Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing Live

Options
  • 07-10-2009 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hey guys ive been making music on reason for bout a year now and really want to take it to a live setting. Its got kind of an electro -house feel. Basically i need advice on how i'd play/Dj my music live and with what sort of equipment, harware or software, mixers etc...

I understand its probably annoying explaining stuff like this to complete noobs but would really appreciate any advice at all:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Well, you could could copy whole songs, their instruments into one reason session (it becomes massive, but hardly any load on the cpu) - and then have another instance of reason open to play / jam over the top of your 'set'
    I've done hour long sets with many tracks and no problems running it.

Another option would be to have 2 instances of reason open and then assign alternate tracks in your set to different outputs - you'd need a DJ friendly soundcard/breakout box so you can cue up as per a DJ would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

just get ableton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

jtsuited wrote: »
    just get ableton.

True. Ableton is a smashing piece of kit for mixing, and is being supported by some very nice dedicated controllers...that also tend to come with a copy of Ableton.

Which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Dragan wrote: »
    True. Ableton is a smashing piece of kit for mixing, and is being supported by some very nice dedicated controllers...that also tend to come with a copy of Ableton.

Which is nice.

come with a copy of Ableton Lite?

empirix wrote: »
    come with a copy of Ableton Lite?

As far as i am aware, it depends on the product?

I know the Launch Pad will come with a cut down version, specifically for the pad, with all the midi already mapped, which is nice.

I got a copy of Ableton 7 (full edition) with my BCR.

• Advertisement

bcr? as in bcr 2000? theres no way you got a full version with that, it retails about 200 euro while ableton is about 450, surely you must of got Ableton Le? doesn't make sense!

bcr? as in bcr 2000? theres no way you got a full version with that, it retails about 200 euro while ableton is about 450, surely you must of got Ableton Le? doesn't make sense!

Nope, full version came taped to the side of the box for me.

I'll ring the lads at Thomann and see what is what.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Nope, full version came taped to the side of the box for me.

I'll ring the lads at Thomann and see what is what.

jaysus, that's a mistake and a half. Do not ring thomann!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

Do check your credit card bill though!!

Too late! Gave them a shout yesterday and yes, they ****ed up my order!

Awesome. Two similar orders ( the difference being Ableton Live 8 ) were packaged wrong and sent to the wrong addresses, so some poor bugger out there only got the BCR, and no Live 8 that he had payed for.

Apparently, they were aware, but it was their fault, so they won't charge me. (besides the fact that is is illegal to back charge someone in this manner ).

Personally, i think that has more to do with the stupid money i have spent with them...and the fact that they hope more is coming.

Sneaky ****ers. They'll be disappointed when my next order is a mere 150eu.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Too late! Gave them a shout yesterday and yes, they ****ed up my order!

Awesome. Two similar orders ( the difference being Ableton Live 8 ) were packaged wrong and sent to the wrong addresses, so some poor bugger out there only got the BCR, and no Live 8 that he had payed for.

Apparently, they were aware, but it was their fault, so they won't charge me. (besides the fact that is is illegal to back charge someone in this manner ).

Personally, i think that has more to do with the stupid money i have spent with them...and the fact that they hope more is coming.

Sneaky ****ers. They'll be disappointed when my next order is a mere 150eu.

:pac:

you jammy git :)
    Whats your definition of stupid money? heres a portion of stupid money i spent with them and they only gave me a free tshirt promoting themselves!!! - pair of Genelec 8020's, Vermona Perfourmer, Alesis Andromeda, i mainly use DV now though

you jammy git :)
    Whats your definition of stupid money? heres a portion of stupid money i spent with them and they only gave me a free tshirt promoting themselves!!! - pair of Genelec 8020's, Vermona Perfourmer, Alesis Andromeda, i mainly use DV now though

Over the past 8 to 9 months, probably just on 20,000.

Thankfully, not all of that was for me though. I always end up ordering stuff for other people, because they can't get credit cards the slackers.

The interesting questions is how they come up with the money to buy all that ****.

And not to go off-topic, how do you find the Andromeda?

Over the past 8 to 9 months, probably just on 20,000.

Thankfully, not all of that was for me though. I always end up ordering stuff for other people, because they can't get credit cards the slackers.

The interesting questions is how they come up with the money to buy all that ****.

And not to go off-topic, how do you find the Andromeda?
    Best synth in the world!!! Very complex though. 20,000 and you buy a bcr 2000? - recession!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

In fairness the bcr is a bargain, all that control for less than €200, nothing comes close
    in the same price range. So good i bought two.
    Saying that i tookone of mine to pieces today and attacked it with a soldering iron, its behaving now, i must have bashed it once too often, had broken a solder joint on an earthing plate.

Advertisement