Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliced Pork Belly -SuperValue

Options
  • 07-10-2009 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭

While I can find a lot of recipes for whole pork belly, I can't find too much for sliced pork belly. My local supervalue are currently selling pork belly in approx 1/2 inch slices- look similar to very thick but narrow rashers.

Anyone have some recipes or ideas for cooking this- they do fine on the pan for 6 mins either side with a bit of salt/pepper but looking for something a bit more exciting, possibly as a starter

CHeers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭myles79

* make sure the pork belly is completely dry
    * score the skin with a really sharp knife or a stanley blade
    * rub with salt cracked black pepper, rosemary and thyme and olive oil getting the mix all in the grooves and cuts
    *place pork on a cooking rack skin side down then over a cooking tray with half a cup of water in it make sure pork is above and not touching water
    * cook for one hour at 160oc then turn the pork over and roast skin sided up for another 45 mins to an hr if skin is not crispy turn heat in oven right up and leave till crispy and bubbly

the meat will be incredibly tender with amazing crackling :)

Edit :sorry thats for whole roast pork belly not the sliced kind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

with the search function just back, I'm only going back to this post now- thanks myles 79- will keep that in mind if I buy a whole pork belly (which I probably will) - I find the sliced pork belly v.good for flavour but it tends to be quite tough - not sure if there is a way to make them any less tender- maybe very slow cooking over a couple of hours in an oven

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Might do myself

Advertisement