Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC repair side jobs

• 07-10-2009 6:25pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This topic has been covered before but in these times I am been asked to do more and more for people and not a penny coming my way! In the past I did not mind as I was working but I am out of work now and would not mind the odd few bob thrown my way.

The stuff I do is not high end just virus/spyware removal, setting up pc's/laptops etc. I can be at people houses for an hour as some people really just think computers are invincible :rolleyes:

Anyone else in the same boat and how did you go about getting some financial gains out of it? Or I have got to a stage now where people just think he did it before for free, he will do it again.

*mods please move if not in the right area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I can be at people houses for an hour
    Quick rule of thumb: If you don't know these people well enough to be in their house or talking to them under any other circumstances then charge.
    Or I have got to a stage now where people just think he did it before for free, he will do it again.
    Yeah maybe they will, but how many of these people are really your friends? Or do they get real friendly around the time there's something wrong with their PC?
    I know it's hard to say 'no' to people, but yes and no aren't your only options.

Give them some brief advice on how they could fix their PC given the symptoms... helping them out with a list of things they can try is a nice compromise as long as you don't end up sitting there for an hour with them over the phone, hand-holding them through it.
    You're still helping them and you're not saying 'no', but you're not selling yourself short or being anyone's fool.

It's also a good way of letting them know how much work is involved, once they imagine themselves having to sit there plodding through this shít, they may reconsider asking you to do it for free. You're also implying that you doing this for free isn't on the table, what they'll get for free is what they're getting now.

The added bonus is that you get a chance to show them that you know what you're doing, and that you've got a plan... that you're not just sitting there for an hour randomly bashing your head on the keyboard until something works.
    I think the perception of what level of service they're getting is an important factor.

Really if you want to start charging, then your first step is to stop doing it for free, figure out where you want to draw the line and stick to it.
    Be a "very busy man". ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

*mods please move if not in the right area.

*your in the right area ;)

Advertisement