somebody is always left out... competition drives the market and look at its great benefits...

... another 600 heads join the dole queue... :(

Ireland has just voted yes to the Lisbon Treaty, thus it has just given the thumbs up to the EU institutions to press ahead with more liberalization of the markets... dumb move considering that these types of regulations have already cost Ireland 1000s of jobs so far...

... Aer Lingus will now move its main base out of Ireland somewhere else in Europe, that just shows you what these open cut throat market acts do to jobs at home.

EU don't give two flips tough...

...they pushed Aer Lignus into privatization with their phony crony regulations... it seems one government's meat is another Michael O'Leary's poison... thats the market that is rammed down our throats by the institutions everyday...

...its just like musical chairs, when the music stops somebody is always left out... competition drives the market and look at its great benefits...

... another 600 heads join the dole queue... :(

Ireland has just voted yes to the Lisbon Treaty, thus it has just given the thumbs up to the EU institutions to press ahead with more liberalization of the markets... dumb move considering that these types of regulations have already cost Ireland 1000s of jobs so far...

... Aer Lingus will now move its main base out of Ireland somewhere else in Europe, that just shows you what these open cut throat market acts do to jobs at home.
    Don't know if you can be blaming Lisbon on all the world's problems, Aer Lingus, like a lot of companies, is a very bloated company with a lot of staff that are there a very long time and have great deals thanks to their unions, thanks to the free market, there is more than 1 operator and people are choosing to go for low cost options, the low cost airlines can cut costs by not serving meals, getting rid of check in people, paying minimum wages, all this other stuff that Aer Lingus just can't do.

I've never flown Aer Lingus to America, I have been to the states over 10 times now, main reason for not using them? Their costs are too high, their times don't suit and most of the time you have to fly out of Dublin or at least have a stop over. I was directly affected by their cutting of the Heathrow route, does it mean that I won't fly them again? No, if work are paying for it I will fly them, nicer seats, pre-approved seats, just generally nicer than Ryanair and Heathrow often suits for where I'm going. If I'm paying for it myself, I'll save the 50 euros and fly into Stansted and put up with the hardship for an hour.

Whereas I can understand some of the logistic issues Aer Lingus have which means they can't use the Shannon pre-clearance, I can't understand why they can't use it sometimes, it's a wonderful addition, but it shows how a Dublin-centric company isn't willing to put in a bit of investment to help 1 of the regional airports.

And Drunken, I don't want to drag this into a Lisbon debate, but I think you'd find that there'd be far more than 600 less jobs in Ireland if it wasn't for Europe, the whole "Europe is evil" debate reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Don't know if you can be blaming Lisbon on all the world's problems,

I did not blame Lisbon, I have pointed out that it is EU free market regulation up to now has forced state owned bodies into the stock market, thus driving competition, which causes cost cutting measures to be introduced, thus people losing jobs. Take Eircom as an example, which employed maybe +25000 prior to its now less than 16000 floated.

Lisbon just cranks up this type of Thatcherism further... whats next... you guessed it, our schools and health services... which publicly owned are considered thrones in the sides of free market capatilist thinking... and these services have been in their cross hairs for years now... thats more than likely why the push from Mary Hearney in placing private hospitals next the public ones... smooth transition (thats what the EU does, it takes baby steps in pushing its agenda as it does not want us to go into total shock suddenly)

We could always got for the total Government ran setup, could have total employment (1 person digging holes, another person filling holes), give everyone the same slice of the pie and work it like that.

You used Eircom as an example, did you look to see where all those jobs were lost? Were they the operators who used to manually put through phone calls, Kilkee and Mountshannon were the last places in Ireland upgraded to direct dial numbers, I think about 20 years ago? Were they people who used to give out the weather, now there's a 1550 automated number? Were they people who used to lay the cable? Were they people who used to service phones?

Companies change, they have to, the world has gotten a lot smaller in a very short period of time, I remember people going to London for work and they wouldn't be able to afford to come home, now people go to London for weekends. Things change, the strongest don't necessarly survive, those most capable of changing survive

All of Aer Lingus staff based at Shannon to go? A service from Shannon to New York 3 times a week via Dublin?

So much for the government's stake in the Airline. I wonder if the same fuss will be kicked up over this proposal as it was for when the Heathrow route was going to be axed... I doubt it, as we have now began to see that these announcements are common place and will probobly just accept it.

A call of arms to everyone... protest as much as you did when Aer Lingus tried this before, screw their loss making... this is a piece of infrastructure they are going to be removing from the midwest... if Clare County Council decided to close the Ennis bypass tomorrow becuase they said they could not afford to maintain it, they would just be laughed at... like wise for Aer Lingus, they must be joking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Was there an announcement regarding Aer Lingus in Shannon today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Any factory jobs in Ennis? There was a few on the Gort Road or are they mostly shut by now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement