Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found: Possible lost young cat, what do I do?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 8:53pm

Hello! A few hours ago I noticed a cat was sitting on our back garden wall, meowing loudly. It was there for at least an hour if not more, didn't move at all as if it were stuck there. It was right outside my window, and was distracting me from my studies so I went outside to shoo it away (there's a lot of cats in my neighbourhood). However, I noticed it was quite young, I estimated about 2-3 months old. It has a collar but no contact details on it. We left it in the garden for another half hour but it still didn't go anywhere so we took it in from the cold, gave it water and some leftover chicken.

The dilemma is, the cat is obviously local, and has an owner, but I'm not sure if I should keep it in for the night or not. I don't want to leave it out in the cold on its own if it's lost (it's reluctant to go back outside now too), but I don't want to cause its owner undue worry by keeping it in if it's not lost.

Any suggestions? I've no pets at home myself since my rabbit died, so I'm fairly clueless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i think the local chinese could look after it for you :pac::pac::pac:

maybe take a pic and post a few signs up ?

spread the word that you found it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

take a photo and pic it in the window of your closet shop - maybe a message on community notices on the local radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Go round to your neighbours and they may know where it comes from.

Some cats are ver adept at becoming Six Dinner Sids!

http://www.amazon.com/Six-Dinner-Sid-Inga-Moore/dp/0671796135

I love that book!

We went around some of the feline savvy neighbours, but no one knew where he came from. So I guess we're stuck with him for now :) We're putting up a notice to say he's found in our window in case people come round tomorrow, but we don't know what to do with him while we're out. Do we leave him inside to potentially cause havoc or risk leaving him in the garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is there a shed or anywhere with shelter?

• Advertisement

Not really, no where the cat could safely be stashed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

We went around some of the feline savvy neighbours, but no one knew where he came from. So I guess we're stuck with him for now :) We're putting up a notice to say he's found in our window in case people come round tomorrow, but we don't know what to do with him while we're out. Do we leave him inside to potentially cause havoc or risk leaving him in the garden?

You could shut him into your bathroom. Make sure you put the toilet seat down though or he might fall in and not be able to get back out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yup putting the cat in the bathroom is probably the safest, if you have an old box and blanket you could put the cat in that too.
    Bring it to the vets and see if it's microchipped, put up signs/leave one in the vets/post in our lost and found thread at the top of the page and hopefully it can be reunited with it's owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lipo starter

If you can, bring the cat to local vets, they check if it is micro chipped, they don't charge for this, the owner may have contacted all local vets in the hope of someone bringing their cat in. there are plenty of places that will take in cats for rehoming if you can't locate the owner, try cats protection or cats aid. I would be inclined to keep the cat indoors for now, as he could be frightened off by older males coming around or run into a road

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

Put up lots and lots of posters everywhere with the picture of the kitty and a phone nr where to contact you. Am sure the owners might not be too far and maybe worrying.
    Provide him with a cardboard box and put a towel or so for him to sleep in.
    Agree to bring him to a vet to check if he is micro-chipped, and also put posters at different vet clinics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement