Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with puppy in cold weather

Options
  • 07-10-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

hi, i have a 5 and half month old lab puppy she has been outside since 3 months last night there was frost and a thin layer of ice on her water bowl i got her a kennel that says it is fully insulated but am worried if she is too young still to be out in that cold can anyone give me any info on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I have my puppy outdoors though he is a husky so since the breed derives from siberia... they are built for it...

Saying that I am feeling guilty at the moment. I'd leave him indoors (and do when I'm at the ohs.. it's just not possible at home)
    I'm planning to get a little porch area to attach to his kennel so atleast that will give him more space to look out during the rainy days.

Also the other only thing really is plenty of blankets!! I use vet bedding and some blankets so he's nice and snug. saying that he does have a tendancy to rip them all out every night :rolleyes:

If your making porridge for yourself in the morning you can always give her a little of that lukewarm too to warm her up a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

ya i have lots of fleece blankets in with her but i find by mornin theyre all over ground and she has them nearly shredded jus not sure wat to do she is inside most of day but jus outside for night im jus worried cos she still so young dont want anything to happen through my fault for the sake of jus having her in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If possible bring her in. If not, you could get heat lamps, like for a reptile, just ensure she can't get near it or any of the wires.

Maybe you could get a heat mat like used for reptiles too?

I got a "beddy bear" for myself last winter, a cuddly toy you heat in the microwave. Maybe one of them would work?

Make sure the kennel is well off the ground and turn the kennel so the door is facing a wall (obv with space for the pup to get in and out :P) to minimise draughts.

If the kennel is just a wooden one with no insulation, consider buying a new one, or getting plywood and insulation to insulate the one you have (very cheap option if you are at all handy).

Another option would be to get an igloo shaped kennel, apparently they keep the heat in better due to the shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

bring the pup in - i don't understand why people keep dogs out at night time, you exclude them from being part of your pack - plus if they start barking in the middle of the night cos there is a cat you wake your neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jimmyn

If she has an insulated kennel, she'll be fine. My Golden Retriever shreds any bedding/blankets I give him too. Nature gave them a great coat.

Your dog is a Labrador Retriever - bred to sit in cold wet fields all day, then jump into a lake to retrieve a duck. She'll jump into a lake on the coldest day of the year and think nothing of it.

What you could do is let her sleep inside during the night, and leave her out during the day. She'll be fine with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

I had this same dilema last year, it was our first winter with Ben. We wanted him to be outside at night, but felt very guilty when there was frost on the ground, but we didn't want to confuse him with where his bed is. So we brought him once or twice when the frost was very bad and when it snowed, but he seems to know now that the kennel is his bed, so will do the same this year.

Yeah, Ben does the same and shreds any blankets you put in kennel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Purple.Rain

I keep our golden retreiver in utility room at night .... he has a bed but he prefers the ground most nights .... i cant give him any blankets or cushions cos he shreds them ... i hate to see him sleeping on cold tiles/plastic bed but he will not stop shredding his bedding .... :rolleyes:

i always said we would have ours sleeping outside but since getting him i prefer to have him in and part of the family ... he has his little routine of snoozing in the kitchen and heads off to utility room to sleep when told ....

i wouldnt be able to sleep myself if he was outside especially in the cold .... he is part of family and that involves sleeping inside .... :rolleyes:

now he as his kennel and a run outside for times during the day when no one is home ... thats his place to play and run around ....he has freedom of garden too when we are home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

hi, i have a 5 and half month old lab puppy she has been outside since 3 months last night there was frost and a thin layer of ice on her water bowl i got her a kennel that says it is fully insulated but am worried if she is too young still to be out in that cold can anyone give me any info on this
    i wouldnt worry too much. dogs (espeically labs) are built to take the cold. the breed originates from retreving game in freezing water on a long days hunting so their genetics are well built for it. I have a setter myself and she has her run and kennel outside and she's fine. giv her a blanker or two for comfort if you want but dont get into a tissy worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

jimmyn wrote: »
    What you could do is let her sleep inside during the night, and leave her out during the day. She'll be fine with that.

What would be the purpose of leaving her out during the day?

What would be the purpose of leaving her out during the day?

Presumably the owner has to go to work at some stage... You don't want to leave the dog inside if there's nobody there to bring her for pee breaks. I'm talking of course about an enclosed yard or dog run. Not out free to roam.

Sure, when the family is in the house, let her in.

Anyway, she's a lab. Spending time outside will be better for her overall health. Better for skin, coat etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

jimmyn wrote: »
    Anyway, she's a lab. Spending time outside will be better for her overall health. Better for skin, coat etc.
    Really? I've never heard this before. Is it to do with heating in the house or something?

Well, I'm no expert on health issues, but as far as I understand it, the issue has to do with the fact that a double coated dog like a Lab or Golden will shed it's insulating undercoat for the summer, and regrow it for the cold winter.

Central Heating and dogs being kept inside can confuse the natural cycle of shedding, resulting in year-round shedding. So it may be possible that the regrowth of the undercoat may not come in at the right time to keep the dog well protected for the winter.

A vet would probably have a better answer on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

thanks so much for all the replies. she is still sleeping outside for the moment anyway and after reading the replies i do feel better her kennel is fully insulated and she has a brand new bed (shredded bed) so since i put that in she dosnt look cold in the mornings.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Get some vet bed to put on the floor of the kennel, its not easily ripped up. I own a rottie that used to rip all his beds but now i just use vet bed and its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Vet bed is the only answer and considering how long it lasts and how much abuse it will put up with it's cheap in the long run. It's roughly about €12.00 a foot. You'd need plenty of extra spare ones for winter and larger than a foot since the pup will be a big dog.

Vet bed is so good it can even be put directly onto concrete (not that you would), it can be washed in the machine and dried in the dryer, doesn't take long to dry in the dryer and will dry over night on the rad.

You can power hose it as well.

Any pee or wet doesn't stay on the surface so the dog isn't sitting in wet. Fleece blankets are grand esp. in summer but they do hold on to condensation and can get very cold. Wether the kennel is insulated or not if the bedding is wet the dog will be cold.

Depending on the kennel even good kennels can be cold because the wind and rain blows directly in, something like a igloo kennel might be practical as the dog can go around the corner of it and the larger ones come with dog flaps. Dog flaps are a great way to keep out some of the cold but if it's windy the wind blows through them as well.

Making a little porch that turns to one side can help re direct the wind and rain, placing the kennel in a well sheltered spot eg outside porch, near to bushes or wall.

Ideally it would be better for the pup to be inside, even a utility room with a bed in it. I know labs are big chewers but they also chew out of boredom so plenty of kongs and walks during the day.

There's also heat pads you can get perhaps the chew proof one, would be ideal for your set up perhaps. You place the heat pad only on one side of the bed so the pup can move off it if he gets too hot. Also a timer and saftey thingymabob as well helps. So even if you are home late the dogs heat pad goes on. It's very cheap to run as well. Check out the link

http://www.petnap.co.uk/acatalog/pet_heat_pads.html#a30

No need to have the heat mat roasting just a mild warmth for the dog to snuggle up to, it will help keeping the bed dry. No matter what type of dog unless a mad thick coat like a husky, you don't want the pup sleeping on a wet or damp bed puppies can't control their temp as well as adult dogs can.

Go for the vet bed though it's bloomin marvelous, I've tried towels, fleeces, blankets, pillows, shredded paper (nightmare mess), Rogz beds (the condensation effects them so need to be changed before it does not great for outdoor use at all) Vet bed is the only one that passes all the tests, avoid cheaper versions and go for the origional vet bed.

Most pet shops sell it but if you can't find it check out this site http://www.bronteglen.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Keeping your dog outdoors:

Perhaps the biggest and most widely held misconception about dogs is the belief that they will be healthy and happy living only in the back garden. However, nothing could be further from the truth. Current studies in dog psychology show that dogs isolated in back gardens are highly likely to develop serious behavioural problems that often result in euthanasia for the animal.

OUTDOOR DOGS HAVE HIGHER RATES OF EUTHANASIA.They will have far more health problems due to differing changes in weather. Therefore your outdoor dog will probably rack up far more veterinary bills then a dog kept inside the family home.

DOGS ARE PACK ANIMALS THAT THRIVE ON COMPANIONSHIP. Dogs are highly sociable animals. In fact, dogs are more social than humans and need to be part of human families. When you own a dog, you become the dog's pack and he wants to be with his pack. Forcing a dog to live outside with little or no human companionship is one of the most psychological damaging things a pet owner can do to a dog. Even a dog that sleeps outside is being separated from his/her family and the comforts of surrounding smells, the dog will think its being punished by separating it from the family home. This in turn can be the cause of aggression in some dogs.

INCREASED AGGRESSION SEEN IN OUTDOOR DOGS. Dogs are territorial by nature so will naturally protect their sleeping areas. If a dog sleeps in a shed/kennel/garage he will defend it. As the dog will be the main inhabitant of the garden the dog will become the dominant leader in that area. This can lead to aggression towards family members as the dog becomes more comfortable in his surroundings.

OUTDOOR DOGS HAVE MORE BEHAVIORAL PROBLEMS. Since all your dog's instincts are telling him it is not good to be left alone or isolated from his pack, your dog can become very stressed or anxious. A dog exhibits stress by digging, barking, howling or whining, chewing, escaping, and exhibiting hyperactivity. These problems can become so troublesome that your neighbours may complain about the barking, howling, property destruction, or your dog escaping.

OUTDOOR DOGS ARE HARDER TO TRAIN. Considering a backyard dog does not develop a strong bond toward your family, he is harder to train than a dog allowed to be in the house with your family. This also makes him less responsive to commands. Your dog has a wonderful ability to learn and therefore to be housetrained. A dog who resides more in your house is a much happier animal, because of the security of a den and your companionship.

OUTDOOR DOGS MAKE LOUSY GUARD DOGS. As a dog becomes naturally protective of where he lives (his territory), he will only defend the place he lives in. If he is not allowed in the house, then the house will not become a place to protect. Most people keep their valuables inside their houses, so why wouldn't you want your dog to protect the inside of your house? Unless allowed to live inside, your dog will not develop that sense of territory. He will not sound the alarm when someone tries to invade your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

andreac wrote: »
    Get some vet bed to put on the floor of the kennel, its not easily ripped up. I own a rottie that used to rip all his beds but now i just use vet bed and its great.

Hi Andreac, I have a rottie (shredding machine) puppy, whats this vet bed? where can I get it and is it expensive? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I get mine at the dog shows but i think some pet shop sells it. Try these guys, they are at the shows and online too.

http://www.k9komforts.ie/

Honestly, its not that dear and its well worth getting a few pieces. Easy to wash too and dries really quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Isn't there a nice warm room she could sleep in inside? If she tears things up ect buy her a pen so she can't when your not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

Paul91 wrote: »
    bring the pup in - i don't understand why people keep dogs out at night time, you exclude them from being part of your pack - plus if they start barking in the middle of the night cos there is a cat you wake your neighbours

We would not rehome to a situation where a dog would be left out at night, I have 6 dogs and they all sleep indoors. Whats the point in having a pet if it is not part of the family ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

As a very short term solution use an electric heatpad specifically made for animals. Google Petnap & follow the instructions closely. Then understand the benefits of sharing your home & your life with your dog. Make the effort to understand your dog & teach it to live indoors.

I have two big dogs that live indoors. They get two off lead walks every day which means that I have to get up extra early so that they have had a good run before I go to work. I have done this since the age of 12. It is part of the responsibility of caring for a dog. They are both rescue's that came from difficult situations but with a little work they soon adapted & now they never chew or pee.

Dogs will respond to love, care & attention. They want to be be part of your family & they have so much to offer if you open your eyes & mind. It's nice to think that whilst I am out working my dogs have each other & will only bark if someone comes to the house which is perfect.

Advertisement