Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance V's Not

Options
  • 07-10-2009 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I have query regarding health insurance i am wondering if i was to get pregnant and have no health insurance would the bills be big ones or is it better to get the insurance before we get pregnant.
    At this stage i am out of work so we have chosen to start a family now.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

mistee wrote: »
    I have query regarding health insurance i am wondering if i was to get pregnant and have no health insurance would the bills be big ones or is it better to get the insurance before we get pregnant.
    At this stage i am out of work so we have chosen to start a family now.
    Thanks in advance

There are no bills unless you choose to go 'private'.

The only advantages of going private is appointments in the evening rather than during the day (which makes no difference if your unemployed anyway), and a private / semi-private room in the hospital ("if there is one available":rolleyes:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

With most health insurance policies you need to have been with the company a year before you can avail of their pregnancy coverage.

IF you do not have health insurance you can have the baby under the public scheme and a certain amount of appointments are free as are the costs of delivering the baby.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/health/women-s-health/maternity_and_infant_welfare_services

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mistee

thank you so much for the reply
    lets hope it works out now.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Yip you only pay to go private so no need to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Having gone the public route with my second child as he was conceived within a month of moving back to Ireland I have only praise for the health care that I received. If there were any suspicions of any potential issue around the pregnancy then you'd see a consultant anyway.

Even if you go private there's no guarantee that your consultant will deliver the baby nor is there any guarantee that you'll get a private or even semi-private room. I know of so many women who went the private route and their consultant was on a day off or on holidays so wasn't available to deliver the baby and others had to avail of a public bed due to the few private rooms being occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

This article was in the Irish Times quite recently

Does your plan cover childbirth?
    PARENTING: HAVING A baby can be an expensive time. Buggies, prams, cots and car seats can be a significant drain on your resources, while depending on what care option you opt for, the cost of actually having the baby can run into several thousands of euro. In general, women in Ireland have three main options when it comes to choosing what kind of care they would like – or can afford – during their pregnancy, writes FIONA REDDAN

Public care

First up is public care, which is open to all, as every woman in Ireland is guaranteed the right to free maternity care, regardless of whether they hold health insurance or have a medical card. There are a number of different ways to avail of public care, such as attending the maternity hospital for all appointments, opting for combined care whereby a GP takes some of the appointments, or attending a midwives’ clinic.

As a public patient, you won’t have to pay anything for your antenatal appointments, delivery and hospital accommodation. However, many women who opt for public care avail of a scan in a private clinic, rather than waiting until 20 weeks for their first scan as is the case in many public hospitals.

Numerous facilities are now available around the State, such as Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock, Dublin, which charges €145 for an early dating scan, and €195 for a 3D/4D scan, while an early scan will cost €160 at Mount Carmel Hospital.

Private care

If you decide to get private maternity care, you can expect to see your own consultant at each antenatal visit in his or her rooms, and get private accommodation after the birth, depending on availability. Unless you have a lot of money to spend, the private alternative is really only suited to those with private health insurance, as this covers the cost of private accommodation in public hospitals, as well as delivery charges.

However, the cost of consultants’ fees are not included and must be paid for by the patient. In Dublin, fees generally range from about €3,500 to €5,000, while you could knock about €1,000 off if outside the capital.

Although health insurance doesn’t cover these fees in full, most policies offer some form of contribution. At the VHI, both plan A and plan B include a contribution of €255 towards pre- and postnatal, GP, consultant or midwife fees, while €385 is granted on plan B options.

Under Quinn’s Essential Plus policy, you can claim €400 per pregnancy back on the cost of your fees, and up to €500 under Healthmanager. At Hibernian Health, its I Plan, level 2 offers €400 back.

However, it should be noted that some of these contributions are subject to an outpatient excess. For example, at Hibernian Health, the I Plan, level 2 is subject to an excess of €150, while Quinn’s Essential Plus has an excess of €220 for an individual policy, or €440 for a family policy, which means that monies up to these levels must be covered by the member themselves, with insurance cover only kicking in after these amounts are reached.

And, regardless of the level of private health insurance cover you may have, the degree to which you can offset the cost of consultant fees against your insurance policy is limited. For example, premium policies such as the VHI’s Plan E and Hibernian Health’s I Plan, level 5, only offer relatively little recompense – €385 and €400 respectively.

A better bet is Quinn’s top-of-the-range product, Healthmanager Gold, which allows you to claim back €750 against your outpatient maternity consultations.

In addition to the contribution from your health insurer, you can also get a tax rebate on the fees, although following the last Budget, going down the private route has just become a lot more expensive. From this year onwards, you can no longer claim medical expenses back at the higher rate of 41 per cent and even if you are paying tax at the higher rate, the most you can claim back is 20 per cent.

In summary, a member of the VHI’s plan B scheme could expect private maternity care in a public hospital, based on consultant fees of €3,500, to cost them about €2,596, after insurance and tax deductions. By comparison, the cost to the patient last year would only have been €1,330.45, due to the more generous tax relief.

Private in a private hospital

At present, there is only one private maternity hospital in Ireland, Mount Carmel, although the Beacon Hospital is said to be looking at adding a maternity and children’s hospital to its premises in south Dublin.

Private care in a private hospital is the most expensive option as, unlike public hospitals, health insurers don’t cover the costs of hospital care in full, leaving a significant shortfall for the patient, which must be paid in addition to consultants’ fees.

For example, at Mount Carmel, fees for a normal delivery in a private room, including delivery and anaethesist fees, cost €6,095 for three nights. But you will only get a contribution from your health insurer towards these costs. For example at the VHI, you will get a contribution of €2,275 towards charges under plan A, €3,150 under plan B, and €3,400 under plan E.

Quinn offers a rebate of up to €3,500 under Healthmanager, €3,900 under Healthmanager Gold and this rises to €4,000 under Essential Plus.

If you are a member of Hibernian Health, you can claim €3,450 back towards the cost of Mount Carmel if you have I Plan, level 2, and €3,850 if you have level 5.

So, for a patient with Hibernian’s level 2 scheme, a three-night stay in Mount Carmel will cost €2,645. When consultant fees of €3,500 are included, the total cost comes up to more than €6,000, which means that after claiming against tax and including the insurance contribution towards consultancy fees, the patient will be required to pay €4,596 out of their own pocket.

Semi-private

In some hospitals, a semi-private option is also available. Like private care, women see a doctor at each visit, but it may be a member of the consultant’s team, rather than the same consultant all the time, and the person may differ from visit to visit.

As a semi-private patient, you will be entitled to a semi-private room during your stay in hospital, but it may depend on availability, while the number of patients in the room may also vary depending on how busy the hospital is.

At the Coombe Hospital in Dublin, the semi-private fee is €750, while at the National Maternity Hospital (NMH) it costs €500.

At Mount Carmel, a semi-private option is also available, but as in the case of going private there, insurers will only make a contribution towards costs, and the patient must still pay to see a private consultant. The price of a semi-private room for three nights is €5,520.

As is the case with private care, the cost of going semi-private can be offset by the contribution from your insurer, if you have insurance cover. So, if you are a member of Quinn’s Essential Plus scheme, for example, you can claim €400 back, which means that the cost to you of your care in the Coombe will be €350.

You can then claim this expense against your tax but, as previously mentioned, the amount which can be claimed back has decreased from 41 per cent to 20 per cent, which will bring costs down to about €280.

Additional expenses

Private and semi-private patients can also expect to pay additional fees for procedures such as ultrasound scans and blood tests. While the patient may receive mini-scans in the consultant’s rooms, larger scans must be paid for. For example at the Coombe, scans cost €100 each up to a maximum of €300, while at the NMH, the charge is €110 per scan and €105 for blood tests.

While your insurance policy may cover some of the charges, it won’t cover all. For example, at the NMH, the VHI covers the cost of blood tests, but customers of both Quinn and Hibernian must pay about half the cost themselves.

Private patients at Mount Carmel also have to pay extra for certain services. Attendees at the Landscape Clinic, where some Mount Carmel obstetricians have their rooms, will have to pay €540 for a package which includes three scans, and €900 if expecting twins.

Alternatives

In addition to the three main options, other alternatives are also available, depending on where you live. For example, the Southern Health Area currently provides a free homebirth service for women who are eligible and living in counties Cork and Kerry.

Elsewhere, you can expect to pay from €2,000 to €5,000 for the services of an independent midwife, although the HSE also provides a grant, which will defray the costs somewhat. In addition, if you have private health insurance, you will also get a significant contribution towards the costs. For example, Quinn’s Essential Plus offers a grant of up to €4,000 for the cost of the birth, while the VHI’s plan B offers cover up to €3,150, and Hibernian Health’s I Plan, level 2, contributes up to €3,450.

Ensuring you’re insured

Finally, as maternity care is liable to insurance waiting periods, factor this into your decision before committing to a certain type of care. For example, if you decide to upgrade your existing private health insurance cover to get more maternity benefits, you will have to wait a year until your insurer will offer you the additional maternity benefits.

Similarly, if you are taking out private cover for the first time, or it has been more than 13 weeks since you last had private cover, then a 52-week waiting period for maternity benefits will also apply.

On the plus side, all three private insurers provide free cover for newborn babies until the next renewal date.

Link to article http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2009/1006/1224255974137.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Also bear in mind when it comes to costs of equipment for after baby is born most parenting magazines and other advertising mediums are mainly targeting first time mums/mums to be into thinking you need so much equipment and gadgets. Fact is a lot of it isn't necessary and any parent that I know have admitted when these sort of things come up in conversation that they've got stuff that they never used or only used once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The only advantage I can see to private care is a smaller room but even thats not guaranteed. If you read the stuff the hospital give you at your first appointment they have a disclaimer that says even if you are private / semi private you can still end up on a public ward...it all depends on how busy they are

Having only gone public I have to say the treatment I got was fantastic. Not sure about mainstream healthcare but in maternity you'll find a lot of the stories from public vs private are about the same. I certainly havent heard anything that would make me want to take out health insurance just for pregnancy.

Some of the extras you get are good though. A girl I know is with Quinn and they give you money towards parking which is handy..I think they also can provide you with a cleaner!!!!!

Deisemum is right about baby equipement. Most of whats out there is total rubbish and the amount of emotional blackmail used to sell to unsuspecting parents is amazing. I was in mothercare recently and saw a bottle of "baby bonding gel" of all things for nearly a tenner. Its basically baby oil with a naff name. You could get the own brand in boots, twice the size for a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

We went public and even though i have heard a lot of bad things about our health system etc i had never been so proud of a certain part of our pubic sector then i was over 9 months of the pregnancy especially the 3 days we were in the coombe.

From the minute we go in until we went (well convinced!!) to go home the nurses, doctors and everybody in between were un believably helpful. We are quite young and they didnt look down their noses at us or anythin. We honest to god were treated like royalty. I asked a few of the other fathers and many of them felt the same.

We were lucky enough to get a private room(something your not guranteed having even if paying for semi-private) so all in all we were delighted staying public.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

How did you manage to get a private room if you were a public patient?
    Did your health insurance cover it for you?

• Advertisement

After the OH had the emergency Section we were taken to recovery. After that we were brought to the ward where we were told the OH and baby would be in a room on her own. They told us she would only get put into a ward if there was someone who had serous problems with their birth. The OH had a grand section, no problems up walking within 12 hours and was half pushed out home (early release programme) after 2 and half days.

Dunno why she got the room but she did.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That was really nice of them,they probably just had the space and thought it would aid recovery:)
    I take it it was outside Dublin?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That was really nice of them,they probably just had the space and thought it would aid recovery:)
    I take it it was outside Dublin?

No in the coombe hospital. The ward was the one on the first floor to the left!

Advertisement