Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Grrr... Maynooth" thread

• 07-10-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

I had a crappy day in college today and I want to rant about the way things go on in Maynooth so here's my thread and I'm going to rant all the time in it, because as anyone who knows me knows, I love giving out.

Firstly, reading room facebook eejits. The reading room is for reading, studying, doing assignments and getting some quiet without having to trek to the library. IT IS NOT FOR PLAYING FARMVILLE AND WATCHING DAVID GUETTA ON YOUTUBE AND DRAWING GIANT PICTURES. I couldn't get a seat in the reading room for ages today and forgot my student card and wasnt arsed trekking over to the library so I wanted to go to the reading room. Once I did procure a seat, nearly every person at the seats with the sockets was on facebook/youtube/farmville/bebo etc. Other people who were taking up seats were drawing pictures of their water bottles (they were in front of me) and some were just whispering and acting the maggot. Just because you're in the reading room doesn't mean you're doing any work if you're going on like that. It's not fair that people have to wait on seats because ye couldn't get one of the blue chairs by the computers and it's too cold to sit outside. /end of first GRR

Secondly, and most importantly, THE ARTS BLOCK COMPUTER ROOM IS FOR FUPPING ACADEMIC PURPOSES, NOT FARMVILLE. Needed an article to do an assignment today and there was a queue of 5 people and one girl was literally just on farmville, full screen and all, and other people were flicking between the two. Yer man the computer assistant starts walking around doing his standard swine flu check for drinks (which is hilarious) and what does the girl do? Opens a new tab and goes into her email. CA leaves, girl goes back onto farmville. ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH?!

I managed to get a computer (thanks Ro ;)) but after 20mins, she was still there, plowing away. I was more focused on getting my assignment done but if ANYBODY is playing motherfupping farmville the next time I have to do something IMPORTANT (harvesting your blueberries IS NOT IMPORTANT) I am actually going to take the sign that says "These computers are for academic purposes only" and slam it down in front of her. If you wanna play farmville during college time, bring your fupping laptop or go on the comps at the pod. I play farmville, but I have the feckin sense to know when it's time to harvest and when it's not. I'd actually prefer if the college blocked facebook like they did bebo because it's unreal the amount of time people like me who want to do academic stuff are waiting because of people who prefer to waste time.

Imagine the work people must have got done when there was no internet. Grrr.

That's my current gripe with Maynooth and also that people STILL after 3 years in Maynooth, haven't realised that voices carry in JH1 and yes, I can hear you talk about your cramps all the way down here, don't think it has anything to do with English, but thanks for sharing. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

They should really just block facebook and all similar sites in those pc labs. I don't know why you'd ever need to use it for academic purposes so just blocky block and problem goes away. As for reading room, don't bother. There are plenty of places around the college that you could sit in quiet and study. It's pointless going in there imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Spot on allandalways, spot on. I actually second that post, in all its 'spot on'ness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TinTin_1760

I had a crappy day in college today and I want to rant about the way things go on in Maynooth so here's my thread and I'm going to rant all the time in it, because as anyone who knows me knows, I love giving out.

Firstly, reading room facebook eejits. The reading room is for reading, studying, doing assignments and getting some quiet without having to trek to the library. IT IS NOT FOR PLAYING FARMVILLE AND WATCHING DAVID GUETTA ON YOUTUBE AND DRAWING GIANT PICTURES. I couldn't get a seat in the reading room for ages today and forgot my student card and wasnt arsed trekking over to the library so I wanted to go to the reading room. Once I did procure a seat, nearly every person at the seats with the sockets was on facebook/youtube/farmville/bebo etc. Other people who were taking up seats were drawing pictures of their water bottles (they were in front of me) and some were just whispering and acting the maggot. Just because you're in the reading room doesn't mean you're doing any work if you're going on like that. It's not fair that people have to wait on seats because ye couldn't get one of the blue chairs by the computers and it's too cold to sit outside. /end of first GRR

Secondly, and most importantly, THE ARTS BLOCK COMPUTER ROOM IS FOR FUPPING ACADEMIC PURPOSES, NOT FARMVILLE. Needed an article to do an assignment today and there was a queue of 5 people and one girl was literally just on farmville, full screen and all, and other people were flicking between the two. Yer man the computer assistant starts walking around doing his standard swine flu check for drinks (which is hilarious) and what does the girl do? Opens a new tab and goes into her email. CA leaves, girl goes back onto farmville. ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH?!

I managed to get a computer (thanks Ro ;)) but after 20mins, she was still there, plowing away. I was more focused on getting my assignment done but if ANYBODY is playing motherfupping farmville the next time I have to do something IMPORTANT (harvesting your blueberries IS NOT IMPORTANT) I am actually going to take the sign that says "These computers are for academic purposes only" and slam it down in front of her. If you wanna play farmville during college time, bring your fupping laptop or go on the comps at the pod. I play farmville, but I have the feckin sense to know when it's time to harvest and when it's not. I'd actually prefer if the college blocked facebook like they did bebo because it's unreal the amount of time people like me who want to do academic stuff are waiting because of people who prefer to waste time.

Imagine the work people must have got done when there was no internet. Grrr.
    OMG!!! This happens to me all the time (including today)!! I mainly use the computer room if I need to print articles and stuff. Had to que for ages today and from where I was standing there were plenty of "Facebookers" to be seen. Rippin' :mad: Also while we're on the computer/reading room rant, people who drop all their crap at a desk/computer and randomly wander off, I feel deserve a mention!!! Like wtf??? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Huh. In my day it was all about Bebo, not Facebook. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

In facebook's defense, I did use the chat function to meet a phoneless friend for coffee yesterday! (While doing readings...)

*Backs away from angry mob*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

Other people who were taking up seats were drawing pictures of their water bottles (they were in front of me)

Sounds like first year product designers. They dont have a studio anymore since we moved to the business and law department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

People who stop and talk on the footbridge should be hung drawn and quartered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Guarantee you'se all go on boards when you're in the computer rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Nah not in the computer rooms unless it's super quiet and there's free comps for people who want them. I'm all about the Callan computers for Boards.

Rye hall yes, Arts no way!

• Advertisement

Didn't know Callan and Rye had computers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I love the way there's always around 20 free computers in the EE building
    Mwhaaaa! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Ah yeah, sure is great doing computer science, plenty of computers (with less restrictions) at my disposal.

mp3guy wrote: »
    Ah yeah, sure is great doing computer science, plenty of computers (with less restrictions) at my disposal.

high five!!!

irish_goat wrote: »
    Didn't know Callan and Rye had computers....

*Pats Irish_Goat on the head*

There there, such a fresher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭token56

Effluo wrote: »
    I love the way there's always around 20 free computers in the EE building
    Mwhaaaa! :p

It's a brilliant department for this reason alone. Four years I never had trouble getting access to a PC, and now I have a PC of my own all to myself.

CS also has a sh*t load of computers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

mp3guy wrote: »
    Don't forget the free printing well, as long as you have paper :D
    +1, and it's always guaranteed to happen when you're late :o

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Harvesting your blueberries isn't important? :confused::confused::confused:
    Not what you said when you and astro were getting smashed at mine, tapping away at the computer :rolleyes:

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Don't forget the free printing well,

OMG how could i forget 300 pages a semester, it's great pre exams you can print out loads of stuff that you'll never read in a panic! harharhar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'll admit, I'm one of those guys who goes into the reading room or computer rooms and looks up non-academic stuff, be it wrestling or general social stuff. That said, if there's a queue or people who are obviously waiting to do important stuff, I have no problem standing up and letting them take my spot. It's ignorant not to....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

I'm feeling pretty pissed off with the two lovely emails, one from the SU, and the other from the registrar, reminding us all to behave ourselves.

In the four years I've been here, this is the first time this kind of email has been circulated. It is apparent that there is a particular group of shíteheads who have been acting like knackers while they're away from Mammy for the first time. Probably happens in most university towns.

However these idiots are certainly in a minority. They obviously should be found and dealt with both by the gardaí and the university. I however, like 99% of the other students here go about my business in a civilised manner and do not care, nor need to know about the anti-social behaviour of these cretins. I also certainly do not need to receive patronising emails reminding me not to partake in acts of anti-social vandalism.

/RANT

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I was thinking the same.

Anyone know what exactly happened to warrent the emails? I mean, I've seen and heard of some pretty weird stuff happening over my last 4 years here, and none have ever resulted in "The Man" getting in touch with everyone, warning us to behave. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I hate blue seats. It's not often I can nab one of the desks in the corridor. Need to eat me lunch off a table, not me lap. This new building better have tables. I miss the cantine. Used to love spreading out in the afternoon with all my notes and a mug of tea. Found it very handy to study in. Place never made me fall asleep like the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rodg3

Avoid the Arts Block PACRs and hit up Rye Hall or Long Corridor if you want to get some work done.

That said though, i've never had a need for them, Engineering department were Lovely for having private access computers for us when I was there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The randomness of Long Corridor's opening hours always bothered me.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rodg3

banquo wrote: »
    The randomness of Long Corridor's opening hours always bothered me.

Should be a timetable on the door to the place. If you're in a pinch, it's a great palce to fall back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

Regarding the JH1 comment from the 1st original and may i say best post (love a good rant), I wholeheartedly agree. I have my Economics lectures in there and I HATE the talking that goes on. Shut up and take down the notes or get out. I find it highly rude not only to the lecturer but to the 400 other students in the room. Its not that hard to stay quiet for an hour! Grrrrr!

Regarding the JH1 comment from the 1st original and may i say best post (love a good rant), I wholeheartedly agree. I have my Economics lectures in there and I HATE the talking that goes on. Shut up and take down the notes or get out. I find it highly rude not only to the lecturer but to the 400 other students in the room. Its not that hard to stay quiet for an hour! Grrrrr!

You doing first year economics? The talking is well annoying though, a bit of chat here and there is understandable but there always seems to be people chatting throughout. Why do they even bother showing up??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Oh yes, and also pitch capped, tarred and feathered, and piked off the side.

• Advertisement

People who stop and talk in large groups on the path from Dunnes to the crossing for campus also....

Advertisement