Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding Sugar.

• 07-10-2009 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Say if I had an OG of 1.035 and I wanted to get it to 1.045, how much sugar would I add to the batch?

Tried google to try find something that could tell me something like how much say 50g of sugar would boost the SG of a 5 gallon batch.

Any help would be great
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There's Beertools.com, but I don't know if the free online version will let you do this.

It tells me that 600g of table sugar will raise the gravity of a 22L batch from 1.035 to 1.045. Do bear in mind, however, that adding sugar like this is generally not a good idea. You're better using spraymalt.

50g will only get you to 1.036.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thorpe

Im not well up on home brewing but in industry syrup is used to help bring up the gravity, maybe this could be use???
    (Im very much open to correction to all home brewers out there)

One of the reasons industrial beer is largely crap.

Syrup, and indeed sugar, is OK in your palate-thumping strong Belgians. But it's not likely to work well in a 1.045 beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thorpe

Thanks for clarifying that.
    The main reason it is used is that syrup is cheaper than malt and the level used in beer depends on cost of malt at the time plus the final cost of the product to customer.

Only in breweries where the aim is to maximise shareholder profits, and where they can get away with it by not having to list ingredients on packaging. Breweries which have more respect for the drinkers don't substitute malt with cheap syrup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    Only in breweries where the aim is to maximise shareholder profits, and where they can get away with it by not having to list ingredients on packaging. Breweries which have more respect for the drinkers don't substitute malt with cheap syrup.

? WTF, you would also be ruling out whole load of bitters, mild's, Old Peculiar, some Sam Smith beers, sasions

oblivious wrote: »
    ? WTF, you would also be ruling out whole load of bitters, mild's, Old Peculiar, some Sam Smith beers, sasions
    Ruling out? I'm not ruling out anything. I am saying the beer which doesn't list its ingredients is not to be trusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Ruling out? I'm not ruling out anything. I am saying the beer which doesn't list its ingredients is not to be trusted.

A OK then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Ummm, historically, cane sugar was added to beer to bring the gravity up and a lot of commerical breweries use high dextrinous malt specifically so that they can increase the alcohol content by adding suger and keep some body in the beer.

It's an HUGH generalisation to suggest that sugar is only added to beer for profit. There are some quality beers, as I am sure you know, that are brewed on a macro and micro level that use sugar and other adjunts to raise the gravity. Granted, there are a lot of commercial, tastless beer on the market that raise their gravity this way but lets not tar them all , eh?

azzeretti wrote: »
    Ummm, historically, cane sugar was added to beer
    And plenty more besides. Are you under the impression that beer was somehow of higher quality in the olden days?
    It's an HUGH generalisation to suggest that sugar is only added to beer for profit.
    A huger generalisation is that all commercial beer is made for profit. It's still largely true though. The rub, as far as I'm concerned, is that many brewers around these parts point-blank refuse to say what they're giving us to drink. And I reckon they'd be more likely to cut back on the adjuncts if they were forced to tell us what they use.
    There are some quality beers, as I am sure you know, that are brewed on a macro and micro level that use sugar and other adjunts to raise the gravity. Granted, there are a lot of commercial, tastless beer on the market that raise their gravity this way but lets not tar them all , eh?
    I agree -- as I said above, it's standard practice in the likes of Belgian strong ales. But with many session-strength macrobrewed beer, sugary adjuncts is a cost-cutting measure, and one I don't think they'd do if they were obliged to tell us about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement