Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need urgent help with english

Options
  • 07-10-2009 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Patrick Kavanaghs poetry makes you see the world in a fresh and original way? Do you agree? Make reference to poems you have studied.

I just dont understand how to answer this question. ny help wil b appreciated. i hav 2 answer this question by friday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

hotring98 wrote: »
    Patrick Kavanaghs poetry makes you see the world in a fresh and original way? Do you agree? Make reference to poems you have studied.

I just dont understand how to answer this question. ny help wil b appreciated. i hav 2 answer this question by friday.

Write an essay on Kavanagh's poetry, discuss 4/5 poems and keep referring to the title.

-Introduction
    -4/5 paragraphs on 4/5 poems
    -Conclusion

Discuss the title in the intro. Mention "seeing the world in a fresh and original way" or similar phrasing in each paragraph and refer to it again in the conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I don't really know anything about Kavenagh's poetry- does he make you view the world in a fresh and original way?

If your answer is yes

-Write an introduction explaining why you agree and how[/I Kavenagh makes you view the world in a fresh and original way, making brief reference to the four poems you will discuss
    -Discuss each poem separately identifying the features that make you agree with the statement. Eg. interesting use of metaphors/original associateions between X,Y and Z/unusual concepts explored/alternative points of view exposed/avoidance of cliché (I haven't read Kavenagh so I can only be very vague!)
    -Conclude your essay by tying together everything you have said. Basically it'll be a summary of the main points you've raised, a differently-worded intro really.

If your answer is no...
    ...answer yes anyway, it's much easier!
    -If you disagree, chances are your answer is "they just don't, ok?". This is a perfectly fine answer, just not for an essay. Try to identify precisely why it doesn't make you view the world in a fresh and original way, does Kavenagh overuse clichés, does he make common associations? If you find his poetry uses the same metaphors and ideas as in other poems maybe tie them to other poets you have studied to show that it's not all that fresh or original.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Piste wrote: »
    I don't really know anything about Kavenagh's poetry- does he make you view the world in a fresh and original way?

If your answer is yes

-Write an introduction explaining why you agree and how[/I Kavenagh makes you view the world in a fresh and original way, making brief reference to the four poems you will discuss
    -Discuss each poem separately identifying the features that make you agree with the statement. Eg. interesting use of metaphors/original associateions between X,Y and Z/unusual concepts explored/alternative points of view exposed/avoidance of cliché (I haven't read Kavenagh so I can only be very vague!)
    -Conclude your essay by tying together everything you have said. Basically it'll be a summary of the main points you've raised, a differently-worded intro really.

If your answer is no...
    ...answer yes anyway, it's much easier!
    -If you disagree, chances are your answer is "they just don't, ok?". This is a perfectly fine answer, just not for an essay. Try to identify precisely why it doesn't make you view the world in a fresh and original way, does Kavenagh overuse clichés, does he make common associations? If you find his poetry uses the same metaphors and ideas as in other poems maybe tie them to other poets you have studied to show that it's not all that fresh or original.
    Excellent reply Piste, a good tip for most poetry essays I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Just a tip, its easier to agree than to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah it definitely is, in this year's LC I did that Walcott question which I totally didn't agree with but pretended I did cos it was easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Piste wrote: »
    Yeah it definitely is, in this year's LC I did that Walcott question which I totally didn't agree with but pretended I did cos it was easier.
    I did the same for the Keats as an abstract poem craic, looking back I kind of wish I had disagreed with the statement; it seems as though they wanted more people to disagree rather than just agree because it's been drilled into their heads that they should.

Advent- wants to have 'the luxury of a child's soul'
    The Hospital- renewal for Kavanagh after his operation, sees love in the 'common and banal'
    Canal poems- Canal is 'pouring redemption' for him, again the theme of renewal and rebirth.

It's one of the better Qs on Kavanagh. Read the commentry on the above poems in your poetry book, it'll probably discuss that.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

most of kavanaghs poetry is about using ordinary images and making them "magical". Best examples would be epic, Christmas childhood and hospital IMO. Just chuck in few small quotes or references, discuss said qoutes, and compare the sh!te out of his poems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hotring98

thanx a lot for da help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement