Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO refund from argos

Options
  • 07-10-2009 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

i bought a belkin G+usb adapter in argos last april and the other day it stopped working, i tested it on three different pc's to rule out my desktop before bringing it back to argos today.

i went to customer services who are usualy quite good and explained how it had stopped working and was immediately told that as it was gone past the 30days they did not have to do anything but i should contact belkin for repair or replacement.

i told the woman at the desk that she was mistaken as the 30day period only refers to "change of mind" returns and my product was faulty, she went on about the warrenty being with belkin and how they dont repair things and then got a manager who told me as it was no longer available they could not replace it but would only give a credit note to the same value. i declined the credit note and as this was all they were offering i told them i would get in touch with head office and let them handle it.

when i was looking on the argos website i came across this page
    http://www.argos.ie/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm
    What if there's a fault with the product?

We've made it easier!

* If you bring it back to us within 30 days with your proof of purchase*, we'll give you a replacement or a refund.
    * If you've had the product for up to 1 year, we'll repair it or, if that's not possible, give you a replacement or, if that's not possible, a refund.

Please note that all large kitchen appliances are excluded from our 30 day moneyback guarantee, but if your item develops a fault within 30 days call us on 0044 845 6400800 and one of our advisors will assist you with your problem. If faulty and if it cannot be repaired we will arrange a replacement free of charge or you can opt for a refund.

This doesn't affect your statutory rights.
    is there anything more to say apart from i have now emailed argos uk and asked them to investigate this for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

You are entitled to have the retailer deal with this. They may choose to repair or replace, rather than refund, but that's up to them.

However, in some cases, all they'll do is send the item off on your belalf, in which case you'd be better off dealing with Belkin yourself, but that's your choice, not Argos'.

The credit note was a good option they didn't have to offer. It lets you get an equivalent product at an equivalent price, since this one is discontinued. They could just as easily insist on sending it off for repair.

(In my experience, you should get a replacement in this circumstance. Try a different store)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

foggy_lad, I thought you were and expert in these matters :cool:. If you can take on 3 then argos with written terms and conditions should be no problem.

Normally I'd say take the credit note (and remenber to use it) but in this case as there website says
    If you've had the product for up to 1 year, we'll repair it or, if that's not possible, give you a replacement or, if that's not possible, a refund.
    then no reason not to ask for and expect a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Belkin offer a "lifetime" guarantee on their products. Just contact Belkin directly and they'll look after you

I bought a USB adapter before and it didn't work, so I just contacted them with the details and they sent out a new one to me.

It is upto the retailer what they do, repair, replace or refund and they were being generous to offer you the credit note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Would that be 2 out of 3 posters that didn't bother to read the original post?
    If you've had the product for up to 1 year, we'll repair it or, if that's not possible, give you a replacement or, if that's not possible, a refund.

If Argos want to gain business by giving generous terms and conditions surely they expect people to make use of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

This post has been deleted.

They have accepting responsibility for it by offering the credit note, which can be used to buy something else from the shop. As I said in my post, all the OP has to do is to contact Belkin and they will give him a replacement, he could always ask Argos to do this but it would take longer that way.

Warrnties etc only cover manufacturing defects and as the product is almost 7 months old, the product could have been damaged by the user through misuse or through damage from the power supply through the USB connection.

As I have stated before it is actually upto the retailer and not the customer which method is offered either repair, replacement or refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jahalpin wrote: »
    They have accepting responsibility for it by offering the credit note, which can be used to buy something else from the shop. As I said in my post, all the OP has to do is to contact Belkin and they will give him a replacement, he could always ask Argos to do this but it would take longer that way.

Warrnties etc only cover manufacturing defects and as the product is almost 7 months old, the product could have been damaged by the user through misuse or through damage from the power supply through the USB connection.

also their gift cards expire after a year and by refusing me a refund they are trying to stop me into going somewhere for an adapter forcing me to buy an end of life reject from them!

As I have stated before it is actually upto the retailer and not the customer which method is offered either repair, replacement or refund.
    i asked for them to repair it and they refused stating thet they do not repair things! i then asked for a replacement but they refused and told me this item is discontinued and as there is no other similarly priced adapters available with the same specs i would not have any reason to use any credit note they offered! so i asked for a refund which they point blank refused!

they are ignoring their own terms which i have posted above and are also trying to deny me redress by saying that i am only entitled to a credit note when they are unable to repair or replace. i am entitled to a refund now as they have refused both other options open to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They should be offering a full refund if they can't replace or repair. A credit note is not sufficient in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i asked for them to repair it and they refused stating thet they do not repair things! i then asked for a replacement but they refused and told me this item is discontinued and as there is no other similarly priced adapters available with the same specs i would not have any reason to use any credit note they offered! so i asked for a refund which they point blank refused!

they are ignoring their own terms which i have posted above and are also trying to deny me redress by saying that i am only entitled to a credit note when they are unable to repair or replace. i am entitled to a refund now as they have refused both other options open to them.

There is no reason to accept a credit note; consumer protection law is very clear on this, you are entitled to either a repair, replacement or refund. If Argos cannot fulfill the first two they must offer you the latter. A credit note is not a refund so you can refuse it and demand your money back if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dudara wrote: »
    They should be offering a full refund if they can't replace or repair. A credit note is not sufficient in this situation.
    +1
    I am surprised at argos, I always valued them for their refund policies, I am surprised they have no alternative.

• Advertisement

Maybe i'm getting confused here, but if you purchased it last April, then isn't it five months over the year's warranty (Seen as it's October now)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Maybe i'm getting confused here, but if you purchased it last April, then isn't it five months over the year's warranty (Seen as it's October now)?
    Is it just me that assumes when someone says "last x" that they mean the last time it past? i.e. Last Tuesday - actually means 2 days ago.

The person in the shop is talking sh'ite. OP have you rang the number on the website?

it means there is 5-6 months left on the manufacturers warranty,

the latest from argos uk is they were in contact with the store and got a different story about what happened in store. the manager is saying she offered to take the adapter for what argos call 24hour testing but this did not happen because i would have happily agreed to that as maybe then i would have got a replacement or refund a bit faster!

i an now going to bring the adapter back to the store(in perfect condition) for this so-called testing and let argos do what they want with it as it has been tested in three pc's here with three different operating systems and will not work.

if they get it working i will be delighted but i just cant see it happening. as for their own terms for refunding faulty items i do understand they must have some way to examine goods that are returned for customer/accidental damage but this item is unmarked and in perfect condition having sat on top of my pc for the last 6months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

The store doens't have the resources to test the item, short of someone bringing in a home laptop. My suggestion: try to return it to a different store.

am going to go back to the store with it tomorrow or monday as advised by argos uk and might bring laptop with me so they can test it there and then:)

just to update on this i got a full refund on this item from argos, there was no apology from them over ignoring their own proceduires for dealing with faulty goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Nice to see they eventually fulfilled their legal obligation to you but it is a pity they didn't see fit to apologise for their confusion (assuming it was the store who refunded you not HQ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bh988

do u shop in argos alot???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Don't want to highjack this thread but didn't feel the need for a new one about argos. What's with the argos.ie website? I keep getting sent to the UK site with sterling prices. The only way to get to it is by going to store locator and click on the irish link there. Didn't Argos used to have an Irish site minus a few electrical items?

Okay the main point of my post is the pricing. I was in store an picked up there Christmas 2009 catalogue. Saw a worx drill (711/3017) for €109.99. Then I go to the Irish website and it says its €99.99. They've jacked up the price by €10 euro to make up for there "free" €10 voucher when you spend over €100. To make matters worse the same drill works out at about €75 in Argos uk. Same old BS for irish consumers.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

recyclebin wrote: »
    Don't want to highjack this thread but didn't feel the need for a new one about argos. What's with the argos.ie website? I keep getting sent to the UK site with sterling prices. The only way to get to it is by going to store locator and click on the irish link there. Didn't Argos used to have an Irish site minus a few electrical items?

Okay the main point of my post is the pricing. I was in store an picked up there Christmas 2009 catalogue. Saw a worx drill (711/3017) for €109.99. Then I go to the Irish website and it says its €99.99. They've jacked up the price by €10 euro to make up for there "free" €10 voucher when you spend over €100. To make matters worse the same drill works out at about €75 in Argos uk. Same old BS for irish consumers.
    Check instore. Id say the price will be €99.99. The catalogue price is subject to change, up or down.

If you have checked and Im wrong, well, oops. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

The only way to get to it is by going to store locator and click on the irish link there. Didn't Argos used to have an Irish site minus a few electrical items?

When you get directed to the uk site ,just delete replace the .co.uk in the navagation/address bar with .ie and that sorts it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bh988

if you are having that problem with the website and find yourself on the uk site, go to the end of the page and u will see argos.ie listed, then click on that.

the Catalogue only comes like 3 times a year. the next new one will not be out until January. there does be sales and therefore prices cannot be changed in catalogue so there are sale flyers instore. .

the spend over 100 get 10 and spend over 50 get 5 promotion lasts a few days every so often. also alot of the sale items will stay reduced until xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

I got a usd hub, didn't use it fir 8/9 weeks, i plugged it in and it didn't work. Went to Argos no problem and got money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If you call their ring and reserve service and select the appropriate option from the menu they will give you the exact price for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Bought a rug from Argos a week or so ago. Unpacked and was in use. It kept shedding hair so there was fluff everywhere. Kept it for a further week. Hoped it was just coz it was new. Didn't get better.

Brought it back in a used state and got money back. Hopeless quality.

That was from the "Inspire" collection. Keep away from it. It's not worth the money.

Advertisement