Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did my autobox fluid flush - pics

• 07-10-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭

Well, I bit the bullet today and got under the car for a total of 4-5 hours to do my transmission flush. Mines the smaller 5hp-19 tranny from the E39 and E46 BMWs, but no real difference to the two other bigger E38s trannys apart from plug locations and atf capacity.

Got the drain plugs out, and drained a total of 5.1 litres of smelly atf. Here it is in all it's glory.

DSCF0666.jpg

DSCF0671.jpg

Once that was drained, it was time to drop the pan. 22 pain in the ass T27 screws had to come out, after me buying a set of Torx head that went up in increments of 5. Grrr... Heres the pan:

DSCF0668.jpg

Not too shabby at all, I was quite pleased with how clean it was. Not too much sludge on the magnets:

DSCF0669.jpg

This actually dropped out of the fill hole when I cracked open the plug, I heard it land in the plastic bucket. I hope its not too important, it could have come from the screw threads:

DSCF0667.jpg

Got the washing up liquid out and boiling water and cleaned the pan and magnets, voila:

DSCF0670.jpg

Here's the underside of the transmission with the old filter attached:

DSCF0672.jpg

DSCF0673.jpg

Here's the new ZF filter:

DSCF0674.jpg

Unscrewed the two more T27s holding it in and replaced it with the new one. Here's a litre of the new Esso LT71141 beside the old stuff, some difference:

DSCF0676.jpg

I got 3.5 litres in before it started over flowing from the fill hole. I plugged it up and started the engine with air-con, lights etc on to increase the idle speed and shifted through the gears, 3 seconds at a time.

Back under the car with the engine running and I got another 2 litres in before it started flowing out again. Here's the overflow (on cardboard) compared to the drained fluid:

DSCF0677.jpg

Much cleaner. So as things stand there's 5.6 litres of clean fluid (500ml more than what came out) and 4.5 litres of old fluid still in there. I still have about 4 litres left that i'll add in at a later stage.

Still haven't driven it yet apart from off the ramps, the real proof will be tomorrow when I start her from cold.

A very satisfying job to do and not nearly as scary as I thought it would be. :)

Forgot to add that the car is at 82k miles and is 9.5 years old.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nice work :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Thanks. :)

I have a 600km round trip to Galway in 2 weeks, what do you guys think, should I replace the remaining few litres asap as in tomorrow perhaps, or do it after I return?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Love it and well done, thanks for sharing! I hope it drives OK, I was warned about changing with the oil on my 520iAuto after 100K in that it can cause problems, can't see how and may have just been scare mongering.

Let us know if you can feel any difference.

Will do. I had zero problems before doing it, this was purely preventative maintenance. I have a recording of the transmission changing gear this morning from cold between 1st and 2nd, it always hesitated ever so slightly doing this from cold. This will be the only thing I hope this eliminates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nice one, i love these posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.....I have a recording of the transmission changing gear this morning from cold between 1st and 2nd, it always hesitated ever so slightly doing this from cold. This will be the only thing I hope this eliminates.

Do tell, if yours works, mine might benefit from a similar job.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Very satisfying I'm sure. And always worth doing, I had mine done shortly after purchase and it deffo made a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Well done voodoomelon. She'll keep motoring on! Ever identify that loose part?
    At the expense of sounding careless. If it fell out and the car came off the ramp then it prolly wasnt required but maybe crawl around the block just to make sure

The part came out of the transmission upon opening the drain plug, it hit the bucket along with the first dollop of fluid. I think it might be from the clutch packs. I'll take a good look at the screw and hole tomorrow.

Here's the video of the gear changes between 1st and 2nd from a cold start. I have the misfortune of living in an estate where there are 3 short roads of identical length on the way out, so the car goes 1st-2nd-1st-2nd-1st-2nd-1st. You can hear the drag between the changes, buts only when cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54I-py47psg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Great work- I am planning do do the same on my wife's Ford Galaxy Auto.

Where did you get the Esso LT71141, apparently it is recommended for the Jatco box in the Galaxy?

thanks,

Richard

• Advertisement

Lol, don't ask, it caused quite the stir on here. I got it from BMW as its near impossible to get elsewhere. Word has it VW stocks it for far less cash, I paid over 30 euro a litre...

My research on internet said that Valvoline Max life ATF is a direct equivalent.

I bought from local motor factor for 9 euro per liter.

see here
    http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/55-27196-292630-4696/ATF%20Recommendations%20APR%202007.pdf

Valvoline is the best substitute and I searched high and low to get it and asked 2 different motor factors if they could order it in, they said no. Tore my hair out looking for it, all the lads in the States use it no problem.

Where did you get it richard?

Artane Autos. They had to get it in for me and thought I was mad buying it when dexron III was available there and then. But had it next day- no prob. Then the day I meant to do the job- it lashed rain. Plan to do job later this week.

Also didn't really get why I wanted 5 litres when the spec for refil is only 2 l.

Hope this helps.

Richard

That helps loads, thanks. I'll buy that next year then, I only tried local shops, no doubt many shops in Dublin would have been able to get it. You live and learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fair deuce for having the balls to do it. Fingers crossed (times 1,000,000) it will work out!

I don't recollect you mentioning a problem with the box before (shifting between 1 and 2 when cold), but that makes it a lot easier to understand why you went ahead ;)

One more quick vid of the fluid as it came out of the pan, absolutely rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

One more quick vid of the fluid as it came out of the pan, absolutely rank

Jebus! That's nasty stuff, well worth changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Great job Voodomelon....
    really nice to see that in pics...

A video from this morning, start from cold. Box seems to slip into 2nd a bit easier now. To be honest the problem was more a result of my estate having roads that are just short enough to not require 2nd gear, where acceleration drops off just as it would be dropping into 2nd. You guys probably won't notice from the video, but I think there is a small improvement in the smoothness in which it does it. Remember I only have 55% fresh fluid now.

I'll do some good driving now, mix all the atf up and drain the and refill it tomorrow with the remaining 4 litres. That will leave me with over 75% fresh fluid.

EDIT: Correction, 85% fresh fluid in total.

• Advertisement

valvoline Max Life ATF available off the shelf in Southside Motor Factors, Kylemore Road.

Saw it there myself today at around 2pm.

Good luck with the second change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Voodoomelon, in my 520i auto the autobox held on to first gear a bit longer (as if in sport mode), until the car was warm, this it to get the oil up to temperature quicker. Is that what you are experiencing? if so it is quite normal.

I used to override it by putting it in snow mode for the first km, that stopped the high revving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I notice the same on my car when driving from cold. (Vauxhall Omega) It just holds first for a little bit longer but is fine after a hundred yards or so. Might just check the level at some stage to make sure I am all topped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Some of the automatics have a fluid temp sensor that keeps the trans in gear longer for drivability to prevent lugging of the engine and the delay is normal. The trans fluid needs to be changed more often every 50kms especially in stop and go traffic. I think that the new fluid needs to be changed again until it looks like pink when it came from the container. Semi synthetic auto transmission fluid will work doesnt matter the brand if you can get it

Thanks for the replies regarding the changing between 1st and 2nd from cold, thats exactly what I thought. I was pretty sure all other autoboxes are the same from cold.
    It's just driving out of my estate exacerbates the delay felt.

I drove around town today for an hour and its smooth as butter, in fairness it always was. Once its up to temperature you can barely hear the shifts.
    I think that the new fluid needs to be changed again until it looks like pink when it came from the container. Semi synthetic auto transmission fluid will work doesnt matter the brand if you can get it

It will be done tomorrow, but the new fluid is actually very dark and nowhere near as red as other ATFs, more of a browny red.

Advertisement