Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup wees everywhere when excited!

Options
  • 07-10-2009 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

We have a new pup a few weeks, and it's got to the point that we can't bring him into the house cos he wees everywhere when he gets excitement. Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yes, pretty much.

Should pass with time. Make sure he's "empty" before you let him in and to bring him out as soon as he shows signs of having to go

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Yip very normal :) Gunnar up to only a few weeks ago would still having little accidents when people called over with the excitement of new faces :) (he's 6 months now)

I had to bring him out atleast once an hour up until he was nearly 5 months old. As Peasant said make sure the pup is empty before bringing him back in. Gunnar would only go a little bit as he was dying to get into the house.. so I would stay about 5 mins outside and have a little throw around before coming in. That way he went most days accident free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Perfectly normal. My eldest dog was 6 or 7 months old before she stopped doing it. In fact, the middle dog did it for the first and only time in her life 2 months ago, and she's 7 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ah yeh normal its just puppy nerves. Annoying i know but he "should" get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

A year on and my bitch still does it! She even does it when I come home from work every day! Only consulation is I have gotten her into the habit of going out the back garden when I come home so I can say hi to her!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 petchums.com

Sounds like submissive urination.

Submissive urination is not a housebreaking problem and usually happens when a dog has just been outside. Triggered normally when the dog is overly excited and scared, but it's mostly a response to you. Dogs normally urinate submissively when a person stands, leans or reachs over their heads. Also if your looking straight in their faces, baring teeth by smiling, etc. Small things I know, but do have a greater effect!

So try next time squatting next to her when she comes in and leaning slightly away. Don't look straight at her and talk normally to her and pet her. See if that gives you a different response other than peeing.

Most grow out of it as they get older so it's important not to punish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Ah yes your pup will soon get use to the workings if it's bladder.

A few more months and it will have just about stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jimmyn

Sure, it could be submissive urination, but it's probably not. This is just what puppies do. He'll out grow it. Puppies don't have any control of their bladders up to about 4 months. He'll probably be fairly good around 6 months.

Just ignore it and clean it up when it happens. No punishment. Wash the floor with biological washing powder (not bleach), and keep putting him outside regularly. He'll soon get the hang of it.

It takes human children a lot longer :D

Advertisement