Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you happy with the new firearms licencing procedure

Options
  • 07-10-2009 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

yes

no

are you happy with the new licencing procedures 3 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

After two refusals for two legally held firearms it'd have to be a NO vote on my part :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Way too early for me to say yet, personally.

But, I don't like what I'm hearing about the pistol owners as well as the .375 restriction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i think i know the result of this poll ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The new system is a complete cockup of the highest order made by and run by people who don't give a dam.

And to whom we have no or little recall at this time. All you are told is you are in THE SYSTEM but not how to get out of the SYSTEM.

I'm now into the third week of waiting for the "Letter to Pay" for the licenses, having been entered into THE SYSTEM on day one.

I was told on Monday of this week by my FO that she had looked at my entry on THE SYSTEM and that I'm down as "letter to issue".

So right now I'm somewhere between a computer hard drive, the network uplink cable, but still adrift in cyberspace.

AGAIN a cockup of the highest order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

clivej wrote: »
    AGAIN a cockup of the highest order
    You're a while aaway from your extension running out for you to be getting so hot and bothered.

Calm down, these guys and girls are dealing with hundreds of these and they have to go to the Super for final decision and he or she's got a lot of other stuff on his/her plate too.

So in the system means just that, it's not a simple data entry job you know. Otherwise any keyboard monkey could do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Ill post this here on this thread, my buddy went to hand in his reapps today at the same station mines were handed into a few weeks back, he was told to return on friday as some of the garda were going to a course on thursday on how to deal with folks at the desk handing in their forms,
    so everything not running smoothly up here:eek::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

rrpc wrote: »
    You're a while aaway from your extension running out for you to be getting so hot and bothered.

Calm down, these guys and girls are dealing with hundreds of these and they have to go to the Super for final decision and he or she's got a lot of other stuff on his/her plate too.

So in the system means just that, it's not a simple data entry job you know. Otherwise any keyboard monkey could do it.

id say because he is waiting 5 months for a rifle licence, paid for stalking, the season started sep 1st, the rut is on , no one has any answers .

and who died and left you incharge ,that you can tell the man to calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Looks like a bit of ass kissing is going on.

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Ill post this here on this thread, my buddy went to hand in his reapps today at the same station mines were handed into a few weeks back, he was told to return on friday as some of the garda were going to a course on thursday on how to deal with folks at the desk handing in their forms,
    so everything not running smoothly up here:eek::)

Told ya so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

You (I) can white it down, I'M NOT HAPPY! I'ts easy to pick on an easy target.And they'll still do nothing about the holders of illeagle ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

jwshooter wrote: »
    id say because he is waiting 5 months for a rifle licence, paid for stalking, the season started sep 1st, the rut is on , no one has any answers .

It's not the existing licenes I'm worried about "Sure the one I have will do". It's the new license that I want and when you get rolled over for the best part of 6 months i start to think it's time to react. I have put well over €2000 into a gun I can't use now. And yes I have the Stalking paid for, got the deer license, done the HCAP, bought hunting and target scopes and mounts.etc ect ect .................................. And yes I'm pissed off

And I do not think that every FO is dealing with hundreds of these applications Do You???

The thing that gets me is there is no recourse to all this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

marlin vs wrote: »
    You (I) can white it down, I'M NOT HAPPY!

So which one of Snow Whites 7 friends are you????:D:D:D:D:D:D
    I'ts easy to pick on an easy target.And they'll still do nothing about the holders of illeagle ones.
    Fact!! And then to have the audacity to announce that this will do nothing to stop crime,but stop a "US gun culture"" Whatever the Hell that is!
    Meantime in a court room in Limerick yesterday a traveller has a go at one of his rivals with a 3ft Samuari sword!!!
    Great work Mr Ahernia!!! Your Samuari sword ban was a great sucess!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    marlin vs wrote: »

So which one of Snow Whites 7 friends are you????:D:D:D:D:D:D

Brilliant.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Em, Michael Jackson with Earth song, do I text in the answer, is there a prize? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

I see 1 yes vote,could the yes voter give us his reasoning here please,maybe the rest of us are missing out on something here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

thedragon wrote: »
    I see 1 yes vote,could the yes voter give us his reasoning here please,maybe the rest of us are missing out on something here.

Must be willi o dea:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

G17 wrote: »
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Brilliant.:)

I should have seen that one arriving, (coming) I better choose my words, by the way i'm GRUMPY.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Yes vote
    - Local Gardai extemely helpful, met our club to discuss requirments.
    - Gardai sent letters to all Oct\Nov renewals, stating what is required as an existing firearms holders.
    - Also include FAC1 forms in this mailshot, you got as many copies as you required for your renewals.
    - Dropped in my 4 applications, garda ask all the correct questions (even on my moderaters request), and was really easy to deal with.
    - 5 working days later I recieved my letters of receipt

So far I have no complaints about the process or the gardai.. might be different for the second half of the process!!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Terrier are you a licensed full bore Pistol holder, if not what type of gun club are you belong to. Could you tell us what Garda district covers your club and are all your members in the same district.

When you say your local Garda, are they the Garda that are local to your club.

We have a large number of members that are predominantly pistols shooters, their licenses come through a large number of Garda Stations all over the country.

If one is belong to a clay pigeon or game club the consequences will be a lot different than those affecting Pistols shooters.

My Opinion only.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Local NARGC Game Club.
    District is in Galway
    owner of Rifles and shotguns.

I understand certian firearms licence holders are not happy with the current situation, but i'm just giving my view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I voted Yes,
    So far no issues with the forms.
    I have now filled in 12 forms for different lads.
    Similiar to terrier I organised a meeting with the local FO and the members where we sat down and went through the forms from the start section by section asked for clarification got local agreement on ammo amounts (sufficient to shoot clays but not to give local Superintendent a heart attack),references etc etc Unofficial guidelines out at this stage but not official.

Biggest problem I have had is chasing lads who havent submitted re applications YET and there time is up.

I actually feel sorry for the local Guard, who as much as we have, have been dropped in the shlit.

I do feel for anyone who shoots pistol, and thank the stars I was never tempted.

I am confident that all will be sorted as the new system gets rolled out and people become more comfortable with the requirements.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

A few hot heads in this thread... I better watch what I say.

Clive did you not get a pistol not too long ago?

No matter how this went, good or bad, people would still be against it. People do not like change, no matter what it is for. I am happy signing my cert every year in my own home, without garda presence, I am happy that our FO is nice and know's his thing. I am not happy forking out 80 quid every 3 years, I am not happy about the lack of info given on the subject. Never been in a gun club, never had any problems with my gun in any way shape or form.

I don't reapply for a licence until may, I am strongly thinking of giving up my rifle. Due to the fact I don't have as much time to shoot as I used to. Is it difficult to reapply a year or two down the line even if it's only a .22lr I would be after?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A few hot heads in this thread... I better watch what I say.

Clive did you not get a pistol not too long ago?

No matter how this went, good or bad, people would still be against it. People do not like change, no matter what it is for. I am happy signing my cert every year in my own home, without garda presence, I am happy that our FO is nice and know's his thing. I am not happy forking out 80 quid every 3 years, I am not happy about the lack of info given on the subject. Never been in a gun club, never had any problems with my gun in any way shape or form.

I don't reapply for a licence until may, I am strongly thinking of giving up my rifle. Due to the fact I don't have as much time to shoot as I used to. Is it difficult to reapply a year or two down the line even if it's only a .22lr I would be after?

You are aware that €80 every three years is a net saving for you, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There are answers, you just mightn't like them ;)
    It's just a bit of friendly advice, you don't have to calm down. In fact you can get as apoplectic as you like and burst a blood vessel if you want. Is it going to help? :rolleyes:
    Sikamick wrote:
    Looks like a bit of ass kissing is going on.

Sikamick
    It doesn't hurt to be nice Mick. It seems you feel it's acceptable for you not to know the system, but not for the Garda in a rural station who's doing this for the first time as well.

As someone else said, we're all in the same boat here.

So yes, If you want to call it ass kissing please go ahead. That attitude says more about you then it does about me. :p

Perhaps there shouild be a 'neutral' option for those who are neither happy nor unhappy but are working with the system to see how it will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Perhaps there shouild be a 'neutral' option for those who are neither happy nor unhappy but are working with the system to see how it will go.

Too soon to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You are aware that €80 every three years is a net saving for you, right?

I can count perfectly well thank you. 80 euro for a licence when you are on social welfare is a lot of money...

Advertisement