Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Vs Murphys

• 07-10-2009 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭

Since theres huge marketing campaigns going on for both companies and Murphys are trying to undercut their price in major cities what in your opinion would be the differences and which would you prefer?

Prefer Guinness myself but have been hearing people saying Murphys is an acquired taste so it might just be worth getting use to for saving 50cent a pint!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Anytime I'm down in Cork I always get Murphys, very enjoyable pint and the money saved makes it all the sweeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Murphy's is slightly sweeter and more 'watery' at least thats what I think. You'll rarely get a bad pint of Murphy's but 1 bad pint of guinness and you'll have the finger firmly through the paper the next day. When out in Dublin I stick to Guinness though, for some reason it tastes so much better in the capital.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's impossible to say without tasting them blind. When I did it, Murphy's came out way above Guinness -- it has a proper chocolate malt flavour where Guinness tastes of very little. I found O'Hara's and Beamish were indistinguishable from Murphy's and Guinness respectively.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Murphy's is head and shoulders above

O'haras, Porterhouse (several obviously enjoy them all really) Shandon stout and just sneaking in for me is Whitewater's Stout and Murphy's (they're's good, but I wouldn't rate either as highly as the proceeding bunch)

Then Beamish

Followed somewhere by Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thorpe

On the mouth I find Murphys can be a little watery, lacks a bit on the roast side, can be I find very sweet, lacks bitterness and anytime I have drank it I come away with a taste of banana.
    Guinness seems to have a bit more mouth feels to it. Is noticible more bitter and has the roast aroma very prominant.
    O'Haras very similar to Guinness but in my own opinion has more of that alcohal warming as it goes down (Beamish had his very prominant until Heineken started brewing it)
    Beamish now Im going to say no more on this, it was my favourite, it is no more.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I only tried Murphys from the can there a while ago and it's really nice. I must head down to O'Neills for a blind tasting test like beernut there.

Is there a list of Dublin pubs that do Murphys? I rarely see it around.

Murphy's is much nicer than Guinness. Love it whenever I'm down in Cork. If it was cheaper than Guinness in can format I'd drink much more of it.

Didn't they charge an extra euro for any pint out of Munster a few years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

Honestly best pint of stout I've ever had is Beamish in Con Houlihans in Cork City. I'm a Dub btw, so that's a big thing for me to give away. Beamish can be really good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

Both of them are lacking in flavour, unlike Stouts you'd get from the Porterhouse, so neither would be my favourite. But they're good in their ways, I find you can't drink too many of the weirder micro-brew stouts. Probably prefer Guinness due to having more "bite". Murphy's is a bit more tasteless, but it does have stronger Maltiness which is good. For value alone I think you can't beat Beamish in can from the supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Guinness Special Export is the nicest Irish stout I've tasted!

Too bad it's so little available in Ireland.

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    Guinness Special Export is the nicest Irish stout I've tasted!
    It is very good -- I stocked up when I was in Spain a few weeks ago.

It looks like we're heading into a golden age of strong Irish stouts -- I was down watching White Gypsy Vintage Imperial Stout being racked a few weeks ago, and discovered last Tuesday that the Porterhouse are planning a new edition of their 2006 Celebration Imperial Stout.

Happy days! :D

What's this Special Export stuff ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    What's this Special Export stuff ?

It's Guinness for the Belgian market.
    It's not a million miles from the Foreign Extra but is smoother and a little sweeter and, if I recall correctly, slightly stronger.
    Lovely stuff.
    Best Guinness I've tasted (don't think I've had the Nigerian Guinness)!

And of course despite the gigantic Guinness brewery here in Dublin and Ireland being famous for Guinness blah blah blah, you can't get this stuff in this country no ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

And of course despite the gigantic Guinness brewery here in Dublin and Ireland being famous for Guinness blah blah blah, you can't get this stuff in this country no ?
    Of course not. It's not on the tv. If it was it would only confuse the sheep people who rely on tv to inform them about beer.

And it's obviously not even available in that rubbish Storehouse bar that everyone sings the praises of ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ilovehoovering

And it's obviously not even available in that rubbish Storehouse bar that everyone sings the praises of ?

nope. storehouse only serves the regular foreign extra you get in off licences here.

It's contract-brewed for a Belgian company, so I doubt Diageo would be allowed market it directly even if they wanted to.

And I've just received a text from Oblivious who is out on manoeuvers, saying that it's on sale now in Redmond's of Ranelagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Well done the ICB field recon team.

Advertisement