Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote control virtual desktop

• 07-10-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I want to remotely control a computer without disturbing the original screen. Want to get like a virtual second copy of the desktop to work with.
    pop ups saying "so and so" is connected or using your pc is fine but as long as they can be separate windows.

Computer in question is for running dvds/movies and is running media center. Just want a separate window i can run updates/internet and other micromanagements

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

What have you used already that you didn't find suitable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

You won't be able to do this.

Windows XP / Vista / 7 => One local OR remote session to a system.
    Windows 2003 / 2008 => one local session & two remote sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

in reply to monkeypants.... every remote desktop out there... you share the same desktop. I currently run realvnc but i've used logmein and pcanywhere and some other various controls.
    I want the user to be able to watch tv while i do updates or surf the web. A virtual second monitor would probably even work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

wolfric wrote: »
    in reply to monkeypants.... every remote desktop out there... you share the same desktop. I currently run realvnc but i've used logmein and pcanywhere and some other various controls.
    I want the user to be able to watch tv while i do updates or surf the web. A virtual second monitor would probably even work.

your thinking of console remote sessions.

As said if your using windows xp/vista/7 this is your only option.

If you use "remote desktop" as in mstsc.exe it allows you to remote into a pc and login with what ever logins are available to that pc.

If you use xp/vista/7 then when you login with mstsc you will lock the computers actual screen.
    if you use other server versions of windows then you can use the system without affecting the other user.

what windows version are you trying to connect to?

Advertisement