Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SATA to IDE??

• 07-10-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys

I recently bought a 1TB external hard drive which I have just discovered is a SATA hard drive. I have had an external HDD Media Player for a while now that has a 400GB IDE hard drive inside it. Obviously because I can fit more movies etc..on the 1TB hard drive I want to swap the hard drives and put the 1TB into the HDD Media Player. Before I go paying out more money I was wondering would a simple SATA to IDE converter work for this inside the HDD Media Player or are those converters more for converting inside your desktop/tower?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

There is such a device, the only problem is, yoru device probably only has a small amount of space inside it, so i woudl put money on it using the connector it will not close up or even fit in at all.

Sata - Ide converter:

117729802_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Might work, if there is space

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭0141607

Anti wrote: »
    There is such a device, the only problem is, yoru device probably only has a small amount of space inside it, so i woudl put money on it using the connector it will not close up or even fit in at all.

Sata - Ide converter:

117729802_o.jpg

Cheers mate

Looks like I'll have to shell out for a SATA media player :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

the hard drive goes face in. You can simply connect those converters inside and have the hard drive outside the case. afaik it will still work

Might wor,k a bit ghetto, and be a little fiddly to install the connector and its cables, but it should work no problems.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help guys

I was just wondering if something like this would be suitable for what I am after?

http://www.cooldrives.com/native-sata-to-ide-adapter-with-jmicron-chip.html

now that may be the ticket to having you being able to close your enclousure up.

Sweet I'll search high and low for one tomorrow! I'm sure lovely Limerick will disappoint me on my searches though! I just don't have the patience for internet shopping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have one of those adapters if you want it, if you send me a SAE your welcome to it. Dont have a spare sata cable though.

EDIT:Im talking about the original anti linked to.

Something similar to the second one is here for about $4.50 delivered.

I have one of those adapters if you want it, if you send me a SAE your welcome to it. Dont have a spare sata cable though

Which part is the SATA Cable? Sorry I'm just not that experienced with computers.

Oh and which adapter do you have? The one at the top of the post or the second one I posted a link to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Sata Cable

sata_cable.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

see my above edit.

a Sata cable is the red ribbon type cable in the first picture

see my above edit.

a Sata cable is the red ribbon type cable in the first picture

Thanks for the offer for the adapter but I think I'm going to see if I can pick up a bridge first as I don't think the cables would fit inside the caddy.

Thanks again though

Advertisement