Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oulart Hill names

Options
  • 07-10-2009 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi,

anyone know the background to the names on the stones on top of Oulart Hill? Tried googling them but found nada. Were they rebel leaders or distinguished "soldiers" during the battle?

Some of the names are Crotty, Devereux, Somers, Dempsey

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'm fairly sure (tho it was eleven years ago when we unveiled it) that the names on the Comemorative stone are ALL the Pikemen that died on Oulart hill on the 27th of may 1798, IIRC Oulart was one of the first engagemants and a relativley small Irish force routed a much larger British force using a craffty combination of Terrain and surprise for an Ambush/Melee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Oulart_Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

That'd make sense actually, I think the rebels only lost 6 of their men during the battle. Thanks a million for that, I've been up there a few times wondering why one of my name sake's is there on stone.

Just as a matter of interest, do you know what research was done for this? I presume the names of the rebels lost is documented somewhere.

lots of vewry extensiveresearch was put into these things by the Comoradh Nocha Hocht people, the only monument that has any bit of of controversy about itself is the one to Kelly in Killane, and anyone who has seen it will know why.

as for the original research, if you ask around in the pub (is it still called trhe Eleysium Fields) someone may know, otherwise all I would do is point you in the direction of Raheen and see if you can find a man called Bill Murray, wonderful old man and a fountain of knowledge on these topics, was our brave and fearless leader on all the commemorative marches and battle reenactments :D also on of the driving forces behind all these stones monuments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm fairly sure (tho it was eleven years ago when we unveiled it) that the names on the Comemorative stone are ALL the Pikemen that died on Oulart hill on the 27th of may 1798, IIRC Oulart was one of the first engagemants and a relativley small Irish force routed a much larger British force using a craffty combination of Terrain and surprise for an Ambush/Melee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Oulart_Hill

And I thought it was just Unionists who were revisionists. :D Even the wikipedia source you quote show the rebel force as being far superior in numbers.

The battle at Oulart was fought between 2,000+ United Irishmen and circa 120 (!) members of the North Cork Militia. The North Corks were commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Foote (one of the 5 survivors on the Crown side). The United Irish forces were drawn up on the top of Oulart Hill and the Crown forces at the bottom. Due to the reluctance of the United Irish forces to come down from their positions the militia advanced uphill against them and perceiving that the rebels were about to take flight rushed forward (apparently without orders) and in the ensuing battle were chased back down the hill and hacked to pieces - save for Colonel Foote and four privates. It is said that the Crown forces believed that a small, well equipped and trained force would always be able to overcome an ill disciplined mob and, indeed, this had earlier proved true near Carnew. However, at Oulart it seems that it was the North Cork Militia that showed indiscipline and it was that that led to their destruction rather than military prowess on behalf of the United Irishmen.

Wikipedia is a very dubious source for backing up arguments and in the case of 1798 books such as "The People's Rising" by Daniel Gahan (1995) and even the biased Sir Richard Musgrave's "Memoirs of the Different Rebellions in Ireland" (1800) provide much more reliable information. :)

ah ya got me there :)

in my defence I may have confused the Skirmish with Bookey at the Harrow with this one, tho the rebelions numbers didnt really swell to full capacity til abit later in the summer of 98, consider the numbers of the battle of Ross.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 chicklick

Johnnyboy.
    The fallen on oulart hill who's names are on the stones up there are actually buried in the old graveyard in oulart. there is a headstone in place with their names on it. the names of the 6 have always been known around the locality except for one man who was a weaver. unfortunately his name is lost forever. Any more info you need just ask.

chicklick wrote: »
    Johnnyboy.
    The fallen on oulart hill who's names are on the stones up there are actually buried in the old graveyard in oulart. there is a headstone in place with their names on it. the names of the 6 have always been known around the locality except for one man who was a weaver. unfortunately his name is lost forever. Any more info you need just ask.

That's great chicklick, I didn't realise they were buried in the graveyard at all, might pop out there over the weekend so and have a look. Is that the graveyard beside the church at the turnoff for the hill in the village?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 chicklick

Hi Johnnyboy
    Sorry I wasn't in touch with you before the weekend. Did you get out to Oulart over the weekend? we were a bit pre occupied over the weekend out there. Yes thats the graveyard beside the chapel. The grave is in the furthest corner to the left. the 6 are buried in the same grave. Any other assistance you need just ask

Didn't make it there last weekend but will this weekend for definite. It'll be good to see the place where they're buried after first seeing their names at the top of the hill.

Shame that there's not more done to commemorate the battles and the people who died on both sides apart from the pikemen marching occassionally. Wouldn't it be fantastic if they re-enacted the battles over a few weekends every May/June? Even if it was just Enniscorthy would be something. Seems to big huge in the US with civil war re-anactments.

the problem with 1798 reenactments is that

WE LOST THAT ONE

kind dampens the spirit somewhat.

98 was cool cos we comemorated everything, we even had a camp on Sliabh Coilte.

• Advertisement
Advertisement