Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Comments So Far?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hey all just searching for parts now I've come up this so far- any comments?
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz LGA775
    RAM: DDR3 1333MHz 4GB 2x240 pin DIMMS
    Case: Antec NINE HUNDRED-II Case
    Motherboard: MAXIMUS EXTREME S775 X38 ATX SND+2XGLN+U2+1394 FSB1333 DDR3
    Graphics: RADEON HD 4850X2 2GB GDDR3 PCI-E QUAD-DVI TVO FULL

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yeah.. "What on Earth are you doing with this machine?" and "What's the budget?" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

im guessing this is for gaming, so i'd say its all fine apart from the graphics card. Hold of another week or two and get a 5750 card.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭friedcircuits

thanks both! whats that graphics card you mentioned? And yes pure games machine!!! and I've no budget whatever I like I'll get it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

thanks both! whats that graphics card you mentioned? And yes pure games machine!!! and I've no budget whatever I like I'll get it!

It's a new ati card. Great performance at a great price.

It's a new ati card. Great performance at a great price.
    thanks is this it?:
    http://www.techspot.com/review/198-ati-radeon-hd-5870-review/page2.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No that's the 5870, it's a higher end card. I just realised anti spelled it wrong, he meant the 5850.

yup my bad 5850 is what i meant. I hope to be picking one up myself when i get paid :D

No that's the 5870, it's a higher end card. I just realised anti spelled it wrong, he meant the 5850.

LOL. just reading up on it i think I'll go with the 5870!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

LOL. just reading up on it i think I'll go with the 5870!

5870 looks very good, if you can wait 'til the Sapphire Vapor-X ones are out, they should have a better and quieter cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Make sure that 5870 can fit in your case aswell.That is one monumentaly huge card !

@ Anti - What 5850 are you getting ? .Getting a Saphhire one myself (as soon as peats decide to stock them)

• Advertisement

Anti wrote: »
    yup my bad 5850 is what i meant. I hope to be picking one up myself when i get paid :D
    Ya lucky bastid. I'm tempted to get a 5850 or 5870 but I don't use my pc as much as I should (spend way more time on my netbook) and my 4870 still maxes out pretty much everything I throw at it. Still tempting though.

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Make sure that 5870 can fit in your case aswell.That is one monumentaly huge card !

@ Anti - What 5850 are you getting ? .Getting a Saphhire one myself (as soon as peats decide to stock them)

Yeah i think ill be getting the sapphire one myself through work, as ill get a nice little saving ;)

@AM Its so tempting, amazing performance, cheap price and low power consumption. Only thing is, ill have to buy a new case too.. So mayaswell get a new mobo, ram, cpu... oh god... I'm swore i would stay away from all this malarky...

Anti wrote: »
    Yeah i think ill be getting the sapphire one myself through work, as ill get a nice little saving ;)

@AM Its so tempting, amazing performance, cheap price and low power consumption. Only thing is, ill have to buy a new case too.. So mayaswell get a new mobo, ram, cpu... oh god... I'm swore i would stay away from all this malarky...
    Ha ha. It's always the way. Upgrading one component just isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

And yes pure games machine!!! and I've no budget whatever I like I'll get it!

No budget?
    Even if the skies the limit in terms of funds, it's not a reason not to be sensible.
    Once you spend over a certain amount the benefit becomes negligible to non-existent...

Will you be overclocking this machine?

Nope no o/c yet anyways maybe in the future. just want to build a machine thats future proof! currently have a 3 year old laptop that still runs all games I throw at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

future proof!

IMO Future proofing is a bit a fallacy...
    Getting just a quad core is just about as much future proofing you'll find in a gaming pc...
    Quads have been around for so long, yet there's still only a handful of games that use all four cores and they don't even max em out!

If I had an unlimited amount of money for my gaming rig, i'd prob just get an amd am2+ with the top Phenom II quad. 4g's of ram, ddr3 doesn't make any noticeable difference. And then splash out on a 5870(make sure your mobo has space for a second one too ;)) and a SSD!
    Then i would invest in the monitors and sound!!! Get maybe 3 24" (1200p)lcds and get a 7.1 speaker system... IMO that's the best gaming rig around!!!

Frothing at the mouth....

Advertisement