Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutered dog & bitch in heat

Options
  • 07-10-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if Harley, a male dog who was neutered 5 months ago at 7 months old, would be ok to be around a bitch in heat for the day.

Would he recognise that she is in heat and be at the poor thing all day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

My fellow, aged 3 years, neutered at six months, never, ever in his life showed the slightest interest in humping anything or even seemed to notice if females were in heat - until three days ago. His friend is in heat and she's feeling very friendly indeed and he half heartedly tried to hump her. He stopped when I told him to leave it...

I think if a neutered dog mounts a bitch in heat it can make it more likely that she will have a phantom pregnancy, so it wouldn't be a good idea to leave them alone together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah the poor thing will have to be kept seperated from his playmate. It would probably be best if I didn't bring him with me in the morning so. He gets excited if you even say "are you going to see Lilly" so to bring him to the house but not let them near each other would be a bit bad on him.
    Thanks a mil for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

Theres no harm whatsoever, They can mate with bitches and get them pregnant for up to 10 days after their neutered but after that it should be fine for them to be alone.

Advertisement