Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless not working

Options
  • 07-10-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    i can't connect to the internet by wireless. My wireless router is a netgear WGR614, the wireless symbol is blinking green.When the wireless is on my laptop can see it and it has full bars but yet it won't connect. On my laptop the wifi symbol is green also. I can play online on my xbox from the wireless router.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ok, if your xbox can get online, but you can't, and you're both set to connect to the same wireless modem, then it's the settings on your laptop. Common causes can be a firewall (either windows or otherwise), wireless encryption, or maybe dhcp settings.

If you go to a command prompt and type ipconfig, what is the output for your wireless card? Mine is
    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Does your computer mention anything about limited connectivity?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

MarkR wrote: »
    Ok, if your xbox can get online, but you can't, and you're both set to connect to the same wireless modem, then it's the settings on your laptop. Common causes can be a firewall (either windows or otherwise), wireless encryption, or maybe dhcp settings.

If you go to a command prompt and type ipconfig, what is the output for your wireless card? Mine is

Does your computer mention anything about limited connectivity?

Thanks for the quick reply.When i run the ipconfig i get the same as you.When i just have the wireless on i am getting limited connectivity.I presume its the laptop wireless card causing the problem its a Dell Inspiron 6400.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

What does ipconfig tell you about DNS servers ? Post the complete output, mines like this, from the same router:
    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5005GS Mini PCI Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-FC-ff-ff-ff [*edited*]
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::211:fcff:feba:fce%4
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1