Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

raid setup questions

• 07-10-2009 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I have 2 500gig internal hdd already raided up to be an extended hard drive (forget the number) the basic idea being that it's 1 tb hard drive in the end.

Want to add more space. I have 2 options. i can either buy 1 tb hdd or 2 500gigs and raid them together.
    First i want to know if it's possible to have 2 seperate raid configurations.

second, which options better? I can only assume the 2 500 gigs would be somewhat faster (or twice as fast) but more likely to fail. (or would i be wrong)
    i think the price difference makes out to be about 100 vs 80 or 70 so not too much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Would take me far to long to explain all the option, so ill do the easiest thing and link you to wikipedia.org ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

wolfric wrote: »
    I have 2 500gig internal hdd already raided up to be an extended hard drive (forget the number) the basic idea being that it's 1 tb hard drive in the end.

Want to add more space. I have 2 options. i can either buy 1 tb hdd or 2 500gigs and raid them together.
    First i want to know if it's possible to have 2 seperate raid configurations.

second, which options better? I can only assume the 2 500 gigs would be somewhat faster (or twice as fast) but more likely to fail. (or would i be wrong)
    i think the price difference makes out to be about 100 vs 80 or 70 so not too much.

two seperate configurations, that depends on what they are connected to, i.e. if the raid controller supports it

basically you have raid 0, bit more performance than two seperate disks, but if either disk fails you loose all the data... bit risky if you like your data

wouldn't really recommend raid setup for a home user, maybe raid 5 if the extra performance was needed

Advertisement