Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Laptop

Options
  • 07-10-2009 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I'm changing my laptop to an identical laptop with a blu-ray drive and extra ram, better processor, etc.

Is there any way I can just back up my C: drive and restore it onto the new laptop so I don't have to re-install all my programmes (would be very handy as can't find some of the install discs).
    I realise that I'd have to get the Blu-ray drivers for the new machine incase they were overwritten during the copy over but both machines are Vista Home Premium so apart from that can't think of any differences.

Does this sound workable or am I just looking for trouble ?
    Also, is there any tool worth using, rather than just backing up to external HDD and then pasting.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

back up your entire system onto an external

or if you dont mind using the same Hard Drive just put your current HD into the new laptop and everything should be fine, i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Kinda defeats the purpose of getting a new laptop though...

The old OS install is prob what made you old laptop slow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

windows transfer wizard, its actually pretty good for moving data across.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Effluo wrote: »
    Kinda defeats the purpose of getting a new laptop though...

The old OS install is prob what made you old laptop slow...

Old laptop has half the memory, much smaller processor...think that's what's making it slow. The OS was pre-installed !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

You could use an imaging utility like Acronis True Image or the likes to clone the partition on the old laptop onto the new one. Even though its a similar laptop, you may have to perform a Repair to the Operating System to get it booting once done as it may be missing important drivers for the new hardware on the new laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Anti wrote: »
    windows transfer wizard, its actually pretty good for moving data across.

yep. if theres one thing microsoft got right, its this

Advertisement