Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online Psych courses

• 07-10-2009 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend any online Psych courses and are e these actually recognised ? I know theres the Open University but has anyone ever done one of the CMIT ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Grigzz

Had never heard of CMIT before so had a look. It looks like if you wanted this as a basis to then progress onto professional psychology, that this would not be enough. The awards as far as I can see are similar to FETAC level 6, which although may be accredited is not enough to join either PSI (Psychology Society of Ireland) or BPS (British Psychological Society). The minimum standard you would need would be Level 8 which is Hons. Degree. Both the PSI and the BPS have a list of accredited courses on their websites. And there is an agreement between the two societies to allow students of accredited courses in either location to be recognised in the other. This only applies to degree level, post grad. studies are assessed on a case by case basis. If you do pick the Open Uni option, you should check out the criteria for BPS, as you need to pick certain modules to study as part of your degree to be accredited.

If you have no interest in working as a psychologist and are looking to expand your knowledge of the subject the CMIT course could be a good starter. However if you want to consider working as a psychologist you must make sure your course is accredited by either society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Amy Elliott

The useless fetac ones seem to all that are available as night courses where I live. I will check out the PSI and BPS sites
    Thank you very much for all the info
    A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

http://www.icepe.eu/

I've been pointed in the direction of this crowd. Might give one a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

Be cautious of online degrees. USA has many online diploma mills. Make sure degree is APA accredited (American Psychological Assn).

In USA, one of the leaders of accredited online degree programs has been the University of Maryland University College. Link: http://www.umuc.edu/programs/undergrad/psyc/. I'm traditional bricks-and-mortar at UCI. Not online. So you should survey them, and other universities before committing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Amy Elliott

Thanks again for all the feedback , I think OU is probably the best way to go particulary as Iam working full time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement