Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loans for medical

Options
  • 07-10-2009 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Well, just tried to a top up on a loan with BOI, loan was almost paid off, and i wanted to get a loan for medical purposes. Nothing against docs here, or meds here - but lived in US for 20 years, worked for docs there, and had 4 kids there. Was in hospital here with a family member, and been to docs here with kids. - No comparision!!! Enuff said on that - pop u a couple of antibiotics, - etc they haven't a clue! Anyway, not being one to go to docs, haven't been since the move 5 years ago, and have a theory on what is wrong. Wanted to fly to NY to my old medical in Fishkill, made the bank aware of that, was going to get mamo, full physic, etc done, and confirm whether prolapse of uterus, or what is going wrong, and the best way forward. Feeling pretty bad, but I try to keep cheerful for the family and act like I'm ok. ~(tubal lig 8 almost 9 years ago)Doc said things were tilted on the innards 5 years ago, and to be careful - haah - !

Anyway, got turned down for the loan, and have asked via 365 phone, and email and written letter to the branch, that they let me know in writing that they were aware that the loan for which I got turned down for was for medical purposes. Also asked for a recording of the conversation. If anything should happen to me - what can my family do? Was thinking of sending it on to the politicians, the media etc.
    I don't want to go back to Provident!
    I know our credit sucks, but it was for medical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Sorry about your situation op.

Re the bank refusing the loan.
    No matter the situation with you the bank will lend based at 99% of history and ability to repay. 1% at your personal situation.
    The thing is the bank chose's who it lends to. The banks responsibility is to lend based on the persons ability to repay. (I know they have not)

As i said before to you in a previous thread money lender's is not the option. Esp if your borrowing a large amount as you will probably be paying it back for the rest of your life.

I know you want to go to America but what are the cost's in Ireland vs the US?
    I would have thought going there would be a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm pretty sure we had this discussion before with you - the banks are not obliged to lend to you. Whether for medical procedures, house or cuddly toys - the reason doesn't have a lot to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Graffogefarms

issue is money - or lack of. We are about a year or less from having everything but the mortgage paid off, BUT - I am having medical problems, I refuse to go to a doctor here - I have an idea what is is and would prefer my own doctor. My theory is prolapsed uterus, - not too serious though -yet. Took me awhile even in the US to find one that I trusted and was comfortable enough. But it is in the US, not here. I have seen the medical system here with family members. I like to interview the docs before I decide. But as far as the loan - there is more than one way to skin a cat isn't there? What is lacking here in Ireland is competition in the financial sector.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

BUT - I am having medical problems, I refuse to go to a doctor here - I have an idea what is is and would prefer my own doctor. My theory is prolapsed uterus, - not too serious though -yet.

I'm sorry, but if you're sick you need to go to a doctor. How bad does it have to get before you'll take a chance on an Irish doctor? Have you VHI or the like? Could you go private? I think you're just being fussy here, I know they say your health is your wealth, but TBH this is ridiculous. Having lived in Australia, I found the healthcare system there to be fantastic, however when I needed surgery last year I didn't go looking for money to hop on a plane to go back. I went to a good Irish doctor and got it sorted. I have health insurance, so had it taken care of privately.
    What is lacking here in Ireland is competition in the financial sector.
    I can tell you here and now, there's plenty of competition in the Irish financial sector. The banks are doing all they can to get business at the moment. As I said to you in the other thread, it's not the banks job to care about your personal circumstances, once you're a good credit risk on paper, then they'll lend. If they won't lend, then clearly you're not. Banks aren't charities, they're not obliged to lend to you because you're sick, relatives are sick etc. The stricter lending criteria is there for a reason. I'm sure you're aware that a lot of the problems this country is facing at the moment were contributed to by banks lending money to people who weren't really able to pay it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Graffogefarms

I realize that the bank is not under any obligation. I also know that if I can stick it out 6 more months or so, I'll be ok and able to do what I want. As far as the docs here, had a couple of times with the kids before we moved. We were on hols and my daughter got seriously ill, brought to doc - "oh its just a tummy bug" . I knew better, and got it confirmed when we got back. - she picked up Cryptosporidium. There are a couple of other examples with my kids, which I won't go into. But in my experience, - no good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

If you have private medical insurance in Ireland, Hibernian Aviva Health and some policies from Quinn Healthcare and VHI will cover overseas procedures up to level of cost here in Ireland or similar procedure if not available yet in this country.Pre approval is needed and they don't pay for the travel to and from or accommodation so that might help.

Advertisement