Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parts backlog

• 07-10-2009 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I've got a Dell laptop that has developed a problem with the graphics card. I've placed a warranty call and they've agreed to send an engineer to replace it. However, the part is on backorder and according to the tech, there's over 200 on backlog. Has anyone else come across this?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It is a possibility. Did they give you an estimate as to how long it will take them to get the part for you. Find that out and post back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

The tech has said a week to ten days, but I did receive an email stating that it would be three weeks. She did call me every day to let me know that the engineer call would not be going ahead, but for the last two days she just lets the phone ring once or twice before hanging up.

I've been looking on other forums and there are a lot of people waiting on this particular part from Dell. I just wanted to know if anyone else in Ireland had input.

Quick update: It's been over three weeks since the service call was replaced. Still no part and no ETA for one.

I have a Dell M1730 needing a replacement 8800M GTX.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Aren't the warranties for xps systems next business day? If so over three weeks is taking the piss. I'd get in contact with the national consumer agency if I was you.

Oh yes, it's a "Premium XPS Next Business Day" warranty. This Friday they'll have had 28 business days, one after the other. I don't think that nVidia make the card anymore and I'm sure that Dell tweaked whatever nVidia provided just enough that a card from elsewhere couldn't be used.

Now, I've heard of "baking" these cards and I'd love to try it. After all, the card's dead, so it can't get any worse. I just don't want the engineer to see that I baked it and then refuse service.

I spoke with someone at the NCA and she agreed that I had given them enough time to attempt repair and that I could ask for a replacement or refund at this point. She even pointed me to the Small Claims court to do so. But I really like this laptop and I just want it fixed. They don't make this one anymore, so they'd try to give me something lower spec.

My original question was: is anyone else having problems similar to this? Seems like there isn't. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

What they are likely to be doing is sending parts for refurbishment and receiving them back a few at a time.

You could ask them whether they can supply an alternative compatible part in the meantime, even just for a loan. I think that there was a 9800 option for that laptop.

You have given them plenty of time. They have M1730s on the Dell outlet which if they transfer the warranty, might be acceptable.

Though an engineer here recently to fix a latitude for the second time mentioned that the refurbished Nvidia cards haven't had the problem solved, they are just as likely to suffer failure as the original card. Accepting a downgrade in the size of the screen for a newer graphics card might be a better option in the long term.

They don't make this one anymore, so they'd try to give me something lower spec.

They can't do this. If they replace the unit it must be of equivalent or better spec than your current one.

Dell have now offered to refund me or replace the laptop with an Alienware.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dell have now offered to refund me or replace the laptop with an Alienware.

Good to hear. Hope fully its the same spec or if your lucky, better.

The law as it stands is:
    Repair (within a reasonable time)
    Replace (within a reasonable time)
    Refund

In that order.

Today I've agreed to the refund. I know I can buy a better machine than the one I was offered as a replacement.

• Advertisement

A full refund has been received. Nearly three months after the problem occurred.

...and brand new laptop ordered.

Job done. :D

...and brand new laptop ordered.

Job done. :D

Good to hear its resolved. I had similiar heartache with a alienware sentia laptop before dell took them over. It took 2 months for full refund.

what did you order?

david7536 wrote: »
    what did you order?
    An Alienware M17x. :)

I was offered a huge discount (over 21%), so I took it.

Advertisement