Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build, recommendations please.

Options
  • 07-10-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hey
    Looking to do a build this side of christmas.

Budget: As close to €600 as possible.
    Just need a tower and a keyboard.

Uses:
    Internet surfing
    Irregular movie playing/ watching sports streams online
    Gaming, mostly football manager, civilization, don't currently have any halo type pc games but it would be nice for the pc to have the capability to run it well.
    Photoshop
    Dreamweaver.

In built bluetooth would be nice, but I'm sure using a blutooth dongle would be a lot easier.

The computer will be on a good proportion of the day so I was planning to allow for extra silent fans etc.

If anyone would like to give me a suggested rundown on parts that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What's the size of your current monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

I'll get yuou links to stuff tomorrow but heres a genral outline of stuff I'd say would be nice.

AMD Phenom II X2 BE 550 (Chance these can be ''unlocked'' to a quad core)

Gigabyte UD3(x) board - high rate of unlocking on these boards

Antec P183 - small stylish quiet case

Noctua case fans - to replace the stock ones to make the case near silent

As much ram @ highest speed I can find :p

ATI 5xxx card.The 5770 is being launched soon and this would probably be the best card for you.

Like I said,I'll tweak it around tomorrow morning and get you a definite list of parts

Few Questions though

-How much HDD space do you need ?
    -Monitor Res ? (like solitare already said)
    -Brand Preferances ? (AMD v Intel,ATi v Nvidia.etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Deano12345 wrote: »
    -Brand Preferances ? (AMD v Intel,ATi v Nvidia.etc )

..... :rolleyes:

Here's a better question, Will you be overclocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Thanks for the replies.

Currenty monitor is 1800 x 1200 res. Will probably get another one for this build too. Dual monitors are just so helpfull imo.

As for brand loyalty, i don't mind at all. Whatever is reccommended.

Also, I don:'t plan on overclocking at the moment, but having the option would be nice.

Thankls again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Something simple might suffice

Not a big heavy overclocking thing

A standard AMD quadcore 2.6, 50ish euro board, 4 gigs ddr2, samsung f3 1TB, corsair PSU, and an in stock 4770 would be fine.

The above would be fast, no fuss, in stock, and relatively silent.

Perhaps a small stylish mATX case instead of one of those tower monsters.

• Advertisement

oops posted on wrong forum?

Cheers for the efforts lads.

Any more suggestions i'd love to see them.

Well Phenom II's don't run photoshop as well as the competition...

(this is what i meant to post in the previous)

An i5 build with a 4770 is just about achievable on the button of €620 delivered.

Also just noticed that case only has 2 usb connectors, I have a wireless mouse and look to get a wireless keyboard too, and no doubt will have an external hd at some point too so at least 3 usb connections would be ideal, otherwise I can always buy a splitter on ebay or something.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

shoutman wrote: »
    Also just noticed that case only has 2 usb connectors, I have a wireless mouse and look to get a wireless keyboard too, and no doubt will have an external hd at some point too so at least 3 usb connections would be ideal, otherwise I can always buy a splitter on ebay or something.

Thanks again.

The P183 ?

it has 2 on the front panel.Most motherboards have 6 or 8 on the back so no worries there

Hey getting around to purchasing the components in the next couple of days, had to bring down the price though as I'm looking to have windows 7 included in the price (well as close as possible) through this thread and others I was looking at something like this

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Sockel 775 Intel P45, ATX

CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 boxed, 4MB, LGA775, 64bit

RAM: 4096MB DDR2 Corsair Twin2X CL5, PC6400/800

Hard Drive: WD Cavier Black 500GB, WD5001AALS

DVD Drive: Samsung SH-223B bare schwarz SATA

Pwer supply:
    Corsair VX550W 550 Watt

Graphics card: MSI R4650-MD1G, 1024MB, PCI-Express

Case: Antec Three Hundred, ATX

Am I missing anything? I think everything here is compatible.
    So if I was to go with the above it would come to €520 before shipping so I think its €550 inclusive.

Also I have heard that hardwareversand can put it together for you?
    Am I right in thinking thats what Rechner - Zussamenbau is?

Any opinions/suggestions

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

The motherboard you chose has 12 usb ports,the one below has 8 and it's half the price.
    Realistically it does the exact same thing.Don't be taken in by the likes of the words "PRO", "Turbo" it's "POWER" words they like to use for the teenagers.Realistically it doesn't warrant paying 55 euros for 4 usb ports and some pretty packaging.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28271&agid=659

Now your order would be €499

Hey getting around to purchasing the components in the next couple of days, had to bring down the price though as I'm looking to have windows 7 included in the price (well as close as possible) through this thread and others I was looking at something like this

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Sockel 775 Intel P45, ATX

CPU:

Hard Drive: WD Cavier Black 500GB, WD5001AALS

Pwer supply:
    Corsair VX550W 550 Watt

Graphics card: MSI R4650-MD1G, 1024MB, PCI-Express

So if I was to go with the above it would come to €520 before shipping so I think its €550 inclusive.

Any opinions/suggestions

Thanks again.

The quad 8300 and p45 are oldish technology..

The current AMD's are generally better value..

Go for a 4670 (512mb) instead of a 4650, that way you are covered when you want to try new games with half decent graphics.. don't be tricked by the amount of memory on a graphics card, it means v little as regards a yardstick for performance.

The money you save should go on on a 1tb samsung f3, they are extremely fast harddrives, and you get all that extra space for what, like 20 euros extra?

Everything else seems okay.

Can I spoil the party by pointing out that if shoutman wants to have the ability to play non-turn-based slideshows games we're talking OCd HD5770 minimum. Curse Of The 1080p Monitor strikes again! :p

Card above is frugal but overpriced. HD4870 1GB is cheaper but old and hot. HD4890 is lovely but a bit overkill. HD4850 and below can't keep pace past 1650*1080, and we're talking about a 16:10 1080p+ screen here... :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

a gtx 275 could be right down your alley :P

I thought we were trying to keep this thing cheap? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Solitaire wrote: »

And Good :D

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP41-UD3L, Intel G41, ATX, PCI-Express

CPU:

Hard Drive: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)

Power supply:
    Corsair VX550W 550 Watt

Graphics card: Club3D HD4670 512MB, ATI Radeon HD4670, PCI-Express

Any opinions/suggestions

Thanks again.

So i've made the changes with regards motherboard and Hard drive.

I don't think I could justify spending an extra 100 for a great graphics card, and don't mind not getting the most from the monitor, (I can upgrade in the future anyway I presume)

With regards a different CPU, are you thinking something like this?
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=25468&agid=1242

If not could you pinpoint one for me please?

I really don't want to be going over th €600 budget, but I know even with this setup I will be when I throw in the price of Windows as well.

Thanks again for all help up to now, and please keep it coming.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Solitaire wrote: »

then what do you recommend mr smarty pants? a 4770? :P

doh! or a 5750 or 5770!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

All these shiny new graphic cards discussions are making me feel very bitter towards my < 6 month old HD4870 right now. :)

So is the setup as of three posts ago adaquete for me needs? Or should I really be changing graphics card and CPU?

So is the setup as of three posts ago adaquete for me needs? Or should I really be changing graphics card and CPU?

The CPU is fine, but for a GFX Card, you are stuck between a rock and a Hard Place ATM.

The 5750/5770 are slightly overpriced, as they are shiny and new, and the 4750's haven't had time to lower in price yet. The 5850 is beyond your budget I would assume, otherwise I would tell you to get that one. In a month or so the prices might go down to an acceptable level for the 4750s

However, that being said, if you must get one now, get the 5750/5770. They are a lot more future proof than a 46xx/47xx and allow for a lot more expansion (say if you go multi monitor in the future).

Multi-monitor is a must so I guess its a 5750/5770....

thanks.

I think the p41 motherboards are not so great.. get someone to pick you out one here

That's a G41 Chipset, not a P41 Chipset.

Ordering this in the next hour, so last chance for anyone to pitch in.

Thanks again for all the help so far.

Advertisement