Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It begins - Manchester City unrest

• 07-10-2009 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1007/mancity.html

Martin Petrov has come out publicly to express his unhappiness with being stuck on the bench. Think there's going to be a lot more of this in the coming months players (and egos) like Bellamy, Adebayor, Tevez, Robinho, Santa Cruz and Petrov himself aren't going to be content with sitting on the bench. I'd also have doubts as to whether or not Mark Hughes has the experience to handle these kind of egos unhappiness. The City strikers aren't exactly the shy, retiring types.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

time to sit back and read the newspapers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Sell him in January and he will get his game elsewhere. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

we all knew Hughes success with City would be defined by how well he deals with the individual egos. I thought it'd be nearer Christmas when we'd see what he's up against, but it looks like he'll have his work cut out all season now.

Still very early days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Dont think there is anything new in this. He is angling for his move to Spurs in January which probably would have gone threw if Spurs had declared their interest earlier in the Summer.

Personally I think a good City side is good for the Premiership. That said I hope we take six points of them this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Professional football player wants to play more shocker :eek:

zab was saying the same things a few weeks ago, and now hes playing more. not a big deal imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's hilarious, given the fact City have only lost once this season to 'you know who' in 'you know what' circumstances.

the Lord help us all if they somehow lose two on the trot :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

we all knew Hughes success with City would be defined by how well he deals with the individual egos. I thought it'd be nearer Christmas when we'd see what he's up against, but it looks like he'll have his work cut out all season now.

Still very early days though.

Indeed.

But I certainly didn't expect it to begin so early. Somehow I get the feeling there's plenty more where that came from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No player is happy when they are on the bench, nobody would actually like to have a steve mcmanaman in their teams squad would they?

if i was a city fan i would be not too bothered by this to be honest, he is a player who has been deemed surplus to requirements (city had agreed to sell him) and who doesnt feature in the long term future. they wont hav too many problems till all of that mucho ego strike force are all fit and able to play on a regular basis!

I find the last part of it very humourous though

he held up the back of his shirt as he ran toward the dug out because his wife forgot his number lol :D

outstanding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in fairness, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You boys are getting ahead of yourself. Just as with half the nonsense ye post about Liverpool, your desire to see them fail results in you arriving at incorrect conclusions far too quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol we have a hungry player wanting to contribute more to the masterplan and this is somehow a bad thing? This is great. We have a strong squad where everyone wants to be involved. It was harsh on Petrov not to get any game time on Monday, and I'd have had him on instead of Santa Cruz, but that's the way it goes. De Jong said the same things when he didn't start the first two games. He didn't want out, he just wanted to play like any professional. Same goes for Martin. Not surprised this was pounced upon though, just shocked that it took eight weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

petrov shouldnt be starting for city IMO, sell him in january if he wants to go. As others have mentioned, the real problems will come when the forwards that arent playing start to get restless. It will be worse if city arent in/near the top 4 by then

Headshot wrote: »
    time to sit back and read the newspapers ;)

or time to laugh at people believing the tabloid rags !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

tbh, Petrov isn't exactly going to be much of an important player for City so even if he is unhappy, until one of their more important players come out with something a bit more substantial than this I wont be getting my hopes up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Petrov was excellent against West Ham.

Hughes should have involved him some way against Villa.

A player spouting he wants action but has nothing to back it up with is one thing, Petrov has 3 assists and a goal in his last 3 games, Hughes will have to manage his players better or this thing will become more frequent and more fierce in the future.

Boggles wrote: »
    Petrov was excellent against West Ham.

Hughes should have involved him some way against Villa.

A player spouting he wants action but has nothing to back it up with is one thing, Petrov has 3 assists and a goal in his last 3 games, Hughes will have to manage his players better or this thing will become more frequent and more fierce in the future.

Petrov has also only just returned to full fitness after a year out of the game with a serious injury. Yes he has done well over the past three games but he isn't part of our strongest eleven. If he isn't happy with that then, while understandable, that's the way it goes. Hughes is managing the players just fine right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1007/mancity.html

Martin Petrov has come out publicly to express his unhappiness with being stuck on the bench. Think there's going to be a lot more of this in the coming months players (and egos) like Bellamy, Adebayor, Tevez, Robinho, Santa Cruz and Petrov himself aren't going to be content with sitting on the bench. I'd also have doubts as to whether or not Mark Hughes has the experience to handle these kind of egos unhappiness. The City strikers aren't exactly the shy, retiring types.

Bellamy has started the last three games IIRC. Adebayor has no choice but to sit out the next few games due to his ban and all.
    Tevez AFAIK has started every match thus far. Again correct me if I'm wrong. Robinho is injured as was Santa Cruz.

Petrov on the other hand is just back from injury.

OP you've gotta stop getting your sources from RTE. It's probably Bill O Herihly (sp?) who is writing all this tripe and we all know that he's a glutton for tabloid BS.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Bellamy has started the last three games IIRC. Adebayor has no choice but to sit out the next few games due to his ban and all.
    Tevez AFAIK has started every match thus far. Again correct me if I'm wrong. Robinho is injured as was Santa Cruz.

Petrov on the other hand is just back from injury.

OP you've gotta stop getting your sources from RTE. It's probably Bill O Herihly (sp?) who is writing all this tripe and we all know that he's a glutton for tabloid BS.

Should have gone to specsavers mate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

kryogen wrote: »
    Should have gone to specsavers mate ;)

Why? I can see clearly past the media BS perfectly fine as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

In December we've got a ridiculous run of games- 19th, 23rd, 26th, 28th. Games start to come thick and fast at that time of the year so Martin will have plenty of opportunities yet. Villa last week just wasn't the right kind of game for him.

The lack of protection he gives to his full back is pretty appalling. We'd have been playing with ten men when not on the attack, as we did last season when we lost 4-2, so Bellamy was the much more sensible choice.

Hughes now has the luxury of picking different players for different scenarios. At times last season it was square pegs in round holes whereas now we can use Bellamy away at tough grounds, Petrov at home against the supposed 'cannon fodder', Robinho roaming or wide dependent on the opposition, Lescott at full back when playing physical sides to add height defensively, etc. etc. etc. So many options. Martin should realise this and so realise that he has a part to play. He could in fact become crucial, it's a funny old game.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Why? I can see clearly past the media BS perfectly fine as it is.

lol you didnt read the guy you quoteds post very well though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I'm sure City fans aren't overly concerned about this. I'd be more interested in the reactions of Adebayor, Bellamy or Robinho if they're given a spell on the sidelines.

Thought this was brilliant -

this seemed a logical place to put this story, even though he's not officially caused any unrest.
    Sky Sports wrote: »
    Robinho has admitted that he would love to play for Barcelona but at present he is yet to receive an offer.

The Brazilian only signed for Manchester City last year for a record £32million from Real Madrid but his brief stay at Eastlands has been blighted by constant rumours linking him with a move away from Manchester.

Speculation has been widespread recently with Barca manager Pep Guardiola reportedly stating he has wanted to sign the 25-year-old ever since he took charge at Camp Nou.

The rumours suggest that the Spanish champions are ready to take the forward initially on loan in January before making the deal permanent in the summer.

"Of course I would like to play for Barca. Who would not? We could have so much fun," he told El Mundo Deportivo.

"It would be a pleasure to play alongside (Lionel) Messi, my compatriot Dani Alves Xavi, (Andres) Iniesta, (Zlatan) Ibrahimovic, with all of them.

"They're a great team. I played against them and know their quality. But right now I can only do it on the PlayStation.

"It is a pleasure to watch Barca play. They look like the best Brazilian team with the way that they use the ball. Pep Guardiola's team is truly spectacular."

Honour and pride

Robinho insists that until an official bid is made he will remain completely committed to City while manager Mark Hughes will want to keep hold of a player that has already become a firm fans' favourite amongst City supporters.

"It is an honour that a coach like him (Guardiola) speaks well of Robinho and values me as much as I have read he does. It fills my heart with pride," he added.

"But now is not a question of whether there is a loan move or I sign in the winter market or in the summer.

"It is a question of sitting down and talking when there is a serious and concrete proposal and as I have said before I have not personally received that.

"Now would not be the right time to say things that could be badly interpreted here or there.

"I have a contract with City and being the professional that I am, I am dedicated to them."

no tongue in cheek here honestly, but at least he's honest.

i personally don't like it when players make these sorts of things so public, as it shows a lack of respect to those who are currently employing you.

it's not as if he's saying anything we didn't already assume to be true though.

at the very least, he does say he's committed until an offer comes in. i know it's just words, but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Selling him would be a good move from City IMO.

JPA wrote: »
    Selling him would be a good move from City IMO.

to be honest, i tend to think so too.

i know he's been very good for City, but the team has been just fine without him, and they have tons of options going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't think he's looked happy this year and with Elano gone (his best man at his wedding) he seems a lonely figure in the stands. Maybe I'm reading far too much into it but he never looks happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There's no mention of his city contract in that, should it not be a consideration before making such comments, assuming they are accurate?

Honour and pride

Robinho insists that until an official bid is made he will remain completely committed to City

That's big of him, Honour and pride, that has to be a joke.

The Muppet wrote: »
    There's no mention of his city contract in that, should it not be a consideration before making such comments, assuming they are accurate?

he does mention he has a contract with City at the end, to be fair.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    he does mention he has a contract with City at the end, to be fair.

He acknowledges having one all right, there's nothing about honouring it, they way that reads if Baca make a bid he's off irrespective of his contract or City's wishes. They should tell him they will stick him in the reserves for the rest of his contract if he doesn't cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Sell him on be f*cked, he actually unbalances their team and has been very underwhelming for the money he cost. I'd actually forgotten he was at City this season considering how they've played without him this year!

He acknowledges having one all right, there's nothing about honouring it, they way that reads if Baca make a bid he's off irrespective of his City contract. They should tell him they will stick him in the reserves for the rest of his contract if he doesn't cop on.

i agree, to an extent.

but, and i'm asking this honestly, and i'm just asking this once because i don't want this dragged off topic, did you have the strong line when ronaldo was courting Madrid.

a few utd fans did, and fair play to them, but player power rules most of the time these days.

That's big of him, Honour and pride, that has to be a joke.

i'm pretty sure that's in reference to how he feels at Barca's interest.

If Robinho wants to go he can. We're thankfully in the position that if one player leaves he can be replaced.

However, the word on the street is that the owner wants him to stay as it would be a sign of weakness to sell to a team we ultimately want to challenge.

All I know is that he's been training hard indoors lately and will rejoin the squad for full training in the next week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

It begins...

dramaqueenery

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    i agree, to an extent.

but, and i'm asking this honestly, and i'm just asking this once because i don't want this dragged off topic, did you have the strong line when ronaldo was courting Madrid.

a few utd fans did, and fair play to them, but player power rules most of the time these days.

NP with the question, I'd ask it if the shoe was on the other foot.

I took the same line with Madrid/Ronaldo the first year, this year I was glad to see him gone after all his comments denying any move.

It's probably an unrealistic stance to take with the sums involved with transfers but I would like to see someone taking a stance against the merceneries in the game. City may well be in a position to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Wouldnt go to xavi's extent of saying that he is 'hungry' to contribute to the man city 'masterplan' but there is always gona be competition for places in big clubs he just needs to stop blabbering to papers, put more effort into training and maybe he will get chances to prove himself on the field then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

curry-muff wrote: »
    Wouldnt go to xavi's extent of saying that he is 'hungry' to contribute to the man city 'masterplan' but there is always gona be competition for places in big clubs he just needs to stop blabbering to papers, put more effort into training and maybe he will get chances to prove himself on the field then

And how often have you been to one of our training sessions?

He does work hard in training believe it or not, as do all the players. Hughes and his coaches wouldn't have it any other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

He acknowledges having one all right, there's nothing about honouring it, they way that reads if Baca make a bid he's off irrespective of his contract or City's wishes. They should tell him they will stick him in the reserves for the rest of his contract if he doesn't cop on.

You would want to have a word with Arsene Wenger. Fabregas, Sagna and Gallas to name the first 3 that come to my head would be in the reserves.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live_feed/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/10/16/SOCCER_Man_City_Robinho.html&ID=
    HUGHES: ROBINHO HERE TO STAY

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes is adamant Robinho has a long-term future at Eastlands.

The Brazilian forward, currently sidelined with a stress fracture of the ankle, has been linked with a move to Barcelona.

However, Hughes is intent on hanging on to £32.5million buy from Real Madrid.

Hughes said: "There is always speculation and noise surrounding Robinho. That has been the case since he came to the club.

"He is a great guy. We are not in the process of taking outstanding players out of the team.

"We want to complement the outstanding players at the club. We are looking to build, not dismantle."

Robinho will again be sidelined for the Barclays Premier League match against Wigan on Sunday at the DW Stadium.

But he could make his comeback in the Carling Cup match against Scunthorpe in a fortnight.

Hughes said Robinho is anxious to return and added: "The only frustration he has at the moment is that he is not fit and well.

"I hope that will be resolved in the next week to 10 days, and he will be back on the pitch."

Good enough for me at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

not sure where exactly he is going to get a game at barca the way they are playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

rossie1977 wrote: »
    not sure where exactly he is going to get a game at barca the way they are playing
    Isn't Henry supposed to be going?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

rossie1977 wrote: »

not sure if he should get a game at City when he gets fit tbh with the way Petrov is playing atm, with Barca in mind perhaps a long term replacement for Henry i guess

If he wants to go then fair enough, but he should remember who bailed him out when no one wanted him from Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Col MCFC wrote: »
    And how often have you been to one of our training sessions?

He does work hard in training believe it or not, as do all the players. Hughes and his coaches wouldn't have it any other way.

You completely missed my point man, im as happy as the next man to see petrov playing well at the minute he is a player ive always admired despite him playing for man city, he has determination, what i was saying is that he shouldnt be crying to the media, he should be letting his football do the talking, which he did of course get around to eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If he wants to go then fair enough, but he should remember who bailed him out when no one wanted him from Madrid.

He probably thinks it was Chelsea. ;)

Advertisement