Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, 1st year arts

Options
  • 07-10-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hey, would really appreciate someones help on this. I'm currently studying a broad enough range in 1st year, 4 subject (history, politics, economics, psychology). Problem is I'm finding economics really hard, I didn't do it fore the leaving and I'm starting to think that it really just isn't for me. I continued with it till now as I was waiting for leaving rechecks and thought I might be moving into commerce where I'd be obliged to do it!
    Anyway this moves me onto my question, now that I have failed to get what I needed in rechecks, is there any way for me to drop economics at this stage of the the year? I'm really doubting my ability to pass it (am doing just micro and macro, one in each semester), who would I go to in the university to see if I could take up an extra module in say history next semester and drop at least one of the economics modules I'm doing? Or does anyone know if this is even possible after registration has ended? Was lookin around the website but couldnt really see who I should talk to!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

With regard to dropping modules here and there i'm not so sure. But in regard to micro and macro in first year, i'm failing to understand what the problem is??? Im a third year in economics so i have done them obviously. I think you'll be fine with them, macro is very light reading not too technical at all and micro just takes a little reading and is totally manageable for anyone i reckon not even mathsy people. have you done the midterms yet? or are they soon? I would advise maybe getting a grind in micro although the Principles of Economics book explains the required concepts very well for both micro and macro.

I wouldn't get too disheartened stick with them and use the lecturers whenever you don't understand anything?

btw As a matter of interest what kinds of things are you finding hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I dont know anything about dropping it but I do know that the exams are far far easier than the way they present the material in lectures.

Stick at it. Look over the past exam papers, they are fairly repetitive and the concepts are explained very well in the book (albeit a bit long).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Speak to the Programme Office

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

chave wrote: »
    With regard to dropping modules here and there i'm not so sure. But in regard to micro and macro in first year, i'm failing to understand what the problem is??? Im a third year in economics so i have done them obviously. I think you'll be fine with them, macro is very light reading not too technical at all and micro just takes a little reading and is totally manageable for anyone i reckon not even mathsy people. have you done the midterms yet? or are they soon? I would advise maybe getting a grind in micro although the Principles of Economics book explains the required concepts very well for both micro and macro.

I wouldn't get too disheartened stick with them and use the lecturers whenever you don't understand anything?

btw As a matter of interest what kinds of things are you finding hard?

It's hard to explain, but I've found that economics just requires a different kind of thinking to the type I've always used, dunno if that makes any sense to you... but i'll slowly work my way through a concept and by the time I'm near the end I'll need to go back and think it over again in my head and I'll keep getting confused with it.
    I'm not like this in subjects like history and politics where I can expand and reach conclusions from a given text very easily.
    Our midterm was cancelled but we're still able to do it on blackboard so I think I'll give it a go and see how I fare!

Jev/N; Just wondering is that a General Arts programme office or a more specific Economics one.. How do I get in touch with them?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Contact the Arts Programme Office (see below) and maybe see the Student Advisers is necessary
    Contact

UCD Arts, Celtic Studies and Human Sciences Programme Office,
    Newman Building (Ground Floor),
    University College Dublin,
    Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland

Opening Hours
    Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
    9.30 pm - 12.45 pm

Wednesday
    2.00 pm - 4.45 pm

Late opening for BA Part-time (evening) students:
    5.30 pm - 6.30 pm every Wednesday during term time

E-mail:
    ba@ucd.ie
    bsocsc@ucd.ie
    bapartime@ucd.ie

Student Adviser

(Arts and Celtic Studies):
    Aisling O’Grady
    Tel: + 353 1 716 8349

(Human Sciences):
    Kieran Moloney
    Tel: + 353 1 716 8366

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Thanks a lot, I'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Good advice by people. I'd echo chave, stick it out. You can drop it at the end of the year. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Seems like similar problem for me when I was in 1st year. Had to stick it out, did literally the bare minimum, then dropped it, so could do History & Sociology as my majors instead. If you really want, try to change the subjects when registration re-opens in November/December. You may not be able to drop macro or micro though, so if thats the case, your just going to have to ride it out. Least its mathsy, if you repeat enough questions, you'll be fine for exams, even if you don't fully understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

You can change modules after christmas...

But MCQs should be too hard to pass.

And besides which, how well you do in first year doesn't count towards your entire degree (unless you want to swap to single subject honours)

Advertisement