Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old 286 or 486 Computer

• 07-10-2009 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi

I am looking for an old 286 or 486 Computer. I need the computer to run a program for a CNC Milling Machine. We have tried to run the program on Windows 1998 but since the machine was manufactured in 1994. We even got on to the CNC Milling Machine manufacturers which is Hurco but they told us that the program will only run on an old computer. So can anyone help me please???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Did you try running the PC in dos mode ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

ive got a couple lying around if u want to come to waterford to collect them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Use a virtual machine? or maybe even a program called Dos box on a modern PC? If it runs on a standard 286 or 486 without any funny hardware it can defo be emulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just want to reiterate that there should be no reason to require old hardware. It can all be emulated now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

What if it is communicating using COM ports or Parallel port? Some old software used to call on some very odd assets and tricks to keep ticking over.

Also, 286/386/486's are hardy little buggers in a warehouse\machine shop environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Amalgam wrote: »
    What if it is communicating using COM ports or Parallel port? Some old software used to call on some very odd assets and tricks to keep ticking over.

I take your point, but it should all be possible in a virtual machine. Com ports were a horrible nuisance as I recall alright, but I don't think they're specific to a 286. Even my first pentium 2 had an ISA port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bird Man

We tried dos mode but it didn't work. We also need a com port as we have use a dongle to run the program with the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Can the company that make this software not source you some hardware too? Or could you not using someware a bit newer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

Came across a similar situation recently where the software would only run on a 486 (could have been a PI, can't remember) and only with a specific chipset. Get the model of the PC you have and I'll root around and see if I have one.

Paul.

• Advertisement

Great Thanks. Well at the moment I have a dell computer with Windows XP which I have the software on it. Just to let you know I am not an expert on computers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

Great Thanks. Well at the moment I have a dell computer with Windows XP which I have the software on it. Just to let you know I am not an expert on computers.

Not sure what you mean here, but if you get the PC that is running on the CNC machine and get the make and model number off it, I may be able to help.

Paul.

Sorry but that pc is gone (dumped) so we need to get a new 486 pc to run the machine. I managed to get the software from the machine manufacturer but they told us the software will only run on an old computer. See we haven't used the machine for some time and we have a job that we need to run on the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Khannie wrote: »
    I take your point, but it should all be possible in a virtual machine. Com ports were a horrible nuisance as I recall alright, but I don't think they're specific to a 286. Even my first pentium 2 had an ISA port.
    Quite a bit of, admittedly badly written, ancient software built in the 8086/286 era relied on software loops for timing purposes which won't stand a cat in hell's chance of running correctly on a modern dual core CPU however much you virtualize it. Heck, even when the 386 came out it broke a lot of that kind of software for the same reason.

Advertisement